Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Got a generic one line message from a girl. But since had no other messages, figured would reply. Next message then was just another one line question. 3rd message was just "Where are you from?"
    Ummmm, I know reading profiles isn't always the done thing if talking to someone, but why ask a question when the answer is actually in the common profile details. I'd see through it if I just named the county twice(amazing how many people from Donegal, Donegal there are. Clearly everyone in Donegal Town is single) but I named the specific town.

Think I might have went on a couple of dates with that lady,
    she explained that she was just a lazy typist, she had a double barrel name but only bothered tying the first.

Loads of very short messages and texts.
    Grand lady in fairness - just didnt work out between us*
    (* well the mean part of me thinks that she decided from the start that she was the better looking one of the two of us so she did have to put much effort into texts messages or even the potential relationship etc, )

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Well date 2 with Saturday Guy went grand. At first I was like “I don’t like him as much as I did on Saturday” but he kind of grew on me again throughout the evening. He loved the restaurant I chose, which was a relief cause I'd talked it up big time and it's on the opposite side of the city to him. Went for a drink then and had a good old natter and a bit of a snog. He dropped me home afterwards and we had a good old wear in the car. I’d definitely see him again if he asked but I’m not absolutely mad about him or anything.

Sounds like its going ok but I hadnt heard the phrase in bold before, not sure what it means .... ???
    Not trying to be smart; if its a well know phrase for something my apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

macjohn wrote: »
    she explained that she was just a lazy typist, she had a double barrel name but only bothered tying the first.

(* well the mean part of me thinks that she decided from the start that she was the better looking one of the two of us so she did have to put much effort into texts messages or even the potential relationship etc, )

Sounds like its going ok but I hadnt heard the phrase in bold before, not sure what it means .... ???

I'd say she means wearing the face off each other i.e. SCORE :D

Sent my first message on PoF in quite a while, fingers crossed! Have gotten a few messages from women I'm not attracted to, shame but hopefully that will change too

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Okay, what's the story with this - I got a message today regarding the following (and I've gotten it twice before in the past) - where someone messages me and says "Oh X has left their computer on and is asleep/gone to the shop. Want to have a bit of fun with him?? Here's his number, call him from a private number and tell him X, Y, Z"

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Is that an example of the "reverse psychology" there :P :) I get a fair few compliments on the humour of my profile, it's a winner not to take it too seriously alright! Let us know some responses you get :)

Chatting to someone now so I can't put it up yet, damn :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

KTRIC wrote: »

We await your update with gusto ...

So buzy week for me, seems my friday and sat night's are booked up now.. and a mid week jaunt that's not from pof .....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MarkyTheLips

Larianne wrote: »
    Okay, what's the story with this - I got a message today regarding the following (and I've gotten it twice before in the past) - where someone messages me and says "Oh X has left their computer on and is asleep/gone to the shop. Want to have a bit of fun with him?? Here's his number, call him from a private number and tell him X, Y, Z"

Sounds like one of those scam things where it's getting you to call back a premium number :confused: just reply "we met ages ago and he couldn't perform... Tell his friends!!"
    KTRIC wrote: »

Hey that's a start right there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Piliger wrote: »
    This site really does seem to have a very limited number of members..and almost none of them seem to reply to any kind of message.

By in large I have found women on OKC far more likely to respond than on POF. Although that could be to do with that the profiles are generally better written / more informative and therefore easier to send decent messages to. Plus, since there's less people on the site, that should mean less messages clogging up the inbox and a better chance of messages being read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Hey that's a start right there!!!

Knocked that on the head fairly rapid :rolleyes:

Now where was I ??? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Getting on well with said girl. Texting a lot of the evening.

How long to leave it before asking her out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Samich wrote: »

How long have you been messaging ,try suss out if she is busy this weekend,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

"Oh X has left their computer on and is asleep/gone to the shop. Want to have a bit of fun with him?? Here's his number, call him from a private number and tell him X, Y, Z"

Could be a frape (someone left their machine unlocked in work, whilst logged into the site, only for one of the lads to write "I like penises" on his facebook, and/or picked a random good looking girl to ask her to ring/text him, to see him squirm), or it could be to trick you into thinking it's a frape, but it's really just to get you to text/ring him?
    There are no rules. As above, suss out her plans for the weekend, and ask her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,029 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

macjohn wrote: »

She didn't have a pic so no comment there. :)

And I wondered what the phrase meant as well, but didn't want to ask. Kids today and their slang. :P

I showed my profile to a couple of girls I'm friends with and they genuinely laughed at the parts they were meant to(Idea for first date) so that's a positive sign.

I thought the trading of numbers was almost exclusively for organising a meet up...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Here's something i thought i'd share.. I'd write out mails being nice etc and mostly i don't get any replies, get the odd one here and there. I have photo's up and i'm not a bad looking guy :-)

So at this stage i'm getting fed up of POF. I change my tactic. I'm 41 so my target are women mostly in their 40's. I sent this message out to them " Hey there, fancy dinner, drinks and a very nice hotel?" Well my inbox is full, no lie! They are half and half mixed replies. I get " Thanks but no thanks" from the ones that weren't interested whereas the other way i wasn't getting a reply at all from the ones that weren't interested from the nicer email!! They are at least replying!

Also, i am getting more positive replies. One girl praised me for having brass balls to send it out and admired me, she wrote nearly an essay praising me how cool i was! LOL..

It really did get a lot of womens attention and their curiosity about me, i also got the " How dare you " messages. I actually have a date tonight with this method. She's late 40's, good looking and great craic. I also since Wednesday had a chance of 3 more dates and loads of other women writing back and forth....

Very interesting indeed!

I'm not getting any replies at all (and before anyone says, I don't copy and paste), so may be forced into adopting a similar, extreme tactical manouevre.

What have I got to lose?!

Going to Galway for a few days... should I change my POF/OKC locations and see what happens? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

No harm in trying.
    The best fishing grounds in Ireland are on the west coast lol
    Make sure you have the right bait :)

the_syco wrote: »
    Could be a frape (someone left their machine unlocked in work, whilst logged into the site, only for one of the lads to write "I like penises" on his facebook, and/or picked a random good looking girl to ask her to ring/text him, to see him squirm), or it could be to trick you into thinking it's a frape, but it's really just to get you to text/ring him?

Yeah, maybe. I dunno, just seemed a bit strange.

I've said it to a few folks here, you need to stand out, so try a different approach, be random, ask a question about something on her profile, read it, analyst it, and mail her.

I've sent out loads of messages on POF. Never have I simply said "hi" or any of the usual lame one sentence notes.

I always mention something from the girl's profile and try and be my normal witty self. A few lines, not an intense essay or anything - just what you would expect in the circumstances.

My photos don't involve me leaning on a sports car or flexing my muscles either :rolleyes:

It isn't working and, frankly, I'm totally fed up.

*sigh*

I've sent out loads of messages on POF. Never have I simply said "hi" or any of the usual lame one sentence notes.

I always mention something from the girl's profile and try and be my normal witty self. A few lines, not an intense essay or anything - just what you would expect in the circumstances.

My photos don't involve me leaning on a sports car or flexing my muscles either :rolleyes:

It isn't working and, frankly, I'm totally fed up.

*sigh*
    Same as. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Honestly the online dating world is pretty grating on the auld self-esteem, I've had a few dates and the girls had the personalities of planks. They were looks obsessed yet they were nothing special ( they thought they were though! )

I've had more luck being out and about tbh.

Happy hunting folks!

• Advertisement

Yep I have done. I'm very proactive. And yes, sometimes I don't get replies. And yes, I am a woman! :D

Memo for girls on POF - be more proactive like Larianne!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dolly Daydreams

re-join, delete, re-join, hide, delete.. My life has lost all meaning :D

Two dates next week ;) Although one of the guys messaged me first!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,959 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

re-join, delete, re-join, hide, delete.. My life has lost all meaning :D

Join the club, i dont even leave/delete/re-join i just dont log in for a month and see what happens then come back send out a new bunch of mail then rinse and repeat

I'm as proactive as a mofo.. Still find it hard to find people to message.. I have standards and I'm not going to raise them for anyone :D

Two dates next week ;) Although one of the guys messaged me first!

Good luck you and knock 'em dead!

(even if you did wait for one of them to message you first!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I'm as proactive as a mofo.. Still find it hard to find people to message.. I have standards and I'm not going to raise them for anyone :D

So what sort of standards are they ?? Mine are mostly a pulse :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Galvasean wrote: »
    I thought the trading of numbers was almost exclusively for organising a meet up...

Well you see I first sent her a message a week ago and she replied and last night was her first time online since. So I just finished up saying "wanna chat again or swap numbers if you like?" as she could have went another week without logging on.

So what sort of standards are they ?? Mine are mostly a pulse :P

Ah I'm only joking really.. My standards are attracted to the photo, witty banter and the profile not full of ajskgjsk;gljas;lkgjas;gjsag;alsjg

It's a lot to ask of the dating world apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,029 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know there are people who say they've been on PoF for a while now, but surely they should update their profile once in a while. I see some profiles that say "I'm 29 years old" yet the age in the profile says 31. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement