Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to abolish communions and confirmations?

• 21-05-2012 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Seriously - what's the point? The child neither knows nor cares about the religious significance of the event. About 70% of them are children of parents who don't go to mass (figure pulled out of my ass). And tell me, why does a 12 year old need 1 thousand euro (what a relative recently made).

Get rid of it and let it be the start of the religious cull.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

fascist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

why does a 12 year old need 1 thousand euro

sweets and shit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

And before anyone accuses me of being jealous...of course I'm fcuking jealous! But it's still an expensive sham

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

The €1000 is for the therapy that will be required in the future due to a catholic upbringing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

1 thousand euro (what a relative recently made).

Did anybody actually get 1000 euro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yay! Religious freedom for all! Miniature....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Another five minutes must have gone by, there's another religion-bashing thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

i say banish the catholics to another part of the world and they can all live a guilty life with every drop of water they drink.... return to the mother land...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭andy1249

Seriously - what's the point? The child neither knows nor cares about the religious significance of the event. About 70% of them are children of parents who don't go to mass (figure pulled out of my ass). And tell me, why does a 12 year old need 1 thousand euro (what a relative recently made).

Yet another rant using religion as a root cause !

Religion is an artificial social construct , its social rites being a big part of it.
    Take away the religion and you still have a human need for social coming of age markers and get togethers , whether they be based on religion or not.

So , all that would happen would be a substitution of communion or confirmation with some other marker , something like primary , secondary education markers or simply being old enough to be some kind of socially responsible.

Your right though , no child needs 1000 euro , but isnt it supposed to be a gift ? Is the amount of your gift to be based on what others gave ? Is a child not entitled to a gift ?
    If the child "needed" 1000 euro one would assume circumstances were dire indeed !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Not particularly religious myself, but how could you abolish them?

Last I looked people had the freedom to practice their religion here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Catholics should be free to have whatever ceremonies they want as part of their religion. However these ceremonies and the indoctrination that surrounds them should be held outside school time and any state funded school should be prevented from taking a partisan religious role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Don't care much for them myself, but they should be removed from the schools. They have no business being part of the classroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Report them to the Revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

What 12 year old DOESN'T want a €1000?

That's like, a zillion jelly beans and packs of crisps!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

It takes a truly dumb person to suggest something like this. Banning religious practices has never gone well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Duggy747 wrote: »
    What 12 year old DOESN'T want a €1000?

That's like, a zillion jelly beans and packs of crisps!!

more like an iphone and a new playstation 3 these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

more like an iphone and a new playstation 3 these days

Yea, the little shìts.

Though I probably would've bought a fùckton of SNES games back in the day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I'd be happy enough if it could just be seperated from education, if Catholic parents want to pretend that their 8 year olds have the faintest understanding of transubstantiation or the doctrine of vicarious redemption then fire ahead, just do it on the weekend and let the children get back to proper education during school hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Op makes absolutely no sense.
    Is it the practice of making the communions/confirmations that bothers you, or the materiel aspect of receiving monetary presents?
    If it is the former, then I don't really understand - unless you wish to abolish catholisism as a whole, which would also mean that you would then have to abolish all religions.
    Those practices are part and parcel with catholisism, so they cannot be abolished without abolishing catholisism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

out of your backside.......at last, somebody with a head for figures......

you will go places....well done..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

don't worry it will be gone in 50 years or so.

Catholic church running out of priests in ireland

Catholic Church running out of priests in USA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Banning things never works.:rolleyes:

I'm afraid there's nothing we can do other than not-pray to the flying spaghetti monster that all people will one day cop on to the absurdity of religion and start leading their lives in the real world.;);)

http://www.yoism.org/images/noodly3.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

And tell me, why does a 12 year old need 1 thousand euro (what a relative recently made).

Did she declare that money to Michael Noonan?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

"Cash for Communions" seems to be a particularly Irish phenomenon. I assume its down to parental guilt, or maybe there was a just a really smart kid a while back who got the whole ridiculous ball rolling. I'm preparing an alternate communion bribe fund for my two so they won't feel pressured into taking communion just to get the cash. Their mother thinks I'm being a twat about it. Guilty as charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

dpe wrote: »
    "Cash for Communions" seems to be a particularly Irish phenomenon..

You've haven't seen enough mob films my friend

It's all about the cash, the Italians line up and put in a special bag for weddings and special occasions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

The church carries out the ceremony of communion and confirmation.

Its the people who know the child who gives them the money.

Is your beef with the ceremony itself or the tradition of giving the child a large sum of money? That really has nothing to do with the religious aspect at all, rather just people who want to give a child a gift. Nobody in the church has ever said that was necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You've haven't seen enough mob films my friend

It's all about the cash, the Italians line up and put in a special bag for weddings and special occasions

Catholic kids in the UK don't get payouts. Or Spain apparently (just asked a guy in the office).

Weddings is a whole different issue; loads of cultures give cash to the happy couple (prefer that idea to shlepping around a store arguing about toasters personally); that's not a particularly catholic thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Time to abolish religion?

Good luck with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Nephew of mine made just over €1000 for his communion on Saturday, I think it's a bit to much. In fairness to the priest and church, no big limos or hummers or anything of the sort were allowed on the church grounds before or after the cermony.

The school also had a little party for the kids and tea and cake (I like cake) for us grown ups after. Bit of craic in fairness

• Advertisement

OP will be attacked by mobs of skint kids with baseball bats and no new leather-jackets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I live near a church and it's absolute bedlam come communion/confirmation time with all the good Christians double parked blocking the roads for hours on end. What would Jesus do? Would Jesus double park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Tym wrote: »
    Did anybody actually get 1000 euro?

My nephew received €1100 at his confirmation.
    Got himself a 32" LCD screen, a fückload of PS3 games and paid for a trip to go see an Arsenal match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It's not so much the genuinely religious people putting their kids through communion and confirmation (although that's for another debate it's the people who put their kids through it whilst being non practising catholics the rest of the time.

The examiner had a great article on communion there the other day:LINKY
    grindle wrote: »
    My nephew received €1100 at his confirmation.
    Got himself a 32" LCD screen, a fückload of PS3 games and paid for a trip to go see an Arsenal match.

Jebus... that's just not right on any level.... Whilst the amount of money children get these days appalls me it should be put in a bank account for college. I'd be freaking appalled if I gave money to a nephew or niece and learned later they'd spent it on **** like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

dpe wrote: »
    "Cash for Communions" seems to be a particularly Irish phenomenon..

Not really. I reckon €1000 would be about what most Polish children would get too. Considering salaries in Poland are much lower it is sheer madness. Often this is a mixture of gifts(Laptops, i-pads, playstations etc) and cold hard cash. My mother-in-law recently gave her god-daughter 1000zl (€250)for her communion. Her monthly take home pay as a midwife is 1500zl. The same girl got a laptop from her parents and an envelope from lots of other relatives.

Fúckin bonkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

ejmaztec wrote: »
    OP will be attacked by mobs of skint kids with baseball bats and no new leather-jackets.

Nah..just militant catholics by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Wattle wrote: »
    I live near a church and it's absolute bedlam come communion/confirmation time with all the good Christians double parked blocking the roads for hours on end. What would Jesus do? Would Jesus double park?

He would magic an extra parking space, and then walk over all the cars.
    Or he would do a moses on it and whoosh them all out of his way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

...miniature flags for everybody else?

When did the quaint custom of giving kids a big wad of cash get introduced, and whose bright idea was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

We can't abolish them.

Because we wouldn't be able to insult tight people with the "I bet you still have your communion money and all!"

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

sheesh, next you'll be saying get rid of Santa and the Easter bunny - were you never young? or is it just cause you had your go, you don't want anyone else to have theirs.

think of the kids will ya. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I have always wondered about 1st Communions at seven years of age! I mean how can a seven year old know what its all about? and what's with the monetary gifts? expensive dresses/suits/makeup/limos, etc etc, almost like some kinda mafiosa inauguration of a child into "the family".

Scrap the 1st communions at seven I say, and let them be confirmed at age fourteen of fifteen years of age, when they are more mature and might know a little bit more about the Religious event and what it signifies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I'm not religious and I am sick of having to give kids money for communions and confirmations. Best way to reduce the numbers? The CC should only allow families who have attended mass weekly since the child's baptism to attend these ceremonies - guaranteed to be small affairs then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Anyone wrote: »
    Report them to the Revenue.
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    Did she declare that money to Michael Noonan?

For what?

Maybe a trip to revenue.ie is in order.
    For you two!

abolish them no, but certainly take them out of school hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

The good aul days renouncing santa and all his pagan ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

LordSutch wrote: »
    scrap the 1st communions at seven I say, and let them be confirmed at age fourteen of fifteen years of age, when they are more mature and might know a little bit more about the Religious event and what it signifies.

14 or 15? I say it should be moved to 33,I could really use a couple of hundred euro right now.

It isn't just a Catholic thing though, coming of age ceremonies always involve gifts of some description. Bar/Bat Mitzvah's for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

If you were an altar boy, you got to make your communion, confirmation and consummation. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

sheesh, next you'll be saying get rid of Santa and the Easter bunny - were you never young? or is it just cause you had your go, you don't want anyone else to have theirs.

think of the kids will ya. ;)

Kids are eventually told/realise that santa and the easter bunny aren't real.
    Catholics are supposed to believe in god for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

another religion thread? not only did jesus weep at this stage, but moses was in floods!

for people that claim to be so clever as not to believe in sky fairies and what not, its fairly telling that some of ye cant even find the religion forum for all these threads!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

about time too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement