Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

ChannelNo5 wrote: »
    Or are economical with the truth in your profile description. As in the guy i met. Profile: 6ft, athletic build, blond and a photo of him in his calendar days!!
    IRL: 5ft10 (maybe), Average build with a bit of a beer belly, dark brown hair and definitely not the same person as in the pic. Now all of this was ok with me except for the fact that i'd never have found him in the pub going by his description if he hadn't told me exactly where he was sitting and what he was wearing. Anyhoo he turned out to be a pr1ck but for none of the above reasons. Perhaps i shpuld have realised that he was capable of telling whoppers if he lied about such things! :confused:

I would NOT be ok with any of that. It was a completely different person altogether? Sorry, I'd have walked straight out. Whatever about "massaging" the stats on their profile, putting up a completely fake pic is absolutely unacceptable. I can't believe these idiots have the cojones to
    actually go and meet people.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I would NOT be ok with any of that. It was a completely different person altogether? Sorry, I'd have walked straight out. Whatever about "massaging" the stats on their profile, putting up a completely fake pic is absolutely unacceptable. I can't believe these idiots have the cojones to
    actually go and meet people.

Bit difficult to prove though Honey (May I call you honey?;)) He did say it was 10 years old but i found it hard to believe he ever looked like that, even 10 years ago, but yeah why put it there at all :( I did pull him up about the hair colour, the only bit i could really query (he may have a magic mirror at home that he's a 6ft athlete in) and he said he used to be blonde!! ... Yup! Should have walked out... Too nice me!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Tk God I have a photos up of me a week ago lol

I cannot tell lies :)

The pic (if it was him) being 10 years old was still reason enough to walk out. What a woejus chancer. I do accept that it's very hard to just get up and walk once you're there, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Or are economical with the truth in your profile description. As in the guy i met. Profile: 6ft, athletic build, blond and a photo of him in his calendar days!!
    IRL: 5ft10 (maybe), Average build with a bit of a beer belly, dark brown hair and definitely not the same person as in the pic. Now all of this was ok with me except for the fact that i'd never have found him in the pub going by his description if he hadn't told me exactly where he was sitting and what he was wearing. Anyhoo he turned out to be a pr1ck but for none of the above reasons. Perhaps i shpuld have realised that he was capable of telling whoppers if he lied about such things! :confused:

How does someone even have the balls to do something like this? Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Start as one means to go on.

I think there's people who believe in their own lies.

I had that experience before too,in her pic and profile description she looked like Gwyenth Palthrow
    In reality 3 Gwyneth would have been more honest.

I fancy all kinds of women from a size8 to 16 as some women who have that feminine confidence ooze sexiness ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

How does someone even have the balls to do something like this? Seriously?

For this reason!
    Northclare wrote: »
    I think there's people who believe in their own lies.

He didn't mention anything he'd said in his profile and certainly wasn't embarassed and to be honest for a while i thought i'd actually arranged to meet a different guy :o It was only when he talked about his occupation that i was sure it was the same guy. By that stage i couldn't leave! I hate confrontation! I am a sap! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sarah_12

I met my now boyfriend on POF and we're almost together a year now. There are some lovely people on it if you give it a chance, there are also alot of creepy people on it too! It worked for me anyway so theres hope for you all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Bit difficult to prove though Honey (May I call you honey?;)) He did say it was 10 years old but i found it hard to believe he ever looked like that, even 10 years ago, but yeah why put it there at all :( I did pull him up about the hair colour, the only bit i could really query (he may have a magic mirror at home that he's a 6ft athlete in) and he said he used to be blonde!! ... Yup! Should have walked out... Too nice me!! :o

That is just ridiculous and dishonest to put up a 10 year old pic! You would have been well within your rights to walk out and leave him there. You are too nice! How disappointing after going to the effort of getting dressed up for a date to be met with dishonesty.

Sarah_12 wrote: »
    I met my now boyfriend on POF and we're almost together a year now. There are some lovely people on it if you give it a chance, there are also alot of creepy people on it too! It worked for me anyway so theres hope for you all! :)

Thanks for the hope Sarah. Always good to hear the positive stories.
    I don't seem to get chatting with the nice guys at the moment. I think it's time to delete my profile and cut my losses. Have a few guys contacting me continuously but the meet up never happens. It's a total head wreck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

supermommy wrote: »
    I actually agree but the problem is that when you look so different from your pic cuz its so old, that I can't spot you coming up to me in the pub, I feel a bit duped.

I'd say in close to half the dates from online dating I've been on I didn't recognise the person approaching me, whether they looked significantly older, 'larger' or just plain different looking... that said in one instance I did not initially recognise a gal as she was way better looking than in her profile pics. That was an amusing icebreaker. :o

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'd say in close to half the dates from online dating I've been on I didn't recognise the person approaching me, whether they looked significantly older, 'larger' or just plain different looking... that said in one instance I did not initially recognise a gal as she was way better looking than in her profile pics. That was an amusing icebreaker. :o

It is amazing how different people can look in photos when compared to real life isn't it? I have 6 photos up (none of which are in a pub or with a drink in hand) so that people have a good idea of what I look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm wary of profiles with only one photo as everybody has that one picture where the universe conspired to make them look way better than usual. I'm also wary of profiles with a few photos but all from the same angle (some people are great at playing the angle/lighting game to look as pretty as possible) or ones where all the pictures where clearly taken on the same night (killer dress, best makeup etc.) because let's be honest, everyone looked good on their own 21st...
    Wow, I'm such a cynic. Several times bitten and all that I guess...

I'm wary of profiles with only one photo as everybody has that one picture where the universe conspired to make them look way better than usual. I'm also wary of profiles with a few photos but all from the same angle (some people are great at playing the angle/lighting game to look as pretty as possible) or ones where all the pictures where clearly taken on the same night (killer dress, best makeup etc.) because let's be honest, everyone looked good on their own 21st...
    Wow, I'm such a cynic. Several times bitten and all that I guess...

Yes, and again, the photos of me are from different angles and taken inside and outside. In one or two I'm kind of 'dressed up' but in others I just have a t-shirt on.

Decided against the make up in the end. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MarkyTheLips

It is amazing how different people can look in photos when compared to real life isn't it? I have 6 photos up (none of which are in a pub or with a drink in hand) so that people have a good idea of what I look like.

That's why even if I'm meeting them for a picnic in Stephen's Green I always have a pint in my hand so they'll recognise me from my pics :cool:

Any update on opposite-of-car crash girl?

The oldest pic I have up is two years old, the most recent is two months ago I look pretty much the same :) (actually I do have a REALLY old pic up but it's pretty obvious!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

That's not awkward at all :o haha

Hah, it would kinda be that way but we're just slagging each other, she tells him everything....

Besides, I know he's wearing makeup in his POF pictures, my friend did a bit of a makeover on him when he was setting it up. Not much he can say really. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

ladylost wrote: »
    That is just ridiculous and dishonest to put up a 10 year old pic! You would have been well within your rights to walk out and leave him there. You are too nice! How disappointing after going to the effort of getting dressed up for a date to be met with dishonesty.

It's our age old problem in Ireland of being toooo nice and not wanting to upset people.

I met a lady in a pub off George's Street a few years ago. Her pic was so pretty and slim, I was so looking forward to it.

When she appeared she was about 6 years older, very large and VERY chunky.

I'm not saying she was ugly. But I should have walked out :(

Have been very lucky mostly with those i've met. Some looked better than pic and some said I did too. One or two lied about their height alright but I wouldn't really walk for that. It would only be an inch or 2 anyway. And believe it or not I have never been sent any pics at all of any guys anatomy. Not sure if I should feel left out on that one though!

That's why even if I'm meeting them for a picnic in Stephen's Green I always have a pint in my hand so they'll recognise me from my pics :cool:

Any update on opposite-of-car crash girl?

The oldest pic I have up is two years old, the most recent is two months ago I look pretty much the same :) (actually I do have a REALLY old pic up but it's pretty obvious!)

Not really, she kind of agreed to going out again but there is definitely a bit of radio silence compared to last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sarah_12

ladylost wrote: »
    Thanks for the hope Sarah. Always good to hear the positive stories.
    I don't seem to get chatting with the nice guys at the moment. I think it's time to delete my profile and cut my losses. Have a few guys contacting me continuously but the meet up never happens. It's a total head wreck!

I know I went through alot of that too but eventually someone genuine and worthwhile will come along, probably when you're least expecting it too! I know thats what happened for me anyway :)

• Advertisement

I'm wary of profiles with only one photo as everybody has that one picture where the universe conspired to make them look way better than usual.

Oh God, yes. Or profiles where they're wearing sunglasses/a baseball cap in every photo. Everyone is attractive in sunglasses and/or a baseball cap.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I got a message from a guy last night who had one pic of him and two pics of dolpins in the sea. What's the point in doing that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I got a message from a guy last night who had one pic of him and two pics of dolpins in the sea. What's the point in doing that?

Ha I saw something similar. A girl had one photo of herself and 3 photos of her cat. Another girl had one photo of her face and another photo of Georgia salpa's bum. :pac:

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Another girl had one photo of her face and another photo of Georgia salpa's bum. :pac:

Spot the difference?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Spot the difference?? :D

I noticed the bum photo first, and I said wow she's beauti.......woah wait, she's not! Then I was thinking... Butterface. :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Thanks to Larianne for some updates to the profile :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Just spotted my spelling mistake in the last post, oops!

This evening I got a lovely message from a guy - shame his main profile picture and the one other picture in his profile are both of his Armani-wearing crotch :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

There is such a high emphasis on looks in this online dating thing. It's depressing for us average joes. Imagine being able to notice someone is a centimetre shorter than their stats, feck.

Just spotted my spelling mistake in the last post, oops!

This evening I got a lovely message from a guy - shame his main profile picture and the one other picture in his profile are both of his Armani-wearing crotch :eek:

Dude has a rich crotch maybe it owns an island don't be so hasty ;) did you reply out of curiousity because the message was nice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

There is such a high emphasis on looks in this online dating thing. It's depressing for us average joes. Imagine being able to notice someone is a centimetre shorter than their stats, feck.

Or us larger roly poly women.

I have to say that on the whole the men I have met have looked as their photos, yes a inch or two in height has been added but I don't mind that. I take a really bad picture and have been told (a few times now) that I am much more prettier in the flesh than my pics but since most people judge my pictures many of them haven't wanted to meet me.

I think both men and women experience frustration with OD but in different ways, women want men to respond to them personally, they want the man to be interested in them, which is why the man that makes reference to a woman's profile (I am talking about women's profiles that are filled out properly with no stupid lists aka the brilliant smart women) then he will get a response.

Men are frustrated with the huge numbers of women on it for an ego buzz and the serious lack of messages.

@Larriane I smiled wryly at your post on responding to the hey sexy message, like you I have done similar to see where it will go, it inevitably goes like what you described, they are not even willing to give action in real life, just want you to talk dirty so they can get their jollies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement