Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

So what went wrong on the date, did you learn anything from it ? or are going to use the same topics of conversation on the next date

It was more a case that I was rather absent minded and couldn't keep the conversation going or the humor and fun element in it. So what have I learned, don't go on a date when life has been too hectic and you're in need of some time to recharge the batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭miaowsky

Yay a date!! We shall be partaking in some alcoholic bevvies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

fat__tony wrote: »
    I've left the door open for her to be friends but to be honest I've loads of female friends at this stage and i start to try and wonder what is exactly is wrong with me and my approach?

If someone says that Im good-looking, polite and charming does that not mean they are attracted to me? I'm bemused at the inner workings of the female brain at times.

I want a connection and relationship with someone but it appears pretty distant and that gets me down to be honest.

Im happy with other aspects of my life but I would like to spend time with a significant other to do new things and to enjoy life.

Been single over a long period of time is a lonely existence particularly in a foreign country

That's fair enough. I think they think u are a great guy but there isn't an attraction there for them. That's just my guess though. I get where you're coming from. It's a lonely existence!! I could do with some male friends. Don't have that many really. Fingers crossed someone special is around the corner wheather from OD or IRL ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Hi all I've been reading this thread since the beginning and joined pof a couple of weeks ago. Wow! There is some strange people on there!
    I was wondering if anyone could answer a question for me please? I had been chatting to someone for a few days and this morning their profile had disappeared, not on the list of people who viewed me or in the section of contact history but I can still send a message to them. Would hiding a profile cause that or has it been deleted? They didn't reply to me either! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,798 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Hi all I've been reading this thread since the beginning and joined pof a couple of weeks ago. Wow! There is some strange people on there!
    I was wondering if anyone could answer a question for me please? I had been chatting to someone for a few days and this morning their profile had disappeared, not on the list of people who viewed me or in the section of contact history but I can still send a message to them. Would hiding a profile cause that or has it been deleted? They didn't reply to me either! Thanks.
    Howdy, I cant give a definite answer I'm afraid, what I would say is chalk him/her off the list for the time being, ye have messaged so they know where you are if they want to make contact. Iwouldn't dwell on it if I were you. Plenty more fish in the sea and all that.
    That's my two cents anyways:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 gem81

Notjustsweet, Like you I am new member to POF.. Was chatting with nice guy couple of times. Then he just stopped - I have seen him onlin since so I took it he is no longer interested. Since we only mailed a couple of times I was responding to one of his messages so would have been nice if he had just said that he didnt think we clicked or anything at all. .
    If we had not chatted before I wouldnt mind if I was the one who sent the first message & he didnt reply!
    Anyway thats how it seems to go on the site its my 1st time on a dating site so like you takes a bit of getting used too..
    Like Panthro says plenty more fish in the sea (Im still trying to find even 1 for a date :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭themusicman

Having been following this thread for a while I feel obliged to offer my story.

Was on pof.....might well have seen some of you....but am not now having hit the jackpot. I am not the sort of guy who would ever approach women in person but OL gave me a chance to get going...to reach out of my comfort zone.

The stopped conversations were as difficult as they would be in real life...the sense of rejection etc but no one could see me getting the brush off so it didnt really matter.

The lady I have been lucky enough to connect with is great...dates are into double figures...and we are on the same page.

My advice...suss out the possibility of getting from the screen to real life fairly quickly...it's a dating site...go for dates and see what happens.

From the postings here you are all decent people( you only have to look at the shared joy when things are working out to see that, and the sensible advice and encouragement you all give each other). There is someone for everyone we are always told....but it's rare they deliver themselves with a big sticker...we have to scratch the layers and see....and there is fun in that.

Thanks for the days when reading this forum kept me going...keep the faith,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I was chatting to a nice girl on POF for a while. We were getting on great. I decided to ask her out. Then she said I was too old for her. I don't know why she didn't just tell me that at the begining.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I was chatting to a nice girl on POF for a while. We were getting on great. I decided to ask her out. Then she said I was too old for her. I don't know why she didn't just tell me that at the begining.

Boooo, feckin timewasters!

I think they've hidden their profile, if they had deleted it you'd see something in you inbox saying this user has deleted their account (assuming you hadn't deleted msgs)

• Advertisement

Ha! Just logged into pof.....Mount Carmel Hospital advertising maternity packages was the banner ad, give me a chance like! First man, then baby!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Why waste some much time chatting ? What is the point ? Ask a girl out for coffee and check the chemistry because that is all that matters.
    Someone else got in ahead of you ... it happens :rolleyes: It's not her fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Piliger wrote: »
    Why waste some much time chatting ? What is the point ? Ask a girl out for coffee and check the chemistry because that is all that matters.
    Someone else got in ahead of you ... it happens :rolleyes: It's not her fault.

She said I was too old. That's something she would have known at the start. Besides... you can't ask them out too soon. It scares them off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Oh right thanks for the replies, seemed a bit strange to not even be in contact history!
    Not sure if it's for me, people who don't reply after getting a photo or get cranky when I don't want their number after 4 messages! Also the people who ask for a date then disappear if I say yes!
    Fair play to you all for persevering!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I just got a really cool message then i clicked onto the profile to find out it was fella who dresses as a woman !!! I nearly got sick over it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Thanks for the days when reading this forum kept me going...keep the faith,

Awh, what a lovely post!

Finally bit the bullet and deleted my POF account. Feels oddly freeing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Finally bit the bullet and deleted my POF account. Feels oddly freeing.

congrats probably one of the best things you can do an wafull site altogether :rolleyes:...

Im Still on occupied but its a little like my space to be honest i chat to a few girls in england....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

I just got a really cool message then i clicked onto the profile to find out it was fella who dresses as a woman !!! I nearly got sick over it !!!

Just think of the savings of having a combined wardrobe

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Finding OKC to be a whole lot better than POF. Most of my 80+% matches are in the UK but the girls are far more chatty, which is awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

I'm going to take the thread being so quiet tonight as to mean that ye're all off on dates! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Lol. A girl has her profile pic of 4 girls in a line. She says, "I'm in the middle" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Ankhyu wrote: »
    I'm going to take the thread being so quiet tonight as to mean that ye're all off on dates! :D

We can do a round table discussion Monday when everyone gets back.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Ankhyu wrote: »

I'm jealous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

She said I was too old. That's something she would have known at the start. Besides... you can't ask them out too soon. It scares them off!

How much older are you?

I agree she shouldn't have been chatting to you if she thought your age was an issue. Why waste someone time and lead them on!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

So quiet here lately....are people having success or have ye all given up? I'm close to giving up again, gonna hit coppers next week and see i I have success there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Have a lunch date today. Initially got talking to this guy MONTHS ago and between his schedule and mine we more or less agreed that the fates were conspiring to keep us apart, ha ha! Stayed in touch via the odd text, though, and we're going for lunch this afternoon. I actually think I'm more nervous about this than I was about my first ever date, simply because it's been in the offing for so long. Wish me luck!

I just hope we don't bump into a guy I had to kick to the kerb the other day because he was constantly booty-calling me. He lives on Camden St and I'm meeting this other guy in a place on Camden St too (his choice, not mine!). Could be interesting!

Thursday nite drinks was great fun, but he didn't see us as anything more than friends.

And Sat coffee guy, I don't see it going anywhere, so just gotta let him down nicely now.

So back to the drawing board!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Thursday evening nice coffee ... went well and asked to see her again. She agreed and we have exchanged two friendly texts .. but no sign of her agreeing to a time ...

Is that getting too long ? or average ? I sense a lack of enthusiasm but it could just be me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

fat__tony wrote: »
    I've left the door open for her to be friends but to be honest I've loads of female friends at this stage and i start to try and wonder what is exactly is wrong with me and my approach?

If someone says that Im good-looking, polite and charming does that not mean they are attracted to me? I'm bemused at the inner workings of the female brain at times.

I want a connection and relationship with someone but it appears pretty distant and that gets me down to be honest.

Im happy with other aspects of my life but I would like to spend time with a significant other to do new things and to enjoy life.

Been single over a long period of time is a lonely existence particularly in a foreign country

Ain't that the truth.

If it's any consolation you're not the only one.

The trouble sometimes with good-looking people is that we're not well-liked!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement