Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen suppliers in Limerick

• 21-05-2012 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi, new to this but looking for recommendations for kitchen suppliers. Just need a simple smallish kitchen. Have gotten quotes from a few but have no idea who to go with. Have looked for reviews on boards but seem to be mostly related to Dublin. Have quotes from rite price kitchens,in house,keen kost kitchens.
    Going to go to Wickes, cash and carry kitchens during the week.

I'm looking for them to fit it too so would appreciate any feedback on reliability and value. First time doing this so dont want to get stung. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My aunt got her kitchen from a place on Mulgrave Street, their showroom is opposite Jerry O'Dea's Pub. Cannot think of the name of the place but she seems happy with it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

We got our from Brouder & Murphy kitchens, just opposite Donkey Fords near St Johns Hospital. If I remember his name was Donal? Very very nice man. Helped with the design, & gave some great storage ideas and unit designs for our kitchen (cos we have a tiny thing of a kitchen!) Think someone told me before they are manufactured locally too so was surprised how reasonable it was.

We spent ages shopping around for one - got shafted a bit in Wickes, tried Celtic Kitchens, Keen Cost weren't too bad on price, IKEA was a non runner after my aunt-in-law had a bit of an ordeal with them. We tried so so many. We had a camping stove, a George Foreman grill and a lot of take aways for the first 6 months after we moved into our house:rolleyes: ..I think I found Brouder and Murphy in the phone book and took a chance after meeting him as he was so nice. So glad we did.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Can also give a thumbs up for Brouder and Murphy. Had them do a quick 'face-lift' on my kitchen over a year ago and am very happy with it. They even turned up promptly at the agreed time of 8.00 am! Quick, cheerful and reasonably priced - and it's an all-Irish business.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

My cousin also had these chaps in Johns St and was also quite pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The missus works in In-House but I'm not shilling because we would both neither make a penny from it.

They have a deal, in the post newspaper every week. €999- looking at it right now. RE-FACE YOUR KITCHEN

A lot of kitchen fitters go to that place because they have everything in stock, except for special order stuff, so you can basically buy the kitchen, have it delivered and fitted as quick as you can organise yourself.

They will recommend a list of kitchen installers all independent because some might have jobs and and some available etc.

Also, as I'm sitting outside now reading the posters, it says 40% off floor and wall tiles with every kitchen.

Just remember you can haggle for a kitchen. Most people don't try but there is always a good haggle to have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Irish Wire Products on the Dock Road do kitchens, was in there last week for an open day. Never knew what they sold there. Bar wire. Which they don't any more. :-)

http://www.irishwire.com/kitchens.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Hi the guys bazz26 is talking about is universal kitchens on mulgrave street. I got my kitchen from them almost 7 years ago and its still as good as new. Got all my wardrobes done last year from them also. Three lads from limerick, very professional and as said superb quality. They are on Facebook and have a website, universalkitchens.com or .ie. Have no business connections with them at all, just a very happy customer. Good luck :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 daisyday121

Thanks to all for your replies, we've decided to go with Rite Price Kitchens. Anybody have any dealings with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mona.lisa

Hi Daisyday
    One piece of advice ask the guys in rite price if you have to hire your fitter seperate if so run a mile...
    I know this is the case with cash and carry type places and several others..
    My sister got a kitchen from one of them last year and it was hassle from beginning to finish well almost finished anyway...
    I was speaking to her the other day and she was saying that one of her doors fell off and when she rang them they said it was the fitters problem who since has emigrated!!!!
    Not the kind of after sale service you would expect huh?
    A friend of mine got one recently from that place on Mulgrave st and said they were top class ( they even fixed his interior door for him after it wouldn't fit after he got his floor tiled!!!)
    I think when the fitter is working directly for the company they are a lot more helpful and maybe do a better job also kinda makes sense too.
    Anyway best of luck either way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

+1 for Universal Kitchens on Mulgrave Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Kperry

Hi all, I have to admit I'm a newbie to boards so hope this works. I'm also looking at kitchen suppliers in limerick and wondered had anyone heard anything good/ bad about in house?? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

I have been to Universal kitchens and have been impressed by their setup. By all accounts they do a very good job.
    I was also at the open day for Irish Wire Products a couple of months back like a user below. Was really surprised with the quality of the store as to be honest, I didn't even know it was open to the public at the time - I picked up a few bits and pieces also. Have been back since to get a few things.
    My advice - check both these places out and get quotations from both.
    Kitchens aren't cheap so best to make an informed choice

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kperry

Thanks volvic 12!

Volvic12 wrote: »
    I have been to Universal kitchens and have been impressed by their setup. By all accounts they do a very good job.
    I was also at the open day for Irish Wire Products a couple of months back like a user below. Was really surprised with the quality of the store as to be honest, I didn't even know it was open to the public at the time - I picked up a few bits and pieces also. Have been back since to get a few things.
    My advice - check both these places out and get quotations from both.
    Kitchens aren't cheap so best to make an informed choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

+1 for Brouder and Murphy on John's St.

Donal Murphy is the guy there - very friendly, helpful and efficient.
    Cabinets were ordered and fitted in 1 week.
    Very happy with the results. Fitter was very quick and tidy.
    Local business - cabinets are made in West Limerick.

I've no connection to this business, just a happy customer.
    Recommended
    MtM
    We got our from Brouder & Murphy kitchens, just opposite Donkey Fords near St Johns Hospital. If I remember his name was Donal? Very very nice man. Helped with the design, & gave some great storage ideas and unit designs for our kitchen (cos we have a tiny thing of a kitchen!) Think someone told me before they are manufactured locally too so was surprised how reasonable it was.

We spent ages shopping around for one - got shafted a bit in Wickes, tried Celtic Kitchens, Keen Cost weren't too bad on price, IKEA was a non runner after my aunt-in-law had a bit of an ordeal with them. We tried so so many. We had a camping stove, a George Foreman grill and a lot of take aways for the first 6 months after we moved into our house:rolleyes: ..I think I found Brouder and Murphy in the phone book and took a chance after meeting him as he was so nice. So glad we did.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 carbookercom

have you tried Zanwood Designs in Croom? They did my kitchen a few years ago and it is still perfect and was a great addition to my house. It looks lovely and it gave me great storage space. Pleasure to cook in. I think their number is 061 397526.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dnm1234

We recently used Universal Kitchens for an office reception/kitchenette fitout. Their work is exceptional and they were very reasonable, helpful and came when they said they would.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Thanks to all for your replies, we've decided to go with Rite Price Kitchens. Anybody have any dealings with them?

Hi, How did you fair out with Rire Price? We are tossing a coin between Rite Price and Universal Kitchens. Not much in price difference, Rite Price slightly cheaper. The use an installer called Tom, any chance he fitted yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭SeanElec1

Can recommend James Browne in Kildimo. Reasonable price, great workmanship. Did kitchen, utility & built-in wardrobes for us.
    Rite-price did job for brother-in-law (good) & sister-in-law (mediocre).

We've committed to Rite Price now. The only concern I have with them is the 100% payment (50% Deposit 50% on delivery) offers no recourse if we get a butcher and not a fitter. The sales guy swore he would stand over the fitter, but I've now emailed him asking for that in writing as I've just realised under their T&C's the state they are not responsible for fitting. Should he fail to give in writing first thing in morning I'm stopping the cheque. Did your in-laws have any come back wit the mediocre fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭SeanElec1

Tommy, There was no come back, but to be honest there was a lot happening at the time & there was no real effort to squeeze them. The other kitchen which ended up quite well was not looking good half way through the installation, but my brother-in-law was determined in his complaining & got it finished by an alternative fitter who worked out fine. You need to be cautious with the fitters (probably true with all of the makers). Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

I got my kitchen in B&Q, we built it ourselves and it still looks as good as it did 6 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimmydkid

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    We've committed to Rite Price now. The only concern I have with them is the 100% payment (50% Deposit 50% on delivery) offers no recourse if we get a butcher and not a fitter. The sales guy swore he would stand over the fitter, but I've now emailed him asking for that in writing as I've just realised under their T&C's the state they are not responsible for fitting. Should he fail to give in writing first thing in morning I'm stopping the cheque. Did your in-laws have any come back wit the mediocre fit?

A guy called John o brien fitted my kitchen That i bought from right price and I was very happy with his work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DOBBER112

Just had a solid oak kitchen fitted a few months back and found them great to deal with. You do pay your fitter yourself but he's a very genuine guy and a very good fitter.
    Overall for what I got they came in cheapest and best value/quality for what I wanted. Looks great. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

I had rite price kitchens do some fitted wardrobes and presses a couple of years back and found them to be awful to deal with. My order was wrong from the start. I noticed this at home and informed them their drawing were wrong. The order still came to me wrong. Over an 8 week period they came to me about 4 times to try and sort about 4 separate small problems that i never should of had if the order was taken correctly. None of these problem were fixed to my satisfaction. I eventually gave up on them and sorted the problems myself. Problems like locker sizes being incorrect and beds not fitting, shelves and rails being the wrong size and it the wrong positions. All simple problems easily avoidable from the start. The guys in the office were anything but nice to me when they weren't avoiding me. Luckily id withheld the final payment when the order was wrong. Would not recommend them given my experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

bazz26 wrote: »
    My aunt got her kitchen from a place on Mulgrave Street, their showroom is opposite Jerry O'Dea's Pub. Cannot think of the name of the place but she seems happy with it anyways.

That place on mulgrave street is called universal kitchens, we got a new kitchen from them last yr! no complaints, great work and beautiful stuff on show there! there coming next week to put new presses in our utility room! very reasonable - they also supply labour in the price!

http://www.universalkitchens.ie/

SeanElec1 wrote: »
    Can recommend James Browne in Kildimo. Reasonable price, great workmanship. Did kitchen, utility & built-in wardrobes for us.
    Rite-price did job for brother-in-law (good) & sister-in-law (mediocre).

Fitter finished today, looks like I got the mediocre finish, small things like crooked door handle, very slight gaps in the pelmet mitres, cutlery tray not sitting into drawer properly, drawer not closing 100%, no screw caps. Bonus is I have the balance of the money which was due upon delivery of the kitchen, the driver was a young fella who hadn't the goolies to ask for it. They phoned looking for their money within an hour of fitter leaving but I missed their call. Then they called back about 3 hours later, but by then I had seen these little issues as we were cleaning down. They were pressing me for Card Payment over the phone as kept pointing out that under their T&C's I should have paid on delivery. I then pointed out under my statutory rights the product has to be of merchantable quality and I dont think it is 100%. I'd give it a 90%.............................TBC

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jinkaway

Irish Wire on the dock road are very good. There paint price are the I've seen around as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 denni31

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    Fitter finished today, looks like I got the mediocre finish, small things like crooked door handle, very slight gaps in the pelmet mitres, cutlery tray not sitting into drawer properly, drawer not closing 100%, no screw caps. Bonus is I have the balance of the money which was due upon delivery of the kitchen, the driver was a young fella who hadn't the goolies to ask for it. They phoned looking for their money within an hour of fitter leaving but I missed their call. Then they called back about 3 hours later, but by then I had seen these little issues as we were cleaning down. They were pressing me for Card Payment over the phone as kept pointing out that under their T&C's I should have paid on delivery. I then pointed out under my statutory rights the product has to be of merchantable quality and I dont think it is 100%. I'd give it a 90%.............................TBC

Hi Tommy
    i have been looking at the kitchens in there also but find it very suspicious that they are changing their name at the moment and im finding it hard to have any faith in givingthem my money...please let us know how you get on with the kitchen ..hope you get it complete

Ok, all problems were sorted out, still only an ok fit, not great considering the extremely accurate and detailed fits iv'e seen in my job as a spark. Now when cleaning down again I see another door which has a manufacturing fault, and another is starting to warp. My advice, steer clear and try Universal Kitchens on Mulgrave street, really wish I'd spent the extra 500 with them now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement