Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spec-Ops: The Line

Options
  • 21-05-2012 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭

The demo of this is out on the marketplace, played it last night and enjoyed it.

Your a Delta Force team sent to a destroyed Dubai to search for an American Colonel and his company of American Soldiers, who were sent in to evacuate survivors after Dubai was destroyed by huge sandstorms. The Colonel and his company soon go off the radar, bar a few transmissions picked up from them that suggest they have "left" the US army (ala Apocalypse Now)

Gameplay Video:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Taught the demo was excellent. May very well pick it up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Tried the demo and its generic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭TheGunns

watched a vid of its gameplay couple days ago and i think it looks epic
    definate buy for me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

I cant wait for this game looks amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

absolutely brilliant game. loved it. watershed moment in storytelling for the genre imo

review incoming

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Helix wrote: »

Great stuff! I knew it had potential!

How long is the single player campaign Helix? Id expect it's long enough with the story sounding so good!

long enough that you'll actually start thinking that each of the last 5 chapters are the last chapter :P

we've just been chatting with the writer/narrative director of the game and he's going to do us the honour of an interview if there's anything anyone would like to know about the process of writing a game's script

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭TheGunns

absolutely brilliant game. loved it. watershed moment in storytelling for the genre imo

review incoming

was really hopeful but the reviews of the demo were average to bad
    absolutely delighted that the game is good. Can't wait to get it now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im not really interested in single player and trust very few reviewers.
    I find totalbiscuit ,Eldergeek etc to be honest guys.
    Multiplayer looks good but War Inc does the 3rd person multiplayer modern shooter pretty darn good and its free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

we've just been chatting with the writer/narrative director of the game and he's going to do us the honour of an interview if there's anything anyone would like to know about the process of writing a game's script

Ask him, "Why Dubai?"

Can't think of anything else having not played the game. It would be class if it copied even a 1/4 of the atmosphere of Apocalypse Now

Dcully wrote: »
    Im not really interested in single player

no point bothering with spec ops then, as you'll be missing out on the best part of the game

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

no point bothering with spec ops then, as you'll be missing out on the best part of the game

Well written review btw,fair play.
    Which would you recommend for 3rd person MP spec ops or future soldier? on PC btw.
    Ill check out your future soldier review later today.

I watched a stream lastnight of ghost recon online beta [different game to future soldier]with the devs playing and it looks fantastic, i believe its going to be F2P.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Wow, that's some review.

Looking forward to getting stuck into the game now this evening, only played the 1st few chapters so far. So far its ok, but my expectations have now skyrocketed after reading that review.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Okish shooter with a sense of real war plot. 2 main gripes were control issues, few times i idead staring at sandbags whilst smashing space bar. No idea why you couldnt move round objects in cover. and the littlebird level, i have no idea how i did it but i died about 20 times. Still not sure how i made it past, dont know what i was doing right or wrong.

For a game with a serious plot, its has a stupid ending with more plot holes than Fight Club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Not finished yet , but this is a lot better than I was expecting especially in terms of plot and the "human cost of war" ok it has holes and the combat is a bit generic , really lacks the ability to roll or dodge in places.

Playing on suicide mission difficulty isn't super hard but there were a couple of parts that took me more than 10 attempts :o namely The Pit, talk about tension it's been a while since a game has given me such a buzz from beating a section as I got from that one :D

The greatest disappointment was the lack of co-op, I could have sworn that it had co-op when I saw it being played at e3 , it's bloody typical if this had got co-op no one on my friends list would be playing it and as it is 4 of them are :mad:

Didn't play the multiplayer because when I tried I was the only person playing :confused:

This would be a great rental for anyone interested in the genre or even casual players. I say rental because of the lack of people in multiplayer.

Edit: I'm on chapter 13 now and get the feeling that the twist or possible twist is being sign posted, hope i'm wrong but after that and earlier events I don't think I am

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Its quite infuriating on Fubar difficulty.

Thought the game was ok, Story is great, but the game itself is ok, dumb squad mates and poor controls really let it down.

You really should be able to command the squad to take cover not just to attack a single target and flash bang the odd time. If I could get them to take cover way behind me and let me to the shooting, I'd enjoy the game more, I do not enjoy constantly healing them or failing because of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I've just started playing this on PC and while I'm only on Chapter 3 I like the settings and combat feels nice though I can see how squad-mates can/will be annoying!

1 thing though that I really annoying me though are the controls! Why bind Sprint/Cover etc to e.g. Space (ala Mass Effect) but then bind Vault/Melee to another single key... it really just makes it akward! I know that this is due to the game being designed for consoles first but at least give me the option to assign certain actions to different keys!

One control feature I do like and is something I feel should be in every TPS: controlling the aim camera. What I mean by this is by pressing a certain button I can change which shoulder I am aiming over. This was missing from Binary Domain and for me personally the camera in the game just never sat right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Tried it on steam there, and enjoyed it.

Not gonna pay full price for it, I can wait till xmas Steam sale, as I can't see it comin down much in the upcoming sale as it's only new.

Needed to adjust the brightness though, was very dark.

Also, the squad controls were functional, but not great.

With regards to story, I want to know more..., why did the 13th revolt and seperate from the US Army.
    Why are US troops, killing US troops in a foreign country.
    Why does Dubai look like it was hit by a Nuclear bomb

Edit : Just checked wikipedia to the last question - didn't read further though as I want to play out the story
    Six months prior to the game, the worst series of dust storms in recorded history began across Dubai in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Dubai's politicians and wealthy elite downplayed the situation before evacuating in secret, leaving countless Emiratis behind. .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Tried it on steam there, and enjoyed it.

Not gonna pay full price for it, I can wait till xmas Steam sale, as I can't see it comin down much in the upcoming sale as it's only new.

steam sales are going to kill this hobby of ours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Yahtzee also just put up a review - and OMG - he liked it and reccomended it.
    There are minor spoilers to the plot somewhat, so ..don't read if you wanna play through yourself I guess.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/6021-Spec-Ops-The-Line

steam sales are going to kill this hobby of ours

And no, it just means it will be an everlasting list :D
    However, I think that...for every game I play, I buy 5 , and have this every growing list, so in 10 years time I will only probably be getting round to Spec Ops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

bought this today having played the demo this morning, looking forward to playing it tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

played the demo, pants, nothing that hasn't been done before.
    waste of a download

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Tempted to pick this up, as the story is supposed to be excellent. Might see if it's reduced anymore in the Steam sales.

platinums wrote: »
    played the demo, pants, nothing that hasn't been done before.
    waste of a download

Fairly theres at least 3 "things" in this game that have never been done before.

All story related but hinge on certain actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Fairly theres at least 3 "things" in this game that have never been done before.

All story related but hinge on certain actions.

I just finished it there and it was definitely different... combat was fairly generic but decent fun though I really liked the story even with the various oddities. Also top notch music in various parts of the game.

I'm fairly certain of the areas you are on about and I wish I actually did things differently but really didn't think certain situations through!

Do they though have enough consequence on the story to actually change the ending? You can use spoiler tags to hide it :)

I just finished it there and it was definitely different... combat was fairly generic but decent fun though I really liked the story even with the various oddities. Also top notch music in various parts of the game.

I'm fairly certain of the areas you are on about and I wish I actually did things differently but really didn't think certain situations through!

Do they though have enough consequence on the story to actually change the ending? You can use spoiler tags to hide it :)

Dunno tbh

I got my ending but think everyone looked at
    the gate and thought nuke em
    i think they wanted you to think that and do it.

The next moment was the 1st time a video game made me "feel" .

if the entire game was set up to do that it worked.

Seriously i actually said "fcuk" out loud and anyone who has played it prolly said it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

In a word
    No

There are 2 different ends from what I saw, and I'm sure you guessed which point determines which one you get.

Started playing on fubar last night, after playing the main game on Suicide Mission, very frustrating at times.

Glad I played on the hardest difficulty available on my first run though , as after replaying earlier missions for achievements / other choices on the easier settings this game would not have been very rewarding or challenging at all. As much as I swore at the screen on parts during suicide mission I would not have come away from the game with the same opinion having played on easy.

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    There are 2 different ends from what I saw, and I'm sure you guessed which point determines which one you get.

i got 3 different ones

not sure if there's any more

Advertisement