Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Distance will be about 250 miles. So, not un-doable but just inconveniently that bit too far to not be an issue. It takes 4.5hrs to drive or a return train ticket is £80+!

It may not be a popular opinion, but where I think this one was such a success whereas others were a bit of a disappointment was that this time I went for someone I fancied and thought was hot, rather than being all that bothered whether we had anything much in common! I always went for the guys I seemed to have a lot in common with before and ended up on loads of dates with people who would have made great friends, but there usually wasn't much of a spark. This time, because I'm leaving soon, I just treated it as a casual bit of fun and went for someone who I thought was attractive and good for a night out...and yet we got on amazingly!

If you think about it, you don't fancy people in real life because of all the things you have in common! It's not necessarily a looks thing, but there's got to be that attraction there first I think and then it's the shared interests, values etc that will be the icing on the cake and determine whether a relationship lasts...but I don't think they're a good starting point anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    My friend is interested in trying out online dating. Except, he only wants 'intimate encounters' or ONS or FBs or whatever term you want to use.

He wants to know the etiquette involved in this, and which sites are best to use? I suggested POF but I know very little about trying to just hook up online, since I only used it for dating. Any tips/advice welcome.

Don't POF have a site specifically for this? That might be worth a try, rather than him adding to the frustration genuine people are having with the amount of hook-up artists on POF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Don't POF have a site specifically for this? That might be worth a try, rather than him adding to the frustration genuine people are having with the amount of hook-up artists on POF.

I haven't a clue, I know nothing about trying to hook up. :pac: I mean, he's said out straight he's going to be upfront about what he's looking for, and won't message women looking for dating or a relationship but I have no idea what advice to give him because it's not something I've ever done or ever plan to do.

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I haven't a clue, I know nothing about trying to hook up. :pac: I mean, he's said out straight he's going to be upfront about what he's looking for, and won't message women looking for dating or a relationship but I have no idea what advice to give him because it's not something I've ever done or ever plan to do.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've seen a "Sex Personals Click Here" bit on POF. Always makes me wonder why all the NSA-ers don't just use it instead of the main site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Dont think so. You just put Intimate Encounter in the section that asks what you are looking for. As long as he is honest about it then he shouldn't have a problem. Lots of women on there only interested in IE as well as men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've seen a "Sex Personals Click Here" bit on POF. Always makes me wonder why all the NSA-ers don't just use it instead of the main site.

It's for a pay to play site ... as i affectionately call them..

It's for a pay to play site ... as i affectionately call them..

Ah, ok then. Explains why POF is so inundated with hook-up artists, so. They're cheap as well as horny!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Have a date tonight, we're going to a comedy gig.

I'll see you there (from the stage).
    You two or SO getting picked on by the MC! :cool:

Ah, ok then. Explains why POF is so inundated with hook-up artists, so. They're cheap as well as horny!

That one cut deep :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

I think I asked something along these lines before, but I just want to be clear.

How long should I leave it before I ask why she didn't reply to my last message?
    Last message was Monday night. She probably won't be on over the weekend so do I ask tonight or leave it till the start of next week?
    I don't want to be pestering her, but I want to know whats up with ignoring me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

I have a date in tonight. I'm nervous at the moment but hopefully it goes well.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I went back on POF today for the purposes of proving a point on here, and so far have only proven myself wrong, inbox more active than it's ever been?!?

Maybe it's that my attitude to it is a bit more positive... :eek:

kiddums wrote: »
    I think I asked something along these lines before, but I just want to be clear.

How long should I leave it before I ask why she didn't reply to my last message?

I wouldn't bother, tbh. If she didn't reply to your last message, what makes you think she'll reply to another one? If she's been genuinely busy, she'll reply to your last one whenever she gets a chance. If she's done a fade, then no amount of follow-up messages are going to make any difference, apart from possibly making you feel worse.

Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I went back on POF today for the purposes of proving a point on here, and so far have only proven myself wrong, inbox more active than it's ever been?!?

That's the spirit!
    I wouldn't bother, tbh. If she didn't reply to your last message, what makes you think she'll reply to another one? If she's been genuinely busy, she'll reply to your last one whenever she gets a chance. If she's done a fade, then no amount of follow-up messages are going to make any difference, apart from possibly making you feel worse.

Sorry.

I'm sad to say Honey-ec is 100% correct here unfortunately.

Sorry.

Galvasean wrote: »

I'm sad to say Honey-ec is 100% correct here unfortunately.

We're all sad to say she's right here ;);) but yes, move on chief, she may come back and say hi again .. who knows .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Busy week on the OD. Relatively speaking.

Poorly written message from someone with a PhD, what? AND, a nice arse is not a good conversation starter. Unless by "conversation" you mean... nvm.

Second conversation like draining blood from a stone.

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Colours

18AD wrote: »
    AND, a nice arse is not a good conversation starter.

Just out of interest 18D, do you happen to have a pic of your arse up on your OD profile? Otherwise I can't see how the guy would be in a position to be able to make such a comment, however poorly expressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm looking for a good online dating website, I'm on POF at the minute, but I'm wondering if there are any more? What d you guys use?
    I'm really just looking for a casual/intimate encounter - no time for a proper relationship at the minute!lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

hardonraging, off topic chat deleted. you know the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Busy week on the OD. Relatively speaking.

Poorly written message from someone with a PhD, what? AND, a nice arse is not a good conversation starter. Unless by "conversation" you mean... nvm.

Second conversation like draining blood from a stone.

*sigh*

Ah i wouldn't worry too much about that because the majority of men will send you a message like that which you will just simply delete :)

When a conversation is like that it can mean three things .
    1. They are shy
    2. They are boring
    3. They are just looking for an ego boost

So its all down to you to find out which of the three things they are .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I finally met someone on POF. I'm delighted. It only took me a year and a half. Never give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I finally met someone on POF. I'm delighted. It only took me a year and a half. Never give up.

Nice one , I have to say its good to hear a few success stories about OD .

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

This will come across in your messages also. Patience is the key, I think. :pac:

Wow. Go you!! Patience is definitely the key! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

When a conversation is like that it can mean three things .
    1. They are shy
    2. They are boring
    3. They are just looking for an ego boost

So its all down to you to find out which of the three things they are .

Probably 2. Just sayin'.
    Colours wrote: »
    Just out of interest 18D, do you happen to have a pic of your arse up on your OD profile? Otherwise I can't see how the guy would be in a position to be able to make such a comment, however poorly expressed.

I'm a guy. And while I think my arse is a great conversation starter I don't have a pic up. :pac:

The message + pic was from said girl out of the blue.

Probably 2. Just sayin'.

I'm a guy. And while I think my arse is a great conversation starter I don't have a pic up. :pac:

The message + pic was from said girl out of the blue.

Apols 18D for thinking you were a lady. Another possibility is that the PhD lady who commented on your arse might have been:

4. Píssed

Fair play to you Davey! Any pointers on what got through you those long cold arid 1.5 years when there seemed to be nothing shaping up on the OD landscape?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

My date went well tonight and so far i think things are going good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Is zoosk.com a scam?
    I read that no-one can reply to your messages without paying.
    Is that the way it works?
    If so I'm going to leave it.
    Has anyone here used it and know?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Woohoo. Took me 6 years and all still going well! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Is zoosk.com a scam?
    I read that no-one can reply to your messages without paying.
    Is that the way it works?
    If so I'm going to leave it.
    Has anyone here used it and know?

There are a few sites like that, where you have to pay to send mails, or read mails or send personal info. I dont see the point in them when there are free ones, Smooch, POF, OKC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement