Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Is the square gate also good for circular inputs?

Both gates are only as good as the player for hitting any inputs. The natural inclination is to feel that the circle gate is easier for any quarter-circle/half-circle motions because you can follow the shape of gate.

I believe this is a fallacy as no one jumps into learning how to play stick and goes straight to competent execution. They have to learn how to play stick and get comfortable with it. People use the circle gate for the sense of familarity (due to it's similarity with analogue sticks on pads) and then claim that the gate helped them get better instead of the month of practise they just had.

From a technical point of view (this won't effect you too much), the square gate offers 11% of it's area for every direction. A circle gate gives 14% to up, down, left and right but only 6% to the diagonals. This means that in theory you are more likely to miss an input with a circle gate. (If someone has the comparsion pic it would be handy. As an aside circle gates do have a much larger neutral area, I wonder if that could be helpful in a game that emphasises returning to neutral regularly.)

The main reason not to use it though is limiting the amount of sticks you can use. The vast majority of sticks and arcade cabs are going to have square gates.

I didn't meant to textwall this so much.

TL:DR; There's very little difference between the circle and square gates. So you should learn on square gate as it is by far the more common.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

@ramza: I assume you modded an existing stick to put in your bat-top K-stick yeah? Or did you buy a complete new stick all-together?

Nope. New stick on the market made by Laugh over at etokki.com, Korean stick that goes inside japanese cases/harness just fine :) No extra modding needed (apart from the fact that I had to cut away plastic for it to fit but that is because my SCV stick uses the noir layout and so I had to make room for the stick to fit. all other sticks work fine with it and need no extra hardware modding. It's a simple swap really!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Recca Kusanagi

Orim wrote: »
    Both gates are only as good as the player for hitting any inputs. The natural inclination is to feel that the circle gate is easier for any quarter-circle/half-circle motions because you can follow the shape of gate.

I believe this is a fallacy as no one jumps into learning how to play stick and goes straight to competent execution. They have to learn how to play stick and get comfortable with it. People use the circle gate for the sense of familarity (due to it's similarity with analogue sticks on pads) and then claim that the gate helped them get better instead of the month of practise they just had.

From a technical point of view (this won't effect you too much), the square gate offers 11% of it's area for every direction. A circle gate gives 14% to up, down, left and right but only 6% to the diagonals. This means that in theory you are more likely to miss an input with a circle gate. (If someone has the comparsion pic it would be handy. As an aside circle gates do have a much larger neutral area, I wonder if that could be helpful in a game that emphasises returning to neutral regularly.)

The main reason not to use it though is limiting the amount of sticks you can use. The vast majority of sticks and arcade cabs are going to have square gates.

I didn't meant to textwall this so much.

TL:DR; There's very little difference between the circle and square gates. So you should learn on square gate as it is by far the more common.

Many thanks Orim and the other guys who replied for your insight. :)

IMHO don't bother with circle gate. Like, at all. Or 8 way gate or whatever. Stick to square. Because square is the standard for pretty much every stick/arcade. Every stick you play on will be square, whether it be someone elses or in an arcade (pretty much everyone uses square, I only know one person who doesn't). There is nothing wrong with square and it's fine for learning, you don't have a standard for which is better right now because you are only learning. One or the other isn't better it's just preference. But I see 0 point in you switching to circle gate, so trust me learn on square and stick with square, circle isn't going to be easier etc. For now, just leave the square gate in. In the future if you want to go ahead and switch it out and try circle you can

TL:DR Stick with a square gate, it's way more popular and isn't any harder/easier (nor is any gate). Learning stick is hard and a circle gate isn't going to make it easier. If you are finding learning stick hard, that has 0 to do with the gate, changing the gate won't make it easier, so just stick with what you got and keep practicing. To back up Orim's points, circle gate isn't gonna make it easier or somehow make you learn faster, you don't know what an arcade stick feels like so a circle gate is going to be just as confusing so stick with square

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Chiming in with the other guys to say don't bother with anything but a square gate. You'll get no reward for something that'll make life harder on you.

I don't buy that a different gate makes people play better. It's the practice you put in that does (for most people there's not even much difference moving from a pad to a stick even, unless you've worked out specific tactics for things like plinking or the like).

As Orim says it's actually more likely to make you miss an input, not hit it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Cool video, got new low parry combos for Asuka/Miharu

No Kaz or DJ :(

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

The Kuni and Angel ones were sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

Argh.... Tekken is on the Friday this EVO....

But I'll probably go to the all nighter anyway!

And bring whiskey

Do! I sent messages to various players about coming like mad axes.

• Advertisement

If anyone is planning on going to the all nighter go to the thread and vote yes in the poll because Jun needs numbers. Even though Tekken won't be streamed I would still recommend going because there will be plenty of casuals and it will be a fun night.

I'm mainly going to get some MUs down (and to buss everyone up ;))

BTW, after the ranbats is finally over, I was thinking we should host small XGC TTT2 tournies from now on every month or 2 instead of a 2nd season. We keep finding new players in between sessions and it's not really fair on them competitive-wise.

So this way at least people who are often missing or new players can have an equal shot at top place.

And it'll take up wayyyy less time so there'll be plenty of time for casuals.

Oh and ofc I'll be willing to run them :P

Cool man I vote for that!

Also I will go to the EVO night for sure. would like to play after being abroad for the last while.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BOol-HBCMAAMgHb.jpg:large

Nobi's tier list and stuff, some pretty weird placements like Miguel, Nina and Yoshi.

Mishimas just chillin in SS like WHAT'S UP

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Ramza wrote: »
    Mishimas just chillin in SS like WHAT'S UP

If the Mishimas are top tier what makes Angel so crap ?, isnt she a Mishima clone ?, doesnt she have an EWGF ?.

Lot more to a Mishima than their electric

She's a mishima, but I have no idea why she's so bad, could be anything from bad punishment/wall carry/team psynergy/ etc. I don't play the character so I can't say

Angel has really bad movement and really bad pokes. I don't think she has a mid til like i14/i15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ixayek_usurper

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Angel has really bad movement and really bad pokes. I don't think she has a mid til like i14/i15.
    Just wanted to add that her EWGF has a lot less range than the other mishima's.
    Can't say anything more, since i too have never played the character either.

Strange that nobi has mig and leo placed soo high too.

Yeah Angel is a really YOLO character if you wanna play her you have just gotta go ham. Poke with EWGF's and Twin Pistons.

Getting owned by random lings online while streaming, I was SOO SALTY

****, teach me this MU gus :(

I'll go over the matchup with you in depth on Sun, gave you counters to online Lings stuff on stream anyway.

Btw @ Ramza

I think Miguel's really good.

Finally Asuka in top half tiers lol.

That video is why they're "theoretically" top tier. But not outside Asia...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Whether she is or not I find turtle Asukas one of the hardest fighting set-ups in the game to beat. Maybe its because she has so many launchers but man, I really dislike fighting her.

She is a super scummy character to play against for sure lol.

But she's the coolest char anyway :cool:

Mishimas aren't SS just because of their DMG, there are so many factors to go into making them so good, they're extremely well rounded characters, they have everything in spades, I think DJ is the best out of the Mishimas IMO, Hei next then Kaz, I'd go as far as to say DJ is the best character in the game, no bias in that statement as a DJ player

Db2 :mad:

• Advertisement

Yep I agree DJ is the best character in Tekken for sure.

But Ramza their damage is amazing I think. Kaz CH df2

Advertisement