Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Larianne wrote: »
    :D Amazing date, eh ? YAY!
    *warms up hand for possible HIGH 5*

Well, I was very apprehensive earlier in the day and in the lead up to it. She couldn't have been any nicer though, loads of qualities I appreciated and she seemed to be pretty warm to me as well and we had things in common that I wouldn't have expected. I can only really talk from my point of view, and I am realistic about these things, but I really like her and am hopeful things pan out in a good way. To put it another way, although I haven't met up with many people, this is the first time I am a little anxious and nervous AFTER meeting up if that makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

What did you end up doing mate out of curiosity and have you been in contact about a possible second date? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Good stuff Wobbly :) And that_guy, things still going well? :)

That_Guy wrote: »
    What did you end up doing mate out of curiosity and have you been in contact about a possible second date? :)

Well it was kind of funny, had arranged to meet at a nice bar on the southside and then she got lost, on the other side of the river. :) So I headed over to her and we ended up going to a different bar. This in itself was a nice little ice breaker I think. Neither of us were drinking and we ended up chatting away for a good 3-4 hours. We spoke about meeting up again before we met up the first time. Haha. But now as I liked her, I'm kind of in that grey area of wondering does she like me but trying to play it cool when talking to her by text today. Like I said, I'm realistic about these things so I guess we will see.

Samich wrote: »
    Good stuff Wobbly :) And that_guy, things still going well? :)

Aye mate. Things still going great and she doesn't want to stab my face with a fork yet... I take this as a positive sign. :pac:

• Advertisement

We spoke about meeting up again before we met up the first time. Haha.

How does that work? :pac:
    But now as I liked her, I'm kind of in that grey area of wondering does she like me but trying to play it cool when talking to her by text today. Like I said, I'm realistic about these things so I guess we will see.

I kinda know where you're coming from. 3-4 hours of solid chats is a pretty good indication of a good date imo. No harm in asking her out again to be honest. Should probably do it sooner rather than later. :) You'll both probably have a better indication on the second date given that nerves may not play a factor anymore. :)

That_Guy wrote: »
    How does that work? :pac:

I kinda know where you're coming from. 3-4 hours of solid chats is a pretty good indication of a good date imo. No harm in asking her out again to be honest. Should probably do it sooner rather than later. :) You'll both probably have a better indication on the second date given that nerves may not play a factor anymore. :)

She jokingly suggested that she'd bought something to wear that would be better suited for the second date. Haha.

I'll leave it for a day or so before asking her directly I think. Probably the best approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

"Hi sexy, i give pleasure 2 all the ladies of kildare. U interested?"

/head desk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

You're Not really one to be talking about mis spelling user names now are ya?!?! ;)

Sorry graemes, what was that? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

C.D. wrote: »
    So I'm back on the market after a few months! A bit hesitant to get back into online dating.. let's just say from reading our (hilarious) threads the people who have success are the very lucky and small minority!

So, from memory, I'd have to look through 30 or so profiles to find one I would really be interested in. This might take 10 minutes.

I'd take 10 minutes, on average to read a profile and write a nice message.
    Total Time: 20 minutes

I would get a 15% response rate to messages.
    Total Time: 130 minutes to get one reply

The bulk of the messages would lead nowhere they might fizzle out or we might not be compatible. Let's say I exchange 5 messages before it either ends or progresses to SMS.
    Total Time: 180 minutes to get a good conversation

One in 5 might lead to a date.
    Total Time: 900 minutes to get a date

I'm essentially spending 15 hours to get a date. I honestly do not think my calculations are far off. Out of all the dates I've been on from OD I ended up seeing one girl, who was lovely, for a short while but it was going nowhere. I honestly do not think it is worth the investment of time needed to get a return! I would be very curious to hear from my fellow boardsies how much time they have to put in to get a date! Maybe I'm too picky, but that's another thread :D

This is all too familiar to me as well.

My (half-baked, possibly) theories are that firstly, the girls just want to boost their ego by telling their friends how many messages they receive, but ultimately don't take POF seriously.

Or, secondly, they won't bother to reply to guys unless they look like Brad Pitt, or some other ridiculous bronzed parody.

I am a journo and know how to write catchy messages in tune with the other person, but I'm not getting much out of it.

Dates? A handful in all - but not worth it for all the effort I put in.

I might not be a chiselled, catalogue model but I scrub up okay, keep myself fit and whatnot.

Frankly, in my experience of online dating, girls hold most of the cards. A bit like dating in general really.

*sighs*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MarkyTheLips

You're Not really one to be talking about mis spelling user names now are ya?!?! ;)

What are you even doing in here :P flaunting your happiness at the huddled masses! Scram!! :pac:...

PerrDub wrote: »
    Walking has not been an option recently until Summer arrived this week!

Though in a pub, you think you are doing well, splash out for the drinks only to be told "Nice ta see you, laters!" at the end of the night... Women are soo cruel!

Ain't that the truth.

I had a fantastic first date with a girl from Drogheda who I met in London. We got on really well, and then at the end of the evening she basically made some lame excuse and sprinted away. So disappointing.

I've learned my lesson on that one.

It's coffee from now on. If we hit it off we can do something else like drinks next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

VinLieger wrote: »
    Log into POF, oh whats this a reply? Nope just another singles night invite.

Difference with this one is I am seriously contemplating it due to how badly ive been doing online, has anyone from here been to one of these POF nights before?

One of the lads has posted about this night on this thread before and he sold it well to me one night in the pub! If I didn't have a 30th birthday to go to that night, I'd definitely would go! The hostesses are meant to do a really good job of keeping people mingling and not left on their on etc. Why not try it?
    Honey-ec wrote: »
    Well, POF guy and I decided that we couldn't wait til Wednesday to see eachother again, so we're going bowling this evening before he goes to work. I also got to see him unexpectedly last night for an hour or so. I think I'm a little bit smitten... :o

WoOoooo! ;)
    This is all too familiar to me as well.

My (half-baked, possibly) theories are that firstly, the girls just want to boost their ego by telling their friends how many messages they receive, but ultimately don't take POF seriously.

Or, secondly, they won't bother to reply to guys unless they look like Brad Pitt, or some other ridiculous bronzed parody.

I am a journo and know how to write catchy messages in tune with the other person, but I'm not getting much out of it.

Dates? A handful in all - but not worth it for all the effort I put in.

I might not be a chiselled, catalogue model but I scrub up okay, keep myself fit and whatnot.

Frankly, in my experience of online dating, girls hold most of the cards. A bit like dating in general really.

*sighs*

Pretty sure there's an option 3 to what girls want on those sites. ;)

Oh, and another thing: do girls ever initiate the contact with guys on POF?

I think it's happened to me twice in about two years.

Not cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Not cool!
    I've been messaged before and then a few messages in, was told I'm too young :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MarkyTheLips

PerrDub wrote: »
    Walking has not been an option recently until Summer arrived this week!

Though in a pub, you think you are doing well, splash out for the drinks only to be told "Nice ta see you, laters!" at the end of the night... Women are soo cruel!

Agree with the posts below you, you don't need an internet connection to find someone who'll let you buy 'em free gargle all night :) Swing a small-boned kitten in any bar in Dublin and you may hit someone who'd be happy to empty your wallet for you :rolleyes:

Not cool!

Yeah, I do it all the time! :o

Must be just the girls in London "playing it cool" then. Damn!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

I did it all the time too :-) although the guy that I'm seeing now made the first move :D

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

LoTwan wrote: »
    I did it all the time too :-) although the guy that I'm seeing now made the first move :D

Was wondering how you were getting on LoTwan . I am seeing someone also I met online he also made first contact . All going very well a few months now happy out :D. I went on to delete all my profiles as i was sick of it and he messaged me . We got on very well and even more so in person . It can work out well . Early days but all good . There are some good results out there :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭R019912

Really annoying when you see an unbelievably hot girl, then go down and read her profile and it says this:

"im (name) jus mvd home to dublin from belfast for my surperb job
    Im a very honest unreliable picy perzon, im NOt lookng for anytn serious cz lets face it who needs yas men,
    as im honest dnt bother writn me if ur over 30 boring, nt frm ireland and jus nt tat great cz i wnt reply,"

Yeah, good luck in life with that attitude :D The funny thing is she'll get loads of messages anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

R019912 wrote: »
    Really annoying when you see an unbelievably hot girl, then go down and read her profile and it says this:

Im a very honest unreliable picy perzon, im NOt lookng for anytn serious cz lets face it who needs yas men,
    as im honest dnt bother writn me if ur over 30 boring, nt frm ireland and jus nt tat great cz i wnt reply,"

Yes some women have a list the lenght of their arm of the things they don't want. It's like the majority of the male users are just a burden to them.

Most of them don't need to. If your inbox was getting flooded with messages would you bother initiating anything? You could just sit back and take your pick. ;)

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Yes some women have a list the lenght of their arm of the things they don't want. It's like the majority of the male users are just a burden to them.

Most of them don't need to. If your inbox was getting flooded with messages would you bother initiating anything? You could just sit back and take your pick. ;)

That's what I thought.

Online dating really is slanted in favour of females. Life can be cruel!

On your first point I totally agree. I might stumble on a pic of a good looking girl, then upon reading the profile it's all 'I don't like this, I don't like that'. After a while, it's easy to spot an attention-seeking time waster.

'Good looking' and 'attractive' are two completely different things IMHO. Even reading between the lines, many good looking girls on POF would not, to my mind, be attractive at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,024 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

R019912 wrote: »

Yeah, good luck in life with that attitude :D The funny thing is she'll get loads of messages anyways

I think I saw some of those words on Wheel of Fortune but thankfully they bought a vowel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭R019912

'Good looking' and 'attractive' are two completely different things IMHO. Even reading between the lines, many good looking girls on POF would not, to my mind, be attractive at all.

I can differentiate between good looking and attractive, but unfortunately I'll shamefully admit that when I see a girl that seems to have an attractive personality, but isn't good looking (in my view), then I won't message her. It might sound shallow to some but I really don't see the point in mailing someone that I don't find in the slightest bit good looking, even if they seem to have a decent personality. I've made the mistake before of getting to know girls online who were sound (but not good looking to me), but ultimately when the question came about meeting up I couldn't bring myself to do it. So I wasted my own time and theirs and felt like a pri*k about it.

I'm sure many girls do it to me anyways, I'm not amazing looking but tend to mail girls who are outta my league and rarely get replies. Ah well.

Daveysil15 wrote: »

Flooded with "Hey", "Hey Sexy" etc. etc. Kinda crappy. Its only rarely you'll get a decent thought out message from a guy, who's actually read your profile.

Flooded with "Hey", "Hey Sexy" etc. etc. Kinda crappy. Its only rarely you'll get a decent thought out message from a guy, who's actually read your profile.

I do actually write well-thought out, witty messages, Larianne. Maybe the POF 'experience' in Ireland is different somehow but clearly I'm doing something wrong!

I'm convinced in the majority of cases girls will reply to the sexy" 'hunk' who is a bit lame with the chat rather than those ordinary looking blokes like myself who actually make an effort.

Them's the breaks, sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Exactly, in other words...most of them are just a burden, and this is the view a lot of women seen to share. You can always choose to ignore the "Hey Sexy" comments. If a man was getting those sort of comments from women it would be flattering. Women just find it creepy or annoying. Would you rather fish in a sea with a few bad fish, or fish in a sea where there's no fish at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Me too but guys rarely if ever reply!! Guess I must look like a troll :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

That's what I thought.

Online dating really is slanted in favour of females. Life can be cruel!

On your first point I totally agree. I might stumble on a pic of a good looking girl, then upon reading the profile it's all 'I don't like this, I don't like that'. After a while, it's easy to spot an attention-seeking time waster.

I find the same on a lot of guys profiles too so it's not just girls who are picky! Lots of guys have don't bother if you're not hot or high maintainence, etc. well I just don't bother because if they start out that negative they are not my type.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement