Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

Every character has one or two bu***hit string you have to learn unfortunately. The trick is to immediately go into practice mode after seeing one and learning to deal with it. Once you do you can kill them for using it haha! That's the precise moment Tekken goes beyond fun and into ball bus-tingly fun mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Game is too hard to learn, getting hit by so many strings D:
    Tekken suffers from too-many-characters-and-moves syndrome, and unfortunately its fanbase is too preoccupied with shouting down any attempts at streamlining & cutting down with variations on "lol scrubs gtfo" for it to ever change.

And that's one of the reasons I've given up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Tekken suffers from too-many-characters-and-moves syndrome, and unfortunately its fanbase is too preoccupied with shouting down any attempts at streamlining & cutting down with variations on "lol scrubs gtfo" for it to ever change.

And that's one of the reasons I've given up on it.

On the flip side, you remove characters and punish the current player base (who are more important) who actually took the effort to learn the game in order to possibly gain new players

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Why is Violet so much higher then Lee on that Tier list when he's the biggest clone out of all the clones ?. There are only 4 moves that differentiate them, 29, 38, 35 and 66 on their move list. Lee has the better 29, but Violets version has its uses, and his 66 is better the Lee's by a mile. The others have their pro's and cons for each character, maybe someone who knows the game and the character better can explain.

• Advertisement

don't forget the A and A- are not in order, for all you know they could be right next to eachother.

Look the most interesting thing about this tier list is the S A+ and B tiers. Everyone else in the middle is give and take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

don't forget the A and A- are not in order, for all you know they could be right next to eachother.

Look the most interesting thing about this tier list is the S A+ and B tiers. Everyone else in the middle is give and take.

Do you think Asuka is really that low? She's at least a solid mid to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

I don't agree with that tier list at all but if it is true it sucks to be you Fergus, Asuka & Miharu are bottom tier.
    Low tier heroes FTW :)

Story of my life D:

GorySnake wrote: »
    On the flip side, you remove characters and punish the current player base (who are more important) who actually took the effort to learn the game in order to possibly gain new players
    Gaining new players should ALWAYS be your objective for a game, because otherwise you'll always be dealing with a diminishing, aging fanbase.

Street Fighter III took the bold move of removing everyone except Ryu & Ken by integrating aspects of other characters into one (e.g. Necro = Blanka + Dhalsim) or just changing them up (e.g. Sean has moves similar to Dan).
    And we ended up with an absolute blinder of a game, something whose visuals wowed the pants off anyone who saw it in the arcade (death of arcades not-withstanding). In fact, it could be argued that no other 2D fighter (other than Darkstalkers) has come close to matching it visually since.

Even Tekken 3 removed/killed some of its Tekken 1-2 cast, so Jin became a mix of Kazuya + Jun -- and its Metacritic rating is 96% (the highest of the franchise, and 2nd-highest for PS1 overall).

My point being, all these legacy characters to me show a distinct lack of confidence in the franchise's overall design & future.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Street Fighter III took the bold move of removing everyone except Ryu & Ken by integrating aspects of other characters into one (e.g. Necro = Blanka + Dhalsim) or just changing them up (e.g. Sean has moves similar to Dan).
    And we ended up with an absolute blinder of a game, something whose visuals wowed the pants off anyone who saw it in the arcade (death of arcades not-withstanding). In fact, it could be argued that no other 2D fighter (other than Darkstalkers) has come close to matching it visually since.

Two things:

A. What has the graphics of SFIII go to do with this argument at all?

B. SFIII failed competitively for years after it's release, regardless of what the reason for that is, your argument here is made even weaker. Not that it started strong, seriously why were the visuals brought up?

Do you think Asuka is really that low? She's at least a solid mid to me.

Well she has very safe moves that do a lot of damage. But they are hard to use well, often involving many mind games. On paper I think she's very solid. Safe mid launchers, safe low crushing launchers, amazing tracking moves, good oki from throws, good BDC, great punishing. She doesn't have a scary wall game, or amazing throws, her NC mid combos are ****e and her mixups are garbage, I think that's her main weakness, hence why I learned Lei.

But in theory you don't use too many mind game mixups in high level play, so she is very solid in that way, you can abuse her safe launchers and chip away with some decent pokes. So provided you can break all grabs, defend against all slow lows and "poxy" mixups, then she has the advantage overall I believe against most characters.

So at the highest level I'd say she's mid-high tier. But before you reach that level you will struggle a lot against matchups. She doesn't have a move like Bryan's b1, uf4, Nina's f3, or Law's DSS mixups which you can use to beat 90% of the people you will meet online. I'd say HelpMe values the things that she lacks. Almost everyone says that she's better than Jun anyway. But I think he got the S and A tiers spot on!

But I'm sorry man, Miharu is defo low tier I think, the AOP nerfs were too much...

Yeah I definitely noticed a lack of NC strings with her and doesn't really have great stuff to play frame traps with and maybe a lack of strong lows hurts her as well, but yeah her launchers and whiff punishers are pretty gdlk, she just seemed like a strong character to me over all, and there's also the fear factor of eating counter or b+3.

Idk about Miharu, I've been waiting too long for her to come in the series again just to drop her, I'll still use her.

Oh yeah if you can get into your opponents head then Miharu is extremely good! She has IMO one of the best mind games in Tekken along with Lei, Zafina and Creddy. They are a pleasure to watch and play.

I don't let tiers decide either, sure I used T6 Asuka! :)

GorySnake wrote: »
    Two things:

A. What has the graphics of SFIII go to do with this argument at all?

B. SFIII failed competitively for years after it's release, regardless of what the reason for that is, your argument here is made even weaker. Not that it started strong, seriously why were the visuals brought up?
    A. The graphics of SFIII matter because they started from scratch (with vision) and didn't have to worry about updating their old characters' moves for a new visual direction. They had the power to start afresh, and they seized it.
    B. SFIII failed for many reasons, including the rise of home consoles, death of the arcade scene, and the retarded public perception that SF Alpha wasn't a "true" sequel to SFII :rolleyes: making SFIII "too late to market". Oh, and the first game (New Generation) was kinda broken, too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Isn't the whole point of TTTT that it's Tekkens version of the KoF dream match games?

They're SUPPOSED to have every single character in them, if possible. Might make them less approachable for someone who's new but that's what the main line games are for. No?

Oh yeah if you can get into your opponents head then Miharu is extremely good! She has IMO one of the best mind games in Tekken along with Lei, Zafina and Creddy. They are a pleasure to watch and play.

I don't let tiers decide either, sure I used T6 Asuka! :)

Oh she's certainly a mind****ing character alright, very sastifying getting your opponent to respect you for her mixups.

Isn't the whole point of TTTT that it's Tekkens version of the KoF dream match games?

They're SUPPOSED to have every single character in them, if possible. Might make them less approachable for someone who's new but that's what the main line games are for. No?
    True, I do forget that about Tag.

Still makes it unlikely for me to learn it though.

Additional notes from Help Me

Characters on boundary

Lars(A+ or A)
    Lei(A or A+)
    Paul(A or A+)
    Feng(A or A+)
    Ganryu(A or A+)
    Slim Bob(A or A+)
    Violet(A or A+)
    Asuka(B or A-)
    Ancient Ogre(B or A-)

Tag Assault combo(sub) Rank
    S - Violet, Hwoarang, Lee, Nina, Leo

A - Unknown, Alex/Roger, P Jack, Capoeira, M. Law, Ancient Ogre, Jinpachi, Ogre, Heihachi, Anna, Yoshimitsu, Bryan,
    Devil Jin, Miguel, Alisa, Steve, Kuma/Panda

B - Slim Bob, Sebastian, Miharu, F. Law, Michelle, Angel, Kunimitsu, Jun, Jaycee, Kazuya, Asuka, Lili, Xiaoyu, Lei,
    Paul, Marduk, King, Armor King, Ganryu, Jack-6, Wang, Baek, Raven, Dragunov, Bob, Lars, Bruce, Jin

C - Feng, Zafina

Trash - Dr.B

Tag Assault Wall combo(sub) Rank
    S - Violet, P Jack, Heihachi, Jin, Lee, Steve, Nina, Jack-6, Kuma/Panda, Zafina, Bruce

A - Slim Bob, Sebastian, Capoeira, F. Law, Michelle, Jaycee, Kazuya, Lili, Feng, Lei, Paul, M. Law, Anna, Yoshimitsu,
    Bryan, Wang, Baek, Dragunov, Devil Jin, Leo, Miguel, Bob, Alisa

B - Unknown, Alex/Roger, Angel, Kunimitsu, Jinpachi, Jun, Hwoarang, Marduk, Ganryu, Raven, Lars

C - Miharu, Ancient Ogre, Ogre, Asuka, Xiaoyu, King, Armor King

Trash - Dr.B

There's no way Lars is a B tier for wall TA. 1+2~b f+4,1,2,1 does huge damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

So my randomly put together team based on character design of Slim Bob/Leo could be top tier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

What's the main difference between Jun and Unknown? I know they have one or two different moves but I didn't think it was enough to put them in different tiers

Unknown has a GDLK 1+2 and PILLARS.

Trying to get Asuka's CH 4 dash 1+4, so good but so hard.

And Miharu's ff1 after Asuka's f+4, db4,3~5 and her tech traps.

Oh man, I got my guys promoted to fighter yesterday and now I'm experiencing the worst players I've found so far and a lot of rage quitting. So hard to rank up anymore... :p

T6 all over again....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Oh man, I got my guys promoted to fighter yesterday and now I'm experiencing the worst players I've found so far and a lot of rage quitting. So hard to rank up anymore... :p

T6 all over again....

I told you that's what happens when you get to the high green ranks! It's unbearable!

I'm currently at Maurader for both Asuka and Miharu, although it's probably easier to rank up on XBL.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

I just don't play online at all. A mixture of bad internet, rage quitters and scrubs just make it horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

lolranked

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

Picked up Steve this week, I don't know if y'all have any exp but its worth a shot. Just a couple of things bothering me, his b2 seems to be his only reliable launch option that doesn't require CH (Steve is a monster with CH :D), the problem being he doesn't seem to get much out of it.
    For safe damage I can go b2, ff2, TA blah blah then f2,1 flk b1, 3+4-2
    What I've been trying is b2, d2~1,2 and go for wall splat but they will splat face to wall and I can't get my B!
    Anyone know if this will work? Or any setups you've seen with b2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Kuro Tao wrote: »
    Picked up Steve this week, I don't know if y'all have any exp but its worth a shot. Just a couple of things bothering me, his b2 seems to be his only reliable launch option that doesn't require CH (Steve is a monster with CH :D), the problem being he doesn't seem to get much out of it.
    For safe damage I can go b2, ff2, TA blah blah then f2,1 flk b1, 3+4-2
    What I've been trying is b2, d2~1,2 and go for wall splat but they will splat face to wall and I can't get my B!
    Anyone know if this will work? Or any setups you've seen with b2?

b+1~b (holding back puts you into flicker) on CH is hit confirmable into DCK+1 (blue sparks) for a launch. On block/NH it's pretty safe and transitions into flicker, so you could try b+1~b (block), flicker 1,1 (block string) etc etc

ws 1+2 launcher for low punishes (HUGE DMG COMBO)

Peekabo uf+2 is very situational launcher, good for a whiff punish but range is so so

Of course, f+2,1 to catch backrollers into a huge combo is also tastey :P

As far as b+2 goes, I'll look into it but if your second character has a move that will flip the opponent over for the TA (after b+2, ff+2 bound), it will flip them back, for example, Hei OTGF, Hwo JFSR, etc, I'll mess around in training

Advertisement