Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I have just saw a profile with a fella stating he will sleep with anyone fella if he gets drunk enough. What made it even funnier is the fact that the profile was set up as a womans profile . I wouldn't even imagine what you could catch off him :P .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

I have just saw a profile with a fella stating he will sleep with anyone fella if he gets drunk enough. What made it even funnier is the fact that the profile was set up as a womans profile . I wouldn't even imagine what you could catch off him :P .

Could of been set up by his mates for the laugh??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

KTRIC wrote: »
    Just got asked out for a drink :)

Didn't go a good as I'd hoped. Nice girl but we didn't click. Ah well, back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

KTRIC wrote: »
    Didn't go a good as I'd hoped. Nice girl but we didn't click. Ah well, back to the drawing board.

Ah, least you gave it a go! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Meeting a girl from OKC tomorrow night, looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

I finally decided to leave POF.
    After a few dates,and NSA requests from women who are not into NSA....
    You go on a date next thing,she usually initiates the proposal of...
    Date "things are so bad ill have to resort to booty calls"
    Me "come on don't resort to that, your better and sure there's loads of good guys out there"

Me " would you really meet a guy for NSA ?"
    Date "Well if I fancied him and he was a nice guy like you I'd go for it"
    Me "Sorry but I'm not that kinda guy"
    Date "Aw come on ffs iv been reading 50 shades of grey all week,and my attitude to sex is getting more relaxed"
    Me "God your making me feel uncomfortable now lol"
    Date proceeds to slap me on the leg with the back of her hand....

The moral of the story...

It's sometimes uncomfortable for a guy to be in that situation too....

Any way I deleted my profile, iv had enough

It's back to listening to The Cure,Depechemode,The Stoneroses,and one of the most underrated Indie Bands Ned's Atomic Dustbin...

And of course walking the Burrens beautiful landscape alone lmao

It's my Fifty Shades of Grey Limestone.....

Northclare

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Northclare wrote: »
    I finally decided to leave POF.
    After a few dates,and NSA requests from women who are not into NSA....
    You go on a date next thing,she usually initiates the proposal of...
    Date "things are so bad ill have to resort to booty calls"
    Me "come on don't resort to that, your better and sure there's loads of good guys out there"

Me " would you really meet a guy for NSA ?"
    Date "Well if I fancied him and he was a nice guy like you I'd go for it"
    Me "Sorry but I'm not that kinda guy"
    Date "Aw come on ffs iv been reading 50 shades of grey all week,and my attitude to sex is getting more relaxed"
    Me "God your making me feel uncomfortable now lol"
    Date proceeds to slap me on the leg with the back of her hand....

The moral of the story...

It's sometimes uncomfortable for a guy to be in that situation too....

Any way I deleted my profile, iv had enough

It's back to listening to The Cure,Depechemode,The Stoneroses,and one of the most underrated Indie Bands Ned's Atomic Dustbin...

And of course walking the Burrens beautiful landscape alone lmao

It's my Fifty Shades of Grey Limestone.....

Northclare

:)

Sorry you've left us :P

But how come you said the bit I've bolded. I don't think there's anything wrong with people doing stuff (i.e NSA) if they're happy with the situation? :)

Nothing wrong with NSA I just decided to take a Break from online dating.
    I'll pop in now and again iv made a good mailing friend on this page.

I just find NSA lacks substance.
    I'm a guy yeah but NSA is ok for a while.
    One person nearly always gets emotionally attached,and the other then does a runner.
    Basically what could have been a good friendship is gone.
    When your single and nearly 40 it's good to have a broad circle of friends but a walk through the garden of spices and many delights can complicate things.

I love women,they make great friends as well as lovers.

Nothing wrong with NSA I just decided to take a Break from online dating.
    I'll pop in now and again iv made a good mailing friend on this page.

I just find NSA lacks substance.
    I'm a guy yeah but NSA is ok for a while.
    One person nearly always gets emotionally attached,and the other then does a runner.
    Basically what could have been a good friendship is gone.
    When your single and nearly 40 it's good to have a broad circle of friends but a walk through the garden of spices and many delights can complicate things.

I love women,they make great friends as well as lovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Date 2 tomorrow, 2 weeks later cause we've been busy. He's driving to see me this time. Can't wait :)

• Advertisement

ONE MORE "Hiya Sexy" message and I'm going to start flaming. :mad:

You don't know me, how can you call me "sexy"? Do woman LIKE this? Is that that easy to get into their knickers? A sweet word and they fall all over you?

Ok, to be fair, I'm not sure this guy is the full shilling, but he's far from the first one :mad:

/rant!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dolly Daydreams

ONE MORE "Hiya Sexy" message and I'm going to start flaming. :mad:

You don't know me, how can you call me "sexy"? Do woman LIKE this? Is that that easy to get into their knickers? A sweet word and they fall all over you?

Ok, to be fair, I'm not sure this guy is the full shilling, but he's far from the first one :mad:

/rant!

I got one of those 3 times in a row. Obviously forgetting who he's mailing the whole time.. Please excuse me while I swoon :rolleyes:

I got one of those 3 times in a row. Obviously forgetting who he's mailing the whole time.. Please excuse me while I swoon :rolleyes:

I wrote back "Sexy?" which I'm thinking most men with a brain in their head would take as indication to back up a little, but I got this gem in reply:
    "ya ur sexy wha u ah for dee nite"

I think I've found my soulmate :rolleyes:

To be fair I think I'll let him down gently, he doesn't sound cut out for this field at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

What's with this "flirt" button that women have on their POF accounts (guys don't have a "flirty" button"?!? I've had to put up a note on my POF profile saying I won't reply to the mails that get generated by using this button, I don't really understand why people in their mid 30's can't just send a mail saying hi if that's what they want to do...

What's with this "flirt" button that women have on their POF accounts (guys don't have a "flirty" button"?!? I've had to put up a note on my POF profile saying I won't reply to the mails that get generated by using this button, I don't really understand why people in their mid 30's can't just send a mail saying hi if that's what they want to do...

Because girls have to be chased or something?! :rolleyes:

I did click on it once to see what it was about. :o Don't worry though, I usually send out mails. :)

Larianne wrote: »
    Because girls have to be chased or something?! :rolleyes:

I did click on it once to see what it was about. :o Don't worry though, I usually send out mails. :)

Just making the point that it's annoying to be getting mails from the flirt button being clicked, (in my opinion), it's a lazy way of approaching the whole thing, no moreso than at the age that I'm at (35), I imagine folks who are in their 30's (male and female), would prefer to get a mail that was a little more expansive than "So and so has clicked a button to show an interest in you" or something along those lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

I don't really understand why people in their mid 30's can't just send a mail saying hi if that's what they want to do...

That in itself is another problem, users simply sending 'Hi' messages is rather annoying. Your message content, format, spelling and grammar are, besides your picture, likely the first thing that you'll be judged upon; yet many users stick with the least possible effort. I can understand why they do it though; too many hours of wasted effort typing mails filled with content related to the receipients profile only to never get a response or the belief that a photo can carry them. I'm sure it works for some, though I have never replied to any mail that showed such lack of caring.
    "So and so has clicked a button to show an interest in you"

I hadn't even noticed that POF had introduced a OKCupid akin ''Wink' button. Typical, they choose the least useful feature from OkCupid to copy. I really hope they get around to installing the option of hiding peoples profiles from your searches, it's annoying having to browse through the same profiles that I've previously dismissed.

Just making the point that it's annoying to be getting mails from the flirt button being clicked, (in my opinion), it's a lazy way of approaching the whole thing, no moreso than at the age that I'm at (35), I imagine folks who are in their 30's (male and female), would prefer to get a mail that was a little more expansive than "So and so has clicked a button to show an interest in you" or something along those lines?

Oh I understand your frustration. As Cade has pointed out, its pretty much the same as the "Hi", "Hey, how are you?" mails you get.

Oh I understand your frustration. As Cade has pointed out, its pretty much the same as the "Hi", "Hey, how are you?" mails you get.

I'm not frustrated about it really, I just think it's a pity that there are not more genuine users on the site who will (A) reply to mails and (B) will make more of a general effort communicating with people on the site, especially with regard to why they claim to be on the site in the first place. And no, my profile isn't boring, I'm an attractive & intelligent, (but not big headed, arrogant or cocky) guy in his mid-thirties who has plenty of interests, accomplishments, etc.

I genuinely am coming to the conclusion that the vast majority of users of the site simply cannot handle actual introductions or interactions in relation to dating, outside of the pub/club/drinking scene, or maybe more specifically, without the social lubricant of alcohol being available to carry things along.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 gem81

What is with some men on POF!! Was chatting with what seemed to be a lovely guy getting on great etc. Exchange numbers & nothing since. I have texted him to but didnt hear anything back now Im thinking maybe it was a fake number he gave me :( Kick to the confidence. . . Its really confused me as he was very complimentary & really lovely to chat too!!

• Advertisement

Yep, I'd agree with you there HellFireClub. I think some genuinely have no idea how to start a conversation with people. I think that's in a general sense, even in a pub setting. It a bit ridiculous seeing as the information needed to start the conversation is right there in the profile. It's made easy for them!

I also believe there are a lot of people on it just for the laugh and who have no intention of meeting up.

It kinda weeds out the people I wouldn't be interested in though. Can't hold a conversation? online even? Nah, not for me.

gem81 wrote: »
    What is with some men on POF!! Was chatting with what seemed to be a lovely guy getting on great etc. Exchange numbers & nothing since. I have texted him to but didnt hear anything back now Im thinking maybe it was a fake number he gave me :( Kick to the confidence. . . Its really confused me as he was very complimentary & really lovely to chat too!!

It seems there's an awful lot of married/committed men on the site, I'd imagine if he only shared his pic with you privately, this could (possibly) be what you've run into there...

Yep, I'd agree with you there HellFireClub. I think some genuinely have no idea how to start a conversation with people. I think that's in a general sense, even in a pub setting. It a bit ridiculous seeing as the information needed to start the conversation is right there in the profile. It's made easy for them!

I also believe there are a lot of people on it just for the laugh and who have no intention of meeting up.

It kinda weeds out the people I wouldn't be interested in though. Can't hold a conversation? online even? Nah, not for me.

That's exactly it, I think you are right there, that many people are just on it to basically have a nose and have no intention whatsoever of meeting up with people or pursuing a date at all. One thing I've noticed on it is how regularly I read profiles where the author of the profile would be my own age or older and when you look at how long their longest relationship lasted, its, "under 1 year". I personally find that a bit strange, but having said that, I accept that life's journeys can cause people who have a load of short term relationships as opposed to my own life experience which was a very small number of really long term relationships, horses for courses I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

It seems there's an awful lot of married/committed men on the site, I'd imagine if he only shared his pic with you privately, this could (possibly) be what you've run into there...

I've a feeling this is the case also, it's frustrating for the women, but also for the single guy's who are making an attempt to get date's.

Gem, best to chalk it up, i've been in that position before several times, and it can be annoying, but for every messer there's that one honest person who you'll eventually met, and will change your life.

Thanks Hellfire - No his pics are public but your probably right. . I heard of another man on POF the other day he is in a relationship with 2 kids. He is using a friends picture & different name. .
    Reading your messages above kind of seems like a waste of time when people are only on it to be nosey etc!!
    Where are all the good men :)

Thanks Hardonraging!! Seems to keep happening to me. .
    Not sure I have thick enough skin to remain on POF :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Just a point to add, OD is no different to meeting people in the pub, sure you can weed out some of them you're not interested in, but over all, you need to keep searching until you find someone.

Maybe take a break from it Gem, grab you're breath, hang out with friends, anything to take you're mind off it. if you fancy going back after a week, so be it ..

Thanks Hellfire - No his pics are public but your probably right. . I heard of another man on POF the other day he is in a relationship with 2 kids. He is using a friends picture & different name. .
    Reading your messages above kind of seems like a waste of time when people are only on it to be nosey etc!!
    Where are all the good men :)

I think the POF thing you have to be in it really for the long haul and maybe extreme patience will win the day if you are prepared to put up with all the messing that may or may not result in a bit of luck coming your way some day (I think I've been on this site 3 times previously, over the last few years and each time I deleted my profile). I don't bother mailing folks on it anymore, because very few reply and the one's that do, don't seem to be even to hold even an online conversation, let alone a face to face one. I'm just leaving my profile there and if someone nice messages me with something more than "hi", I'll definitely reply and see if something could come of it.

It is a bit weird seeing people check out your profile, then you view their profile, you end up thinking, "this person is exactly the type I go for" and then you don't bother mailing them because you just know they will not bother replying. I only reply to people who mail me now, no point in sending out mails because there are too many time wasters on the site, who I half suspect are just on it for the ego-massage they get when they login and see a page full of messages sitting there waiting for them.

It is a bit weird seeing people check out your profile, then you view their profile, you end up thinking, "this person is exactly the type I go for" and then you don't bother mailing them because you just know they will not bother replying. I only reply to people who mail me now, no point in sending out mails because there are too many time wasters on the site, who I half suspect are just on it for the ego-massage they get when they login and see a page full of messages sitting there waiting for them.

How do you know? How do you know they ain't thinking the exact same thing?!

You definitely need patience and an outlook of 'sure see what happens' for online dating.

• Advertisement

Just a point to add, OD is no different to meeting people in the pub, sure you can weed out some of them you're not interested in, but over all, you need to keep searching until you find someone.

Maybe take a break from it Gem, grab you're breath, hang out with friends, anything to take you're mind off it. if you fancy going back after a week, so be it ..

I have no problem meeting people in pubs & clubs, but lately with work I'm not getting the time to get out as often with work being so busy, (which is now eating into my weekends more and more), so I said I'd stick my toe back into the online pond again, which yet again, I'm having no luck at all with...

Where online dating really should have an obvious advantage over the old conventional dating game, (pubs, clubs, etc), that that when it comes to online, you know (or I think you can assume!), that the person is actually single and is actively looking for the same thing that you are looking for, whereas in a pub or club, normally it's a more fair assumption to say that if the person is in their 30's, that they are not actually single at all... This is where you'd think things would be more straightforward, as opposed to what they seem to be on POF which is complicated and messy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement