Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have a Vacuum press for veneering??

Options
  • 21-05-2012 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi There,

Just wondering if anyone might have a vacuum press for doing veneering, or know a place in dublin that may sell them? I've even looked at building my own, but don't want to get into that unless I have to. I'd like it to be electrically powered with a vacuum sensor.
    Cheers;)

Rich

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

richiek67 wrote: »
    Hi There,

Just wondering if anyone might have a vacuum press for doing veneering, or know a place in dublin that may sell them? I've even looked at building my own, but don't want to get into that unless I have to. I'd like it to be electrically powered with a vacuum sensor.
    Cheers;)

Rich

I'm wondering that aldi have vacuum bags in this week that you use a Hoover to suck the air out how effective they would be for what your going to be doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Seriously, what drugs are you on....?? You are taking the piss...:confused:

http://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Excel-1-Continuous-Run-Vacuum-Press-System.html

I was taking about something like this in the link above...fyi

Seriously, what drugs are you on....?? You are taking the piss...:confused:

Jesus relax! I was only asking the question about them bags that you use a Hoover to suck the out with. No crime there.

Iv never had the need to use a vacum press for veneering. I have always gotten good results using contact adhesive

http://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Excel-1-Continuous-Run-Vacuum-Press-System.html

I was taking about something like this in the link above...fyi

I know what your looking for. I only asked how effective that low tech system would work.

• Advertisement

I don't think you should comment on things you haven't got a clue on...

If you knew anything about Veneering you'd know that a Vacuum press is essential...
    Its rather like having an engine in a car, if you want the car to move ...

Suggesting a 'vacuum cleaner and bags' is a bit insulting...Its a bit like saying to a cabinet maker, 'would a nail and hammer do?. Well, it might if your a carpenter...lol Get my drift...

If you knew anything about Veneering you'd know that a Vacuum press is essential...

Suggesting a 'vacuum cleaner and bags' is a bit insulting...Its a bit like saying to a cabinet maker, 'would a nail and hammer do?. Well, it might if your a carpenter...lol Get my drift...

Why is a vacuum press so essential? And for your information I have done plenty of veneering of panels over the years for shop fitting and required nothing more than contact adhesive to do apply it on. Never needed to use a vacuum press for veneering!

I didn't suggest using them I asked if they would work in the same way.

Your very sensitive today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Wood veneering has been around a bit longer than the vacuum press?

Wood veneering has been around a bit longer than the vacuum press?

I remember using animal glue in school to do veneering and that is around a lot longer than veneer presses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

:cool: There are a number of veneer press companies in the UK of which 'Bagpress' is the best known. Search www.axminster.co.uk for lots of information.
    You are however into about £700 sterling for a basic setup.They certainly give great results and offer 2x4' or 4 x8' foot bags.Bigger units are available for a pro shop.
    I have one for years and while I would haul it out for big jobs its a little unweildly and you need space to use it.
    I would avoid contact cement - you never quite get a dead flat look - some slight ripples often appear under a strong light.
    For small one off jobs I'd go with 'glue film' You can buy it off *bay. Its a sheet glue which is placed under the veneer and then ironed on with a hot iron.Works well on flat/convex surfaces but not too good on concave curves -its hard to get an iron into the curve.
    PM me if you have any queries.

cheers.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

Yeah, sorry I was in a bit of a fouler yesterday Galwaydude, Sorry. :(. Thanks for the info.:)

Yeah, i'm sure it can be done on flat surfaces in some way with out them but I have curved surfaces more so than flat. Think I will leave it for the moment as its not urgent, just a future project.

Thanks for that.

Yeah, sorry I was in a bit of a fouler yesterday Galwaydude, Sorry. :(. Thanks for the info.:)

Yeah, i'm sure it can be done on flat surfaces in some way with out them but I have curved surfaces more so than flat. Think I will leave it for the moment as its not urgent, just a future project.

No hard feelings :-) I always used contact adhesive. When the tacky feel has gone on both surfaces put spacers of timber (20mm wide will do) on your substrate then put your veneer on the spaces line it up and start at one edge and use a rag to push both surfaces together removing the spacers as you go along. When you reach ye end use a roller and work from the middle out to get rid of any air bubbles.

I have always used this method in shopfitting and never had a problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

I have the vacuum press with a large bag can't remember where I got it. Its handy for doing up laminated stuff and bending ply to akward shapes withouth making two sides of a former

O, is it electric powered pump or what, is it large and are you looking to get rid??

Cheers

Rich

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭dathi

hi all i will throw my hat into the ring on this one , i have used aldi vac bags to veneer burr elm veneer onto ply, i tried it as i could not justify the cost of vac pump,used it with pva glue and surprise surprise it works really well ,you have to go back and check the bag every half hour or so and give it suck with the hover but i can live with that for a system that costs less than a tenner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

O, is it electric powered pump or what, is it large and are you looking to get rid??

Cheers

Rich

Yeah electric. Big bag about 6' x 4' from memory never measured it. Not looking to get rid but if u wanted to see it in action or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

I'm wondering that aldi have vacuum bags in this week that you use a Hoover to suck the air out how effective they would be for what your going to be doing?

They'd be perfect for veneering small items like chess boards and small panels. They work pretty much on the same principles. I know they'd be hopeless for large curved work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) Lee Valley ( www.leevalley.com ) sells a small vacuum bag that works with a hand pump to extract the air.
    Don't know how good it is but I saw Norm Abraham ( remember him ) on the box using one. Worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 VACFORM

check out vacform composites web page www.vacformcomposites.co.uk for the best presses available . At a fraction of the price of Bagpress and Airpress .:)

saw this and thought of this thread

• Advertisement
Advertisement