Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Piliger wrote: »
    For me I just wish women would stop putting "average" body type when they are clearly frumpy and round. .

These days, that probably is average though.

Stastically speaking, I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭supermommy

Sky King wrote: »
    For me I just wish women would stop putting "average" body type when they are clearly frumpy and round. .

These days, that probably is average though.

Stastically speaking, I mean.

Women are not the only guilty parties to this! The amount of men either using fake pics or really old pics is disturbing.
    I tell the brutal truth about everything! Sure, yer meant to meet these people at some stage anyways. What's to gain by lying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

It's not about looks it's all about personality.

Sure I look like a trool too lol

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Northclare wrote: »

That's the thing though. For me it's less about the looks and more about the personality. Looks fade over time. As long as you get on well and there is some level of attraction I think that's a good start. Seems to me though people base a lot on profile pics. Pictures rarely reflect what the person looks like in person. I'd meet most guys in person if I found their personality attractive and give them a chance. Might be in the minority though I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

ladylost wrote: »
    That's the thing though. For me it's less about the looks and more about the personality. Looks fade over time. As long as you get on well and there is some level of attraction I think that's a good start. Seems to me though people base a lot on profile pics. Pictures rarely reflect what the person looks like in person. I'd meet most guys in person if I found their personality attractive and give them a chance. Might be in the minority though I think.

Unfortunately, in my experience you're definitely in the minority! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

A picture can only tell you so much. Yes, you can see what they look like but it's when you meet them that you get to see all those endearing little quirks that you don't get with a still image. :o

I wont deny it I have dated and gone out with the spinny in their minis and Brown Thomas shoppers and the MTV dance videos model types,
    But I just prefer the earthy woman,I had good times and craic with the gorgeous's but we just faded out because I love the country and they loved the city :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I've just noticed this on POF. This is actually quite common.

'pls do not contact me( i know it sounds mean nd wanna apologise all those nice men out there) if u less than
    5`10`(178)im a woman nd like to wear heels nd really bothers me if im taller than u'

I thought it was only blokes who were meant to be shallow? :rolleyes:

Anyway, who wants to date a high-maintenence princess with an allergy to spelling and grammar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I find this knocking of guys messages really tiresome. I have been on POF and BN and am on POF now. I get banal, one or two worded first messages from women on a regular basis and send them too.

Have you missed the reams of posts from men complaining about the exact same thing? It is not just women moaning about the men on OD on this thread - if you actually have a proper look back you'll see that both genders are pretty much equally fed up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭supermommy

I actually agree but the problem is that when you look so different from your pic cuz its so old, that I can't spot you coming up to me in the pub, I feel a bit duped. I would rather people just be honest from the start. I might be crazy tho. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I've just noticed this on POF. This is quite actually quite common.

'pls do not contact me( i know it sounds mean nd wanna apologise all those nice men out there) if u less than
    5`10`(178)im a woman nd like to wear heels nd really bothers me if im taller than u'

I thought it was only blokes who were meant to be shallow? :rolleyes:

Anyway, who wants to date a high-maintenence princess with an allergy to spelling and grammar?

Women are in it for looks just as much as men even though they TRY to claim they are not. It was a myth going around that it's personality they are after, the myth has been busted, maybe on Mythbusters?:D

The old fashion way is so much better and more real and certain in getting a date and we know what each other looks like, no deception. I called to a house to do a job for a woman yesterday, never met her before. She was very nice, friendly and chatted to me. She was cute too. Being cheeky, i texted her today and asked her out for a drink. We are going out on Thursday night :D, yes it was that simple :p

I like your style Micky.

Try Tescos on a Monday or Tue eve lol

You charmer lol

The old fashioned way is the best if ya like her go for it.....

I'm sure historically people flirted around hedge rows river sides or at gatherings...

The online thing is just so plastic or not really cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I like your style Micky.

Try Tescos on a Monday or Tue eve lol

You charmer lol

Tell you one thing, took me at least an hour to touch the send button after writing out the text, it was painful:)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

supermommy wrote: »
    I actually agree but the problem is that when you look so different from your pic cuz its so old, that I can't spot you coming up to me in the pub, I feel a bit duped. I would rather people just be honest from the start. I might be crazy tho. :)

Yeah I know what you mean and think that's bad form and misleading. What I mean is purely clicking on a profile or contacting them only if you like their pic. I don't have a picture up most of the time so maybe that's why I get so few messages. I do include a picture when contacting someone first though even if they don't have a picture up.

You'd swear with the way my dad was talking to me today that I don't stand a chance with the "old fashioned" way. The problem is, I think he's right. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

hi
    hi sexy
    copy & paste generic messages

I've put a couple of unusual things in my profile as a test to see if they pick up on it when they message me. These things are also great conversation starters so it helps create a flow.
    Larianne wrote: »
    "Hi, I read your profile and you seem really nice and interesting. My name is X, I'm 28 years old from Y. I think we have a few things in common. Would you like to chat?"

If they mention your profile but don't mention anything from your profile, its usually a copy and paste job.

In fairness, a lot of women have little or nothing in their profile description. You can't pick out something from their profile when its completely blank. A lot of guys will use the copy and paste technique because it saves a lot of time. Most messages I've received from women have also been very generic with no real effort put in, but I still reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭chocolatrose

" Hello sweetly, how you doing"

Ah Sweetly...WTF!!!!!

" Hello sweetly, how you doing"

Ah Sweetly...WTF!!!!!

I log into POF... NOTHING!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I log into POF... NOTHING!!! :(

I log into POF, my best friends brother mailed. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MarkyTheLips

Awkward c*ck pic #45 in a series of 3,765 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭chocolatrose

That's not awkward at all :o haha

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Have you missed the reams of posts from men complaining about the exact same thing? It is not just women moaning about the men on OD on this thread - if you actually have a proper look back you'll see that both genders are pretty much equally fed up with it.

Agreed - although that seems to be the only sort of message I'm getting currently!

If women have no information in their profiles then how do you send them a message that's not generic?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    If women have no information in their profiles then how do you send them a message that's not generic?

Agreed.

Also I notice POF won't allow anyone to include email addresses in their messages ....... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MarkyTheLips

That's not awkward at all :o haha

Should see the doctor about all that blushing, choc! Or is that what's causing it?? :pac:....

I've noticed more and more women using fake photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Erm, I think he was calling me by my username!

Wellllllll... That was embarrassing for me! :pac:

Apologies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I called to a house to do a job for a woman yesterday, never met her before. She was very nice, friendly and chatted to me. She was cute too. Being cheeky, i texted her today and asked her out for a drink. We are going out on Thursday night :D, yes it was that simple :p

Ah thats deadly Micky. Fair play to you. Wish some of the nice guys who've been in and out of my place recently (problem with my boiler! Ohh er!) had asked me out. And i even offered to make them tea :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

supermommy wrote: »

Or are economical with the truth in your profile description. As in the guy i met. Profile: 6ft, athletic build, blond and a photo of him in his calendar days!!
    IRL: 5ft10 (maybe), Average build with a bit of a beer belly, dark brown hair and definitely not the same person as in the pic. Now all of this was ok with me except for the fact that i'd never have found him in the pub going by his description if he hadn't told me exactly where he was sitting and what he was wearing. Anyhoo he turned out to be a pr1ck but for none of the above reasons. Perhaps i shpuld have realised that he was capable of telling whoppers if he lied about such things! :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement