Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

This is mad, I could be chatting on POF to someone on here without even knowing it!

Larianne wrote: »
    What site have you been using before?

I'm on OKCupid at the moment but aren't really getting anywhere. Have had a handful of incoming messages but hardly any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Karsini wrote: »
    I'm on OKCupid at the moment but aren't really getting anywhere. Have had a handful of incoming messages but hardly any replies.

Okcupid can be very quiet. POF on the other hand has lots of members but there are so many messers/timewasters on it. You may end up getting frustrated with it.

I dunno whether people are just looking at what the opposite sex has down on their profile and copied it, but there's a serious lack of effort put into profiles these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Think I might deactivate my account. Been having more luck chatting to the wimmenz randomly on nights out recently then on POF. I think if ya look too hard it wont happen, that's the logic I'm going for anyway. :pac:

TO COPPERS! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MarkyTheLips

Karsini wrote: »
    Sounds a bit, well, casual (for want of a better word).

Like most things in life, it's what YOU make of it :) take the plunge and be prepared to sort wheat from chaff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Ooh, I just got a warning from "Markus" about my photos! Seriously, does anyone actually go to the trouble of reporting photos? Well, ok, clearly they do, given what just happened to me, but wtf? "Click here to report this profile if the main image doesn't show the user's face".

A) My main image does

and

B) The only photo (out of 6) that doesn't is a jokey one where my back is to the camera.

If that's worth a "report" then I really don't know how the myriad dolphin/rainbow/tiger people get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

I have hidden my profile. Have seen one or two guys I'd like to message but if I do can they still see my profile?
    Does anyone know how to attach a picture to a mail using the POF app?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

ladylost wrote: »
    I have hidden my profile. Have seen one or two guys I'd like to message but if I do can they still see my profile?
    Does anyone know how to attach a picture to a mail using the POF app?

Once you message someone they can see your profile. When you hide your profile it means someone can't find you in the search and you won't pop up in the 'online now' section.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Ooh, I just got a warning from "Markus" about my photos! Seriously, does anyone actually go to the trouble of reporting photos? Well, ok, clearly they do, given what just happened to me, but wtf? "Click here to report this profile if the main image doesn't show the user's face".

A) My main image does

and

B) The only photo (out of 6) that doesn't is a jokey one where my back is to the camera.

If that's worth a "report" then I really don't know how the myriad dolphin/rainbow/tiger people get away with it.

Sounds like someone you didn't message back got snotty Honey, I assume nothing happens if you don't change the pic? Hell hath no fury like an OKCer scorned!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,029 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

A) My main image does

and

Maybe you were reported that you looked so good in them that it wasn't fair to other women on the site?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Maybe you were reported that you looked so good in them that it wasn't fair to other women on the site?

oh-stop-it-you-240x180.png

That explains it alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Panthro wrote: »
    I'd read that as a polite "heave-ho" to be honest.
    Reply with "that's grand, and thank you for replying" and leave it at that.
    Don't give them the opportunity to keep you as a back up should the men they are presently talking to goes pear shaped for them.

Absolutely correct.

Never, ever, allow yourself to be someone else's second prize. Especially when it comes to online dating.

Haha you should be reported for that :pac:....

Great date today with a lady that's on my wavelength, the time flew by :)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

****ing hell...

Is there a bigger kick in the balls a guy can receive than being friend-zoned after the first date? :(

Particularly when you get feedback such as 'Intelligent, polite and good-looking'.

Damn, I liked her as well. :(

Oh well , back to rolling the dice and trying to find a match which is what modern dating is like these days anyway.

fat__tony wrote: »
    ****ing hell...

Is there a bigger kick in the balls a guy can receive than being friend-zoned after the first date? :(

Particularly when you get feedback such as 'Intelligent, polite and good-looking'.

Damn, I liked her as well. :(

Oh well , back to rolling the dice and trying to find a match which is what modern dating is like these days anyway.

*manhug*

Samich wrote: »
    *manhug*

Thanks buddy. :)

Its just the time and effort that one puts into arranging dates and bringing women places....

its beginning to feel like a chore to be honest.

I think another break is needed from the dating scene.

Thanks buddy. :)

Its just the time and effort that one puts into arranging dates and bringing women places....

its beginning to feel like a chore to be honest.

I think another break is needed from the dating scene.

Do you go on many dates?

Maybe only go on dates who you think you really click with, raise standards or something? :)

It's all good practice sure :)

Samich wrote: »
    Do you go on many dates?

Maybe only go on dates who you think you really click with, raise standards or something? :)

It's all good practice sure :)

yes a fair few from both the internet and real life also.

the thing is we really clicked via our emails, each one we sent each other was several paragraphs long.

i really liked the girl from yesterday and we got on well and had some laughs but ultimately if she is not attracted or doesnt feel anything towards me, then its irrelevant.

its good practice when you're younger perhaps but it gets pretty frustrating when you're close to 30 and beyond.

oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

yes a fair few from both the internet and real life also.

the thing is we really clicked via our emails, each one we sent each other was several paragraphs long.

i really liked the girl from yesterday and we got on well and had some laughs but ultimately if she is not attracted or doesnt feel anything towards me, then its irrelevant.

its good practice when you're younger perhaps but it gets pretty frustrating when you're close to 30 and beyond.

oh well.

I understand how you feel. I know it's a kick she's not interested but would it not be good to have her as a friend even? I'd be happy if I even made some new friends from it at this point. Obviously I'd still like to meet a significant other but as I get older I find a lot of my friends have moved to a different place in their lives and some new friends in a similar situation to me would be good.

• Advertisement

ladylost wrote: »
    I understand how you feel. I know it's a kick she's not interested but would it not be good to have her as a friend even? I'd be happy if I even made some new friends from it at this point. Obviously I'd still like to meet a significant other but as I get older I find a lot of my friends have moved to a different place in their lives and some new friends in a similar situation to me would be good.

I've left the door open for her to be friends but to be honest I've loads of female friends at this stage and i start to try and wonder what is exactly is wrong with me and my approach?

If someone says that Im good-looking, polite and charming does that not mean they are attracted to me? I'm bemused at the inner workings of the female brain at times.

I want a connection and relationship with someone but it appears pretty distant and that gets me down to be honest.

Im happy with other aspects of my life but I would like to spend time with a significant other to do new things and to enjoy life.

Been single over a long period of time is a lonely existence particularly in a foreign country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

A) My main image does

and

Deff somebody you annoyed H, which is a pity and it was a.. scenic picture if i recall .. out it back up as private sure ..

Deff somebody you annoyed H, which is a pity and it was a.. scenic picture if i recall .. out it back up as private sure ..

Yes, Kinsale is very scenic...

Maybe it was the guy who told me I needed a kick in the mouth. He doesn't seem to take well to being ignored.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Does OKCupid's match rating actually work? Do people get along with people they're 80%+ matched with or is it all a load of crap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

feylya wrote: »
    Does OKCupid's match rating actually work? Do people get along with people they're 80%+ matched with or is it all a load of crap?

I think it does work :)

It may work on a personality level, as in , i could easily be friends with somebody it matches me against, however, it may not match them up with what i'm looking for ...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

When I used OKC, I always made it my point to message my "enemies" and found myself getting on well with them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

I encountered that too, had a date last week with a girl I'd clicked with online and the meeting was just somehow strained. What started with an enthuastic hug and a peck on the cheek ended with being cut short due to her need to get some sleep for work, a quick non-emotive hug and a K Thx bye. Left a message the following day, heard nothing since.

Though at least a bunch of new people are on the site now for me to have a gander through. I'll have to make some effort and get a bunch of new pics for my profile. May PM a few people here and ask for a review of my text too.

cade wrote: »
    I encountered that too, had a date last week with a girl I'd clicked with online and the meeting was just somehow strained. What started with an enthuastic hug and a peck on the cheek ended with being cut short due to her need to get some sleep for work, a quick non-emotive hug and a K Thx bye. Left a message the following day, heard nothing since.

Though at least a bunch of new people are on the site now for me to have a gander through. I'll have to make some effort and get a bunch of new pics for my profile. May PM a few people here and ask for a review of my text too.

So what went wrong on the date, did you learn anything from it ? or are going to use the same topics of conversation on the next date

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Just got asked out for a drink :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement