Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Varied wrote: »
    There is such a high emphasis on looks in this online dating thing. It's depressing for us average joes. Imagine being able to notice someone is a centimetre shorter than their stats, feck.

I don't agree. People are visually judgemental in life just as much except you never know it. People judge each other by their first visual impression, online or offline.

What shocks me is how many women put deeply, and I mean DEEPLY unflattering photos of themselves online. It is evident that they could look 100% better, but it seems they can't be arse'd getting a friend to take a nice photo...weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Karsini wrote: »
    You'd swear with the way my dad was talking to me today that I don't stand a chance with the "old fashioned" way. The problem is, I think he's right. :(

What did he say? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Piliger wrote: »
    What shocks me is how many women put deeply, and I mean DEEPLY unflattering photos of themselves online. It is evident that they could look 100% better, but it seems they can't be arse'd getting a friend to take a nice photo...weird.

Oh you mean like the duck face? That NEVER makes a woman look good - not even in a "Oh haha, she's being ironic and must have a good sense of humour way".

Just saw a profile and one of the girl's pics was a screengrab of her on take Me Out.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!!?!? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Piliger wrote: »

Well they obviously think they are lovely!!! Next time you are on a night out take a look at the way some of the people (okay women) look. They clearly don't have good friends because if they did they wouldn't go out in the outfits they are in or with the orange tan etc!! And whats the deal with the shoes that are too big??? :eek:

• Advertisement

Samich wrote: »
    What did he say? :)

Well I don't drink or go out much, don't have many friends either. So he's been advising me to use online dating because of that, and also because I might be more likely to find someone who is suited to me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Dude has a rich crotch maybe it owns an island don't be so hasty ;) did you reply out of curiousity because the message was nice?

I had a look at his profile and he put no effort into it. He answered about 2 of the usual questions and gave one line to his description. I didn't answer him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

There is such a high emphasis on looks in this online dating thing. It's depressing for us average joes. Imagine being able to notice someone is a centimetre shorter than their stats, feck.

A centimetre shorter than their stats is fine. Four inches shorter is not.

It's the dishonesty that p!sses most people off, not the fact that the person isn't some kind of bronzed Adonis.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

I'd be happy out with an average joe but the average Joe's seem to want supermodels!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭supermommy

Honey-ec wrote: »

A centimetre shorter than their stats is fine. Four inches shorter is not.

It's the dishonesty that p!sses most people off, not the fact that the person isn't some kind of bronzed Adonis.

+1
    I much prefer the average joes myself, most of the good looking guys on pof have outta control egos to go with them...and women queued out the door...

It's totally about the dishonesty. If they lie about the little things, surely they will lie some more. Was chattin to someone recently who said his pics were his. I said I didnt believe him. So to prove it, he sent me pics, which only proved he was a liebag! It's just sad...
    Confidence in yourself is sexier than people seem to realise, no matter what ya look like :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

As I said from a size 8 to 16 if she oozes that femme confidence and a good humor well get along well :)

I'm an average Joe and have no problem attracting women :S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

So it looks like I'll be meeting a girl for coffee tomorrow at lunchtime.

:D

So it looks like I'll be meeting a girl for coffee tomorrow at lunchtime.

:D

*touched wobblyknees on the shoulder*

Ooooooohhhhh........

Galvasean wrote: »
    *touched wobblyknees on the shoulder*

Ooooooohhhhh........

Eh?

Aha, I don't watch it so wooooooosh.

ladylost wrote: »
    I'd be happy out with an average joe but the average Joe's seem to want supermodels!! :mad:

Can't we just go one day on this thread without someone saying, "Girls/guys only want Brad Pitt/supermodels"? It's completely untrue and helps no one.

Can't we just go one day on this thread without someone saying, "Girls/guys only want Brad Pitt/supermodels"? It's completely untrue and helps no one.

People are talking about their personal experience and perhaps I worded it incorrectly but that's my experience. Not sure why my particular post was singled out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

I think he wasn't singling out you as there's been a few posts over the last few weeks about gorgeous's and models etc

People are talking about their personal experience and perhaps I worded it incorrectly but that's my experience.

From your experience are they actually saying they want a supermodel or is that an assumption? (aw crap, now I'm being a pendant)
    Not sure why my particular post was singled out!!

No reason other than bad timing. I'd say 'being used as a current example' is a much more accurate description than 'singled out'.
    It seems every day someone is on here complaining that the opposite sex are only looking for supermodels / Brad Pitt lookalikes. It's a baseless assumption and it's getting quite tiresome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

From your experience are they actually saying they want a supermodel or is that an assumption? (aw crap, now I'm being a pendant)

No reason other than bad timing. I'd say 'being used as a current example' is a much more accurate description than 'singled out'.
    It seems every day someone is on here complaining that the opposite sex are only looking for supermodels / Brad Pitt lookalikes. It's a baseless assumption and it's getting quite tiresome.

Just because it isnt happening in your experience doesn't mean it isn't true.

If a good few people are saying its happening then it's happening. That's like me saying to you that you dismissing other peoples opinions is getting quite tiresome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Some people have inflated expectations. Apparently there's plenty of Eastern European women who look like models, but are dating very average looking men. It depends on what you'd call a super model. Not all women like Brad Pitt either. Some women like Russel Brand, who has a head of hair like a fat man's crotch.

You are being a pedant. No one is forcing you to read my or anyone else's posts. I'm entitled to my opinion and I'm not planning to change it. You don't have to agree with my opinion. Each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭chocolatrose

So does anyone else find it a bit odd that some men seem to list "women" in their list of interests on pof?? Seems to be quite common place

I mean I get you're interested in women, being that you are on a dating site but listing women as a genuine interest(hobby)...
    hmmm scratching my head here :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

So does anyone else find it a bit odd that some men seem to list "women" in their list of interests on pof?? Seems to be quite common place

I mean I get you're interested in women, being that you are on a dating site but listing women as a genuine interest(hobby)...
    hmmm scratching my head here :confused:

Probably gynaecologists. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I was browsing POF last nite and came across a profile and she had very little clothes on and a topless pic . The funniest bit was all she did was complain on her profile about having her accounted deleted 5 times and men old enough to be her father sending her messages . I have to say it made me laugh alot .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭chocolatrose

I was browsing POF last nite and came across a profile and she had very little clothes on and a topless pic . The funniest bit was all she did was complain on her profile about having her accounted deleted 5 times and men old enough to be her father sending her messages . I have to say it made me laugh alot .

Oh for god's sake, those girls are pathetic attention seekers. Honestly, they have issues if they need to expose themselves like that just to get an ego boost!!! If I was a guy I'd be running a mile from a thing like that:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dolly Daydreams

So, after great first meet last week,got on great, texted everyday. It now seems I've been blanker since yesterday. Sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Havent been on here for a while as I was away in Poland for a while etc met a girl from POF last night, got on well plenty in common and im cautiously optimistic.

• Advertisement

So, after great first meet last week,got on great, texted everyday. It now seems I've been blanker since yesterday. Sigh

That's a shame. Any chance they are just super busy and haven't had a chance to reply?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement