Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Does anybody have any success stories with online dating? All these stories of creeps and time wasters is really turning me off.

Twice a few years ago. One nearly went all the way (NOT in that way .. haha)

Q

How does OKC's chat manifest itself ? I don't see where you start the chat or receive it ... unless it is just for paid up members ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Piliger wrote: »
    Q

How does OKC's chat manifest itself ? I don't see where you start the chat or receive it ... unless it is just for paid up members ?

Right bottom corner or something? You have to type the users name in I think? Could be wrong.

Samich wrote: »
    Right bottom corner or something? You have to type the users name in I think? Could be wrong.

I see that popup thing on the bottom right, for turning it off ..... but nothing else... :rolleyes:

When someone is online a speech bubble appears beside their username in their profile. You can click on it to start an IM session. If you add the person to your favourites, then you can initiate a chat from the Online Favourites on the left of the homepage.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    When someone is online a speech bubble appears beside their username in their profile. You can click on it to start an IM session. If you add the person to your favourites, then you can initiate a chat from the Online Favourites on the left of the homepage.

Ah ok ... though I have trawled through dozens of profiles and haven't spotted a bubble yet ....... will keep an eye though. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Had a bit of a date today. Managed to get my obligatory, "You're a nice guy BUT" text within an hour of the meet up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Galvasean wrote: »
    Had a bit of a date today. Managed to get my obligatory, "You're a nice guy BUT" text within an hour of the meet up.

Oh no. Had you sent her a text first?

mood wrote: »
    Oh no. Had you sent her a text first?

I had indeed. It was a strange one. I got the feeling she wasn't interested in meeting up again but I sent her a text saying, "It was nice meeting you" anyhow (just in case I was misreading her as we did have a nice chat and seemed to get along). She replied with, "You too :)" which made me think maybe she was interested so I suggested meeting up again at some point. Then came the P45.

Moral of the story. Galvasean cannot read women at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

I had indeed. It was a strange one. I got the feeling she wasn't interested in meeting up again but I sent her a text saying, "It was nice meeting you" anyhow (just in case I was misreading her as we did have a nice chat and seemed to get along). She replied with, "You too :)" which made me think maybe she was interested so I suggested meeting up again at some point. Then came the P45.

Moral of the story. Galvasean cannot read women at all..

Thats why my comment card idea is perfect for all first dates and an exit interview for all breakups...maybe im taking this two far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

So nobody has any positive stories from last night's date ? .. come on ladies... surely some of you must have something to say ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

So nobody has any positive stories from last night's date ? .. come on ladies... surely some of you must have something to say ..

Maybe the dates were really positive and they are still busy?

You're lucky to get it over with. I met a very sexy girl Thursday before last. We both agreed to meet again after the date. I texted her next day and she confirmed happily. That Saturday morning she texted me from her pyjamas and coffee. Then nothing. Doesn't even have the courtesy to let me know - and I have seen her online on POF since, several times.

Some people have no common courtesy.

Piliger wrote: »
    You're lucky to get it over with.

You are indeed very correct sir.

A fair point, altho i'm sure the ladies wont kiss and tell if this is the case..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I feel your pain chief and I suspect most of us have been there.

She'd probably have been a loony-tune anyway!

Forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

A fair point, altho i'm sure the ladies wont kiss and tell if this is the case..

Do tell hardonraging... How was your date lastnight with 'amazing girl'??

Sarah** wrote: »
    Do tell hardonraging... How was your date lastnight with 'amazing girl'??

It was amazing... altho it seems we've a long road to walk, before we can run.. which is ok with me.

We've set up a date two for 2 weeks out, and it sounds fun, i'll need to dust off my suit, and shoes for that one i think ...

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Can anyone recommend a better alternative to POF?

I have had a lot of success on match.com, went on two dates last week and have one lined up tomorrow and the following friday as well. (all different people of course)

Some nice ladies on it (based on where I am which is Toronto btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

It was amazing... altho it seems we've a long road to walk, before we can run.. which is ok with me.

We've set up a date two for 2 weeks out, and it sounds fun, i'll need to dust off my suit, and shoes for that one i think ...

Is that a metaphor? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think online dating can work - there are plenty of success stories, but the thing is, even though there will be plenty of nice normal people who just haven't been able to meet someone in the real world, you will also get plenty of people who may have their own issues going on, and there may be reasons why they are single and on an online dating site....

So it's worth bearing in mind that you really don't know what someone is like, and defo don't let yourself get frustrated - best to keep an open mind but not take it too seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭dub5

Hey Guys

Hope the world of online dating is still going well for you. I am off POF about a month now and don't miss it at all, quite liberating actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

I think this is one of the issues with online dating. It can work very well, but you don't have the first contact in real life, so it means you are literally working off of some (possibly wayyy too flattering!) photos and a few emails back and forth, devoid of body language and all the potential spark and chemistry physically being around the person brings. So, when you do meet up, it can be such a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Just deleted my POF account, I've been on the site before and it was always a bit flaky but by Jesus it's worse now than it's ever been I think.

I genuinely do not understand how so many women can put up profile's that shíte on incessantly about them being "genuine", "looking for a relationship" and "sick of the pub/club" scene, who are "trying something new", "looking to meet someone considerate, honest and genuine", yet the vast vast majority of the same said users refuse to reply to mails from exactly the type of people that they claim to be trying to connect with on POF.

And I know, the obvious response to all of the above, in relation to those now reading this, can only be, "well you are probably unattractive", or "your profile is causing a problem", or "you're just not their type", well I genuinely don't think I'm unattractive at all, and my profile came across, in my opinion, as funny, intelligent, conversational, interesting and substantive, (like myself). It seems to me that in terms of single Irish women today, this website is the special reserve of the flakiest and most stuck up prima donna's that are to be found in Ireland.

Anyway, lesson seriously learnt and DEFINITELY won't be going back, an absolutely horrible experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Just deleted my POF account, I've been on the site before and it was always a bit flaky but by Jesus it's worse now than it's ever been I think.

I genuinely do not understand how so many women can put up profile's that shíte on incessantly about them being "genuine", "looking for a relationship" and "sick of the pub/club" scene, who are "trying something new", "looking to meet someone considerate, honest and genuine", yet the vast vast majority of the same said users refuse to reply to mails from exactly the type of people that they claim to be trying to connect with on POF.

And I know, the obvious response to all of the above, in relation to those now reading this, can only be, "well you are probably unattractive", or "your profile is causing a problem", or "you're just not their type", well I genuinely don't think I'm unattractive at all, and my profile came across, in my opinion, as funny, intelligent, conversational, interesting and substantive, (like myself). It seems to me that in terms of single Irish women today, this website is the special reserve of the flakiest and most stuck up prima donna's that are to be found in Ireland.

Anyway, lesson seriously learnt and DEFINITELY won't be going back, an absolutely horrible experience.

This is probably the problem - your average POF'er is likely none of these things, and so you won't be of any interest to them ;)

Give one of the paid sites a bash maybe mate, don't know why everyone on here seems to just use POF or OKC!

Chet Zar wrote: »
    This is probably the problem - your average POF'er is likely none of these things, and so you won't be of any interest to them ;)

Give one of the paid sites a bash maybe mate, don't know why everyone on here seems to just use POF or OKC!

I don't understand the point you're trying to make there... If I'm looking at profiles that are all saying, nearly without exception, that they are NOT out for one night stands, are seriously putting in some effort to find someone decent, genuine, interesting and basically worthwhile on the website, yet they refuse to reply to mails from users of the site who consider that they can tick these boxes, are you telling me that female users of the site are not actually looking for what they claim on their profiles to be looking for?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I also deleted my account! I was on it a few months but i did meet really nice guys on it and im really good friends with one of them in particular still!

The last guy did shake me a little and it just turned me off it for the moment, for the better i think! He was my only bad experience from it to be honest! Other than that i did have a good experience with it! But in saying that its not for everyone and i think one does need a thick skin and not to take things to heart if someone doesn't want to go on a date!

I had a good run on it but i need a long long break from it :)

I was really hoping I'd have better luck with it (it worked for me in the past although I always thought it was a bit flaky), as work is eating into more of my weekends these days & I'm actively putting an effort into meeting someone decent and starting a relationship, but don't have the time for pubs & clubs at the moment, but sure anyways, that hasn't panned out to be the case sadly...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Ha, I don't have any of those words/phrases on my profile. When I see someone has written 'genuine' in their profile it makes me a little wary. Why would someone have to state they are genuine or nice? Isn't that what most people like to think themselves to be? Profiles shouting about being genuine are often more likely to be not genuine or the person has their own issues to deal with. "I'm geniune!! Look at ME!! ARrrgghh!" :cool:

When reading profiles I sometime think they are no different to job applications. Same adjectives in every profile. Instead of hard working, diligent, team player, uses own initiative you have honest, genuine, kind, family and family are important to me.. Makes me go Zzzzzzz.

Also, you say 'in your opinion' your profile comes across X, Y, Z. That's your opinion. You know you. Your profile could read totally different to a stranger.

There is a whole lot of idiots and time wasters on the site. But it isn't any different than out in the real world to be honest.

• Advertisement

Larianne wrote: »
    Ha, I don't have any of those words/phrases on my profile. When I see someone has written 'genuine' in their profile it makes me a little wary. Why would someone have to state they are genuine or nice? Isn't that what most people like to think themselves to be? Profiles shouting about being genuine are often more likely to be not genuine or the person has their own issues to deal with. "I'm geniune!! Look at ME!! ARrrgghh!" :cool:

Also, you say 'in your opinion' your profile comes across X, Y, Z. That's your opinion. You know you. Your profile could read totally different to a stranger.

There is a whole lot of idiots and time wasters on the site. But it isn't any different than out in the real world to be honest.

I don't think people are genuinely that flaky in the real world, it's no surprise I think that a lot of the profiles I've seen are women in their early-mid 30's who have been (1) on the site for at least the last 2-3 years and (2) don't seem to have been able to stay in a relationship for more than 1 year. I don't think it's a huge assumption to make that many of these women are just not relationship material.

Then you have the large "married but separated/divorced" contingency that seem to be only using the site to parade themselves around a bit and remind themselves that they can still pull a guy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement