Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Ah, more fodder for my book... Got the following message from a guy in Cork (I'm in Dublin) on Friday night:

"Luv to meet for fun".

Didn't bother replying, for myriad reasons. Woke up on Saturday morning to the following charming missives, sent within 20 minutes of eachother:

"Here what makes u so special as to ignore people when they msg u like ur no oil painting urself"

and

"No personality ignorant rude shallow dragged-up bent c*nt is all u are a good kick in the mouth u need u low life tramp"

I'm not going to lie, I LOL'd, profusely.

Even though you laughed would definitely block him and report him. That's very agressive, violent and downright scary talk!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

ladylost wrote: »
    Even though you laughed would definitely block him and report him. That's very agressive, violent and downright scary talk!! :eek:

I probably will, next time I log on from an actual PC. He'll be the first person I've ever reported on POF!

Oh yeah, also meant to say, in relation to the "But she's been online loads" comments that pop up from time to time, I wouldn't read too much into someone appearing to be online at any given time. My phone basically leaves me logged in 24/7 (even after I log myself out, it logs me back in automatically) so while it looks like I'm online all the time (and ignoring people's messages), that's not necessarily the case - I haven't actually checked my inbox since Saturday evening.

So, just cause someone is listed as being online, it doesn't necessarily meant that they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

I probably will, next time I log on from an actual PC. He'll be the first person I've ever reported on POF!

Oh yeah, also meant to say, in relation to the "But she's been online loads" comments that pop up from time to time, I wouldn't read too much into someone appearing to be online at any given time. My phone basically leaves me logged in 24/7 (even after I log myself out, it logs me back in automatically) so while it looks like I'm online all the time (and ignoring people's messages), that's not necessarily the case - I haven't actually checked my inbox since Saturday evening.

So, just cause someone is listed as being online, it doesn't necessarily meant that they are.

i've noticed this also, and i wonder if this is why you received those vile msg's from that man, albeit he seems a bit strung out..

i've noticed this also, and i wonder if this is why you received those vile msg's from that man, albeit he seems a bit strung out..

Nah, he's just a twat.

Seriously, if someone doesn't reply to a message, just move on. Who has the time (or energy) to sit there sending nasty follow-up messages to everyone who's ever blanked them? And in fairness, going on his first message, I'd imagine he gets blanked a lot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MarkyTheLips

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    If you're looking for a FWB thing, have you tried sites like IntimateEncounters?

:eek: cornflakegurl88 is that you???? :pac: enjoy that date :) fingers,toes and everything crossable.....crossed! Didn't realise he was from IRL?

• Advertisement

Nah, he's just a twat.

Seriously, if someone doesn't reply to a message, just move on. Who has the time (or energy) to sit there sending nasty follow-up messages to everyone who's ever blanked them? And in fairness, going on his first message, I'd imagine he gets blanked a lot...

ahh i dont doubt it, he's a tack of an elephant it seems, it's just interested that you say it leaves you logged on ....

Mods, hopefully this isn't agains the charter, delete if so, but I've been blogging a bit about my online dating experiences, it might give yis a giggle - www.ruminationsrugbyruination.blogspot.ie
    it's just interested that you say it leaves you logged on ....

Yeah, it drives me mad. I log myself out but as soon as someone messages me it seems to automatically log me back in. I get a constant stream of messages from people at like, 3, 4 and 5am saying "Can't sleep, eh?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

:eek: cornflakegurl88 is that you???? :pac: enjoy that date :) fingers,toes and everything crossable.....crossed! Didn't realise he was from IRL?

I don't understand the cornflake reference :(

He's not from IRL, just from another site that's for social networking and dating. :3

As if I'd date someone from IRL. They're scary! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I tried this for a little while, hadn't logged in in ages, so just deleted my account, took me forever to figure out how to delete it!
    I guess it's not for me, never met a girl from internet before, never needed to, but I'm living abroad and it hasn't been easy meeting women. One thing it did do is make things seem even more desperate, I must have sent 100s of messages and 99% of them ignored, must be tonnes of real catches on that site so! Good luck the rest of you though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

The perfect 6th date lol

Lovely day for a romantic soft barefoot walk on Inch Beach Kerry.
    Then we could retire back to a small thatched farmhouse facing the Atlantic, and dry off by the fire.....

And relax on a soft warm couch....

The fridge would have enough food and refreshments to last 4 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Sitting here. No replies or page views since yesterday.
    Can't rush destiny :)
    Ah, good ol' melodrama

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Galvasean wrote: »
    Sitting here. No replies or page views since yesterday.
    Can't rush destiny :)
    Ah, good ol' melodrama

There's obviously something wrong with all the womenfolk. Couldn't possibly be a problem with you. :p

There's obviously something wrong with all the womenfolk. Couldn't possibly be a problem with you.

Nail on head.

I don't understand the cornflake reference :(

He's not from IRL, just from another site that's for social networking and dating. :3

As if I'd date someone from IRL. They're scary! :pac:

It's a reference to a tori amos song, just pulled it outta the air! Sounds like an OD style username though :pac:

He's not the last remaining human on Faceparty is he?? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

just from another site that's for social networking and dating. :3
    Is it free? Any chance of the link?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

"Luv to meet for fun".

Didn't bother replying, for myriad reasons. Woke up on Saturday morning to the following charming missives, sent within 20 minutes of eachother:

"Here what makes u so special as to ignore people when they msg u like ur no oil painting urself"

and

"No personality ignorant rude shallow dragged-up bent c*nt is all u are a good kick in the mouth u need u low life tramp"

I'm not going to lie, I LOL'd, profusely.

That type of behaviour is just pure abusive and I know it is probably best to laugh it off but not everyone can. That kind of talk has me pressing the delete button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Back to repeatedly hitting "Refresh" on my home page on POF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

It's addictive lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Sometimes I wonder if the girls on POF are being truthful when they say their age. There's a few girls I've saw pictures of and they look a LOT older than they say they are. One girl said she was 30 and I'd have her pegged as mid thirties at least, or closer to 40.

Although I notice it's mostly the one's who are smokers who seem to suffer from that affliction.

Got a reply on OKC today.
    *takes off sunglasses*
    Mother of God...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭miaowsky

I appear to be getting phased out by this guy...any tips on how to get over it? It's just plain rude not to return phonecalls and to leave someone hanging, and hoping that something will come from it :/

miaowsky wrote: »
    I appear to be getting phased out by this guy...any tips on how to get over it? It's just plain rude not to return phonecalls and to leave someone hanging, and hoping that something will come from it :/

Been in that situation. It's never nice. Not much you can do but move on and forget him. I know that's not much in the way of advice, but there aint much else you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭chocolatrose

You're best off just presuming the worst, putting him behind you, and moving on. At least that way you can put the disappointment feeling behind you faster instead of holding on to any hope of it going anywhere. And if it turns out any different well in good. Onwards and upwards. Try not to let it get you down.

I;m afraid best bet is to move on and forget about him, did he loose interest, there's only so much of a chase i'll give if it goes now where

Rip it off like a band aid.. one sharp pain is better than a death of a thousand cuts. Just don't respond to him next time/resist temptation to contact. If he's this rude, he's not worth a toss. Sorry about it, it sucks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Few dates lined up this week but seriously sceptical. I seem to be having more luck in the pubs/clubs these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭miaowsky

Thanks all! I can dish out the same advice to others, but just cannot seem to take it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Has anybody else seen the traveller girl on POF. She has pictures of herself in the caravan with lots of make-up. Savage body on her all the same.

Linky via pm???

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Colours

I've been a lukewarm, on-off member of anotherfriend, okcupid and POF, with the most promising results by a long shot coming from POF where I met a few nice guys but in the long run nothing substantial came out of it. I'm 36 and would like to meet a man with a view to having a relationship with a man but currently this prospect seems ever more remote. Obviously for a relationship to be established we'd have to be in general harmony in our outlook on life and lifestyle habits. These are the things I ran into trouble with with the few guys I met whom I felt a flicker of something for. Like for example with one guy, it seemed like we clicked in everyway and I was physically attracted to him but after a while it was clear that he had no problem drinking alcohol every evening religioiusly and this got to me and everything unravelled due to that. This kind of difference is hard to detect or weed out on an online dating site so it really is hit or miss if you find someone that really is going to compliment you and vice versa. I reckon that dating sites are best regarded as solely an media for finding a sample of candidates who generally meet the criteria which are important to you and then following through and meeting them in person to work out if you feel there may be signs for a potential connection. I don't see that a connection can be made online prior to actually meeting up face to face.

Having said all that I feel a bit disillusioned with the online dating realm and after hearing a friend share the same sentiment and mentioning looking into an actual introduction agency, it got me thinking that perhaps this may yield better, more tangible possibilities because the idea as far as I understand it is that all candidates get vetted by an actual person as opposed to a computer program so this may be the vital human touch that all the online dating sites are lacking.

Has anyone ever used the services of an introduction agency? If so, what were your impressions, experiences?

• Advertisement

Thanks all! I can dish out the same advice to others, but just cannot seem to take it myself.

I was thinking that about myself as I typed. It's one thing to tell someone else what to do, but when you are in the situation yourself the advice is hard to follow..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement