Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

kiddums wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of age range are most people going for? And I mean in relation to their own age.
    I'm generally looking at 5 years older and 5 years younger.

Also, does anyone reccomend a paid site over POF and OKC? Will I get more results? Both in terms of numbers and replies?
    If so, which paid sites are good? I don't want to waste money.

I usually stick in 28 - 38. Im 32. I think any less than 28 is too young, especially as I have kids also.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Send girl mail. :cool:

Girl views profile. :)

New mail appears. :D

POF night out invite. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Just out of curiosity, what kind of age range are most people going for? And I mean in relation to their own age.
    I'm generally looking at 5 years older and 5 years younger.

It really depends on your age ...

Girl 25: Men 24 - 31
    Man 25: Girls 21 - 27

but it's different as you get older

Girl 35: Men 33 - 45
    Man 35: Girls from 30 - 38

It's dumb to set too rigid an age, especially as you get older. People are so incredibly different.
    Also, does anyone reccomend a paid site over POF and OKC? Will I get more results? Both in terms of numbers and replies?
    If so, which paid sites are good? I don't want to waste money.

POF is a paid site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Piliger wrote: »
    POF is a paid site.

Only if you choose to upgrade your membership. I'd say easily 99% of the people I've come across on it aren't paying; the free functionality is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Unhidededed my profile after like 3 days. I'm weak. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

It really depends on your age ...

POF is a paid site.

No, its free. Its free to use nearly everything. The things you have to pay to use arent worth paying for imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

So I asked and she said she definitely wants to meet up. She's not feeling well and so she has asked if I can wait a few days until she feels better. This is ideal as it gives me time to pick out a nice ring. I don't want her to think I'm being too forward though so I'll wait until at least the second date before I ask her to marry me.

:D

Marry me, I think I love you! Mind you, I pulled a similar line on a first date with a guy once. Went down like a lead balloon, the humourless idiot:rolleyes: One of those rare occasions where there is an immediate mutual red-carding!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

I'm a man of 25 and my age restriction is 23 - 28......anything older than 28 and we would more than likely be at much different stages in life. I guess I could set the lower age a bit lower but my brother is 22 and don't want to be dating women younger than those he would be chatting up!

Semele wrote: »
    Marry me, I think I love you! Mind you, I pulled a similar line on a first date with a guy once. Went down like a lead balloon, the humourless idiot:rolleyes: One of those rare occasions where there is an immediate mutual red-carding!

I like this kind of approach. Always got to try and find the humour in things!

GrumPy wrote: »
    Unhidededed my profile after like 3 days. I'm weak. :pac:

Ditto. I would have lasted longer where it not for pesky phone apps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I'm a man of 25 and my age restriction is 23 - 28......anything older than 28 and we would more than likely be at much different stages in life. I guess I could set the lower age a bit lower but my brother is 22 and don't want to be dating women younger than those he would be chatting up!

I would say 20 to 30 should be what your looking for , even 18 or 19 if they are mature for there age .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

andreac wrote: »
    No, its free. Its free to use nearly everything. The things you have to pay to use arent worth paying for imo.

They are all free to some extent ! :D POF's paid extras are worth as much as any other imho.

:D POF's paid extras are worth as much as any other imho.

Tell us more.... What do you get when you pay and how do you find it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Anyone got any dates this weekend? :)

I'm still seeing the boyfriend that I met online, so still haven't gone back to POF or OKC. Hope you're all faring well too!

Also, when I was on POF, my age is 23, my range was 22-30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

I've been on two date's with the same gorgeous girl now, in between both date's i took a risk and joked about eloping with her, she suggested a small village in spain being ideal.. personally i nearly shat my self, talk about perfect .. :)

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Anyone got any dates this weekend? :)

I'm still seeing the boyfriend that I met online, so still haven't gone back to POF or OKC. Hope you're all faring well too!

Also, when I was on POF, my age is 23, my range was 22-30.

I'd say i'll see my current crush this weekend, so i'm counting down the days, things are still going well, we get along like a house on fire that was built with C4 in the brickwork..

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I know he likes me, it just means we can't have a snog. Annoying!

You actually can have a snog if u use the compeed patches. They are clear. The whole purpose is that you don't transfer the cold sore. My ex used these and it didn't transfer even though I am very susceptible to cold sores! Of course the guy has to be willing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JennyBurke101

Hey at least you can see cold sores...you can only find out they had mono the hard way....

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Colours

Gosh that's a good point. Must add that to my criteria settings....

Must be a man.
    Must be between 38 and 55.
    Must NOT have mono.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Have had two dates with the boy from Monday now - and seeing him again tomorrow. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

It'll be almost 2 weeks by the time I get to go on date 4 with he who lives far away, cause we're both a bit busy. But I can't wait :D

• Advertisement

ladylost wrote: »
    You actually can have a snog if u use the compeed patches. They are clear. The whole purpose is that you don't transfer the cold sore. My ex used these and it didn't transfer even though I am very susceptible to cold sores! Of course the guy has to be willing though.

Unfortunately they tend to make you look as if you have bubonic plague on your lip rather than just a coldsore :mad: Nah, I'll just have to try and rein in the raging hormones for one night, eh?

In other news, I still haven't unhidden my POF profile since the holiday. To be honest, I'm rather enjoying the peace & quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Logged into OKC this morning, no new messages or views.:(
    Over to POF then, no new views 1 new message:), open it, its the same one I got on Monday that had somehow counted as unread.:(

Thats no new views or replies since Monday.
    My profiles are visable and I have pictures.:confused:

Anyone got any better news?
    Dates for the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Ankhyu wrote: »
    It'll be almost 2 weeks by the time I get to go on date 4 with he who lives far away, cause we're both a bit busy. But I can't wait :D

That sux !! remember the advice i gave you ages ago about the distance !!

Anyone got any better news?
    Dates for the weekend?

Have a date tonight, we're going to a comedy gig. All going well (it's our third date), I may invite him to meet the friends on Saturday night - dan dan daaaannn! Only messing, it'll be very casual, I'll be out with a gang of mates on Saturday night anyway, so will just tell him to feel free to join us if he's in town himself.

Have a date tonight, we're going to a comedy gig. All going well (it's our third date), I may invite him to meet the friends on Saturday night - dan dan daaaannn! Only messing, it'll be very casual, I'll be out with a gang of mates on Saturday night anyway, so will just tell him to feel free to join us if he's in town himself.

Ye big falling in love liar you.

Ye big falling in love liar you.

Ah jaysis, love doesn't come into it, are you mad?! Sure my marriage only broke up last year, I don't think I'll be falling in love with anyone for a long time!

Ah jaysis, love doesn't come into it, are you mad?! Sure my marriage only broke up last year, I don't think I'll be falling in love with anyone for a long time!

I was only joking!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Had my first internet date in months last night... I hid my profile ages ago as I got into a head-wreck situation with a guy in work and only reopened it last week to take my mind off the residual crap. Met this guy last night and it was, totally unexpectedly, the most amazing date ever! :D:D

There was such a massive spark and I felt like I'd known him forever. He feels the same too, which is amazing. And there was me turning into a right cynical old moan after a year of mediocre dating! Am floating around on a cloud this morning. I'm moving quite far away in a month, but he doesn't care:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Nice one Honey-ec. Hope it goes well for you.
    Had my first internet date in months last night... I hid my profile ages ago as I got into a head-wreck situation with a guy in work and only reopened it last week to take my mind off the residual crap. Met this guy last night and it was, totally unexpectedly, the most amazing date ever! :D:D

There was such a massive spark and I felt like I'd known him forever. He feels the same too, which is amazing. And there was me turning into a right cynical old moan after a year of mediocre dating! Am floating around on a cloud this morning. I'm moving quite far away in a month, but he doesn't care:D
    This gives me some hope for OD.
    Just out of curiosity, how far is quite far?
    100 miles? Different country?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Hmm. Bit of advice needed for a friend.

My friend is interested in trying out online dating. Except, he only wants 'intimate encounters' or ONS or FBs or whatever term you want to use.

He wants to know the etiquette involved in this, and which sites are best to use? I suggested POF but I know very little about trying to just hook up online, since I only used it for dating. Any tips/advice welcome.

Also, I'm doing the boyfriend/girlfriend thing with the guy I met online for a month today and things are going very well. Except he won't let me pay for any dates, which annoys me. Oh well! Very happy though.

I wouldn't have gone for it without this thread, because I was too shy, but reading and talking to the people here helped me get over that shyness and I'm so glad I did. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement