Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Samich wrote: »
    Well 1. I couldn't have an interest in her, she had no pic or detail entered.

2. Mailed in the small chance she could have been chatty etc in mail.

3. There's no one else to mail.

Well why bother in the first place then. Im sure there are plenty of people to mail. Are you saying there is only one person to mail??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

andreac wrote: »
    Well why bother in the first place then. Im sure there are plenty of people to mail. Are you saying there is only one person to mail??

Basically yeah, she was new at the time I mailed her. I'm waiting on something so I can delete the profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Basically yeah, she was new at the time I mailed her. I'm waiting on something so I can delete the profile.

There is only one person on POF to mail, sorry but i dont believe that. There are hundreds, prob thousands of people to mail on POF.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Colours

Samich are you on POF? If so I PM you my profile so you can message me too (I have a pic)! That way we can pretend that we have a few potential OD options open to us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So I received a very enthusiastic message from someone earlier today. She obviously has an interest based on my own profile. The only thing is she had no pic attached, but her profile seemed really interesting and the message was great so I replied. I didn't actually ask for a pic but she sent one with her next message. I nearly fell off my chair. She's gorgeous. I'm waiting for Jeremy Beadle to pop his head round the corner with a camara and mic!

:D

In all seriousness, if she is real/not blind, I'd have to be a complete idiot to not even muster a half decent date out of this situation, wouldn't I?

Maybe she sounds like Janice from Friends? We'll know when you announce you're going to Yemen. :pac:
    Hope she works out for you

So when Pics are set to private, how do you get to see them? Like is it automatic when they send you a message or do they have to give you some kind of access?

Now for some reason, I'm thinking of a zombie Jeremy Beadle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Hmm....I put my photo on private a while back and in the last week I got 7 profile views and 1 new message.
    Changed it to public this afternoon and profile views are over 30 and got 20 new messages- in 2 hours!
    Seems I have to agree pof is extremely based on looks, though my profile was well written, funny and interesting (allegedly) no one was interested without a picture...and I'm only average looking so god knows how the gorgeous people get on!

andreac wrote: »
    There is only one person on POF to mail, sorry but i dont believe that. There are hundreds, prob thousands of people to mail on POF.

Well I'm not mailing people who I can't meet (in another county) and I've mailed the other ones I'm interested in and nothing. So yes, I have no more option left.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dolly Daydreams

Hmm....I put my photo on private a while back and in the last week I got 7 profile views and 1 new message.
    Changed it to public this afternoon and profile views are over 30 and got 20 new messages- in 2 hours!
    Seems I have to agree pof is extremely based on looks, though my profile was well written, funny and interesting (allegedly) no one was interested without a picture...and I'm only average looking so god knows how the gorgeous people get on!

Ah we get loads (kidding :-D)

Deleted mine AGAIN. although date set up for Thursday. Believe it when it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

I could well believe that there are slim pickings on POF, after I set up my criteria

- aged between 23 and 28
    - live within 35 miles of Dundalk
    - Female

And then I will only mail the ones that I like the look of firstly, then if they don't use text speak or go on and on about themselves for pages, I will drop them a line.

When all the above have been taken care of, there ain't too many ladies to mail. I'm at a dead end situation myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Well if you are a woman, you wouldn't have a reason to be negative about OD because if you are even half in shape and in any way not unattractive and don't have a caustic profile up, you will have an inbox that will be filling up with mails from guys on the site.

It's a completely different experience for guys using the site, unless you look like George Clooney or Brad Pitt, you are wasting your time with it, because you can send out as many mails as you want, you are in essence, being ranked pretty much exclusively in terms of your looks, against everyone else sitting beside you in that inbox.

Don't agree with that at all. I have a reasonable profile, don't consider myself to be Shrek like and yet my inbox is not inundated at all and 90% of the messages I initiate get no reply.

• Advertisement

ladylost wrote: »
    Don't agree with that at all. I have a reasonable profile, don't consider myself to be Shrek like and yet my inbox is not inundated at all and 90% of the messages I initiate get no reply.

Are your pics on public?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

On the grounds of basic common sense.

When did you last hear of two people giving each other the eye across a pub during the night, one approaches the other, only to be told, "hang on now a second, I'm interested in you if you are 30, but if you're 31, I'm simply not interested, sorry, because I'll only date or talk to men who are my age or younger, and that means strictly 30 years of age or less!"...???

Or when did you last hear a girl replying to being chatted up, by saying: "Well this clearly can't go anywhere because I'm 5'7" without heels & I'm 5'10" in my heels and sure you being only 5'9", this conversation isn't even getting started here"?!?!?

Many many times ... it happens every night of the week in all kinds of venues across town. The difference is they don't say it out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Larianne wrote: »
    I would say because there is a lot more members on the site now (compared with last year when I tried it first). There's less and less interesting profiles to read and more of the same shít. It's like they've all copied and paste from the same profile.

I would agree with this. In a way OD has become something of a victim of it's own success. Where in days gone by it was something of a niche thing and seemed to attract a higher percentage of people genuinely using it for it's intended purpose, nowadays all sorts use it, many of whom are just there 'for the craic' and have little or no real interest in doing it propely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Why are you posting on a thread then, thats about online dating if you find it a waste of time.

Because...

(1) I have a profile on a paid site, as I paid for it already and am using it until the subscription expires. I also think it doesn't have anywhere near the number of timewasters as there are on free sites like POF.

(2) Having recently tried OD, and found it a waste of time in respect of POF, and having tried it before & had plenty of success with it, and still having a profile on a paid site, I actually happen to have views on the subject that I feel like expressing on this thread, I like to read the views of others and I wish to explore my own opinions on the subject. If that's a problem for yourself or anyone else on thread, please use the report button as per the forum charter.

In the meantime, please respect my right to have an opinion on the current subject matter, regardless of how it may or may not agree with your views on the subject.

Are your pics on public?

I alternate between the two. Find it makes little difference really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

So do ye think those sites are ineffective? in comparison to old style meet and greets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Maybe she sounds like Janice from Friends? We'll know when you announce you're going to Yemen. :pac:
    Hope she works out for you

So when Pics are set to private, how do you get to see them? Like is it automatic when they send you a message or do they have to give you some kind of access?

Now for some reason, I'm thinking of a zombie Jeremy Beadle

Well, she isn't from Ireland so maybe she does, but I can honestly say she is much nicer looking than Janice from friends! Lets just put it this way, I'm prepared to invest in ear plugs!

You can set criteria in your mail settings that they have to have pics. If they have their pics on private, when they email you, pics are attached.

(1) I have a profile on a paid site, as I paid for it already and am using it until the subscription expires. I also think it doesn't have anywhere near the number of timewasters as there are on free sites like POF.

Can I please ask what the paid site is? Might try giving it a go myself.

Am I in a dangerous situation that as a 25 year old man, I feel the only chance of meeting someone is online?

Can I please ask what the paid site is? Might try giving it a go myself.

Am I in a dangerous situation that as a 25 year old man, I feel the only chance of meeting someone is online?

match.com, do whatever works for you! As a 25 year old, the last thing I'd have tried 10 years ago was OD, (if I was single at the time but sure that's another story!)...

Yeah I might leave it and just head out more. Have no problem chatting to people when out but just that initial approach I need some courage (and im a pioneer so alcohol is not an option)

Organised heading out this Sunday with a single mate of mine so i have my wingman sorted, so here's hoping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

match.com, do whatever works for you! As a 25 year old, the last thing I'd have tried 10 years ago was OD, (if I was single at the time but sure that's another story!)...

Why?
    Yeah I might leave it and just head out more. Have no problem chatting to people when out but just that initial approach I need some courage (and im a pioneer so alcohol is not an option)

Organised heading out this Sunday with a single mate of mine so i have my wingman sorted, so here's hoping!

It's not an either or situation dude. Online dating is just a tool, another way to meet people. And an extremely effective way of meeting a lot of people, more than you could even hope to meet over the course of a bunch of nights out. These people are the same people you will meet when out with your wingman, when at an event, when at a party in someone's house, wherever. It's not an either-or situation! Try all the options!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Have a third date tomorrow with a guy I quite like, woke up this morning with a MASSIVE coldsore :mad: God, why must you test me so??? *shakes fists at sky*

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Have a third date tomorrow with a guy I quite like, woke up this morning with a MASSIVE coldsore :mad: God, why must you test me so??? *shakes fists at sky*

If he likes you it won't matter.

Try compeed patches. They are quite good. Good luck with the date. If you're really self conscious about it make maybe make a joke about it at the start to relax u

riveratom wrote: »
    Why?

Because at 25 there are loads of single people out there, not at 35, so you have to be a bit more resourceful I think if you want to meet someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

If he likes you it won't matter.

I know he likes me, it just means we can't have a snog. Annoying!

Listen, when I dish out moral support, I expect at least feigned acceptance of this moral support. There's only so much of it to go around!

So I received a very enthusiastic message from someone earlier today. She obviously has an interest based on my own profile. The only thing is she had no pic attached, but her profile seemed really interesting and the message was great so I replied. I didn't actually ask for a pic but she sent one with her next message. I nearly fell off my chair. She's gorgeous. I'm waiting for Jeremy Beadle to pop his head round the corner with a camara and mic!

In all seriousness, if she is real/not blind, I'd have to be a complete idiot to not even muster a half decent date out of this situation, wouldn't I?

So I asked and she said she definitely wants to meet up. She's not feeling well and so she has asked if I can wait a few days until she feels better. This is ideal as it gives me time to pick out a nice ring. I don't want her to think I'm being too forward though so I'll wait until at least the second date before I ask her to marry me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Tell him it's not a manky coldsore, it's just a gross spot. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Just out of curiosity, what kind of age range are most people going for? And I mean in relation to their own age.
    I'm generally looking at 5 years older and 5 years younger.

Also, does anyone reccomend a paid site over POF and OKC? Will I get more results? Both in terms of numbers and replies?
    If so, which paid sites are good? I don't want to waste money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement