Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spec-Ops: The Line

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Helix wrote: »
    i got 3 different ones

not sure if there's any more

Theres 4 but not really that different and all based

Big Spoiler to anyone not finished
    on decisions the at the end. Kill Konrad or Kill Yourself, if you kill Konrad you get an epilogue where you get another choice shoot or lay down arms and go with the soldiers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Rented this one so I shouldn't be too upset.

Apparently it's scoring for it's anti-war theme, ahead of any gameplay so we'll just have to see how that rings true because I never woulda guessed it from the box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

calex71 wrote: »
    Theres 4 but not really that different and all based

Big Spoiler to anyone not finished
    on decisions the at the end. Kill Konrad or Kill Yourself, if you kill Konrad you get an epilogue where you get another choice shoot or lay down arms and go with the soldiers

forgot about that bit

yeah i got all 4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

calex71 wrote: »
    Started playing on fubar last night, after playing the main game on Suicide Mission, very frustrating at times.

You still playing FUBAR?

I got fed up of it, team mates constant deaths were too much to handle. They are worse than useless on that difficulty. Play till chapter 10 I think, and there is a section in car park heading for the Aquarium, I gave up there, no achievement is worth it if it aint fun.

This is like 3rd person Bad Company!

..it's alright. The plot hasn't really begun to unfurl yet so going by gameplay! Into this supposed heart of darkness I trudge...

• Advertisement

Completed it, there I guess the clue was in the title for the line was indeed crossed

Some decent AI that swarms / flanks n some fun with the single command you can usher (take em out!) but other than that.. non too astounding I'd be more concerned at the fact this is scoring more for not being another gung-ho pro-war game. Just how few is there?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Picked this up on Saturday for something to play and just finished it now. Absolutely brilliant stuff, really took me by surprise. Hadn't heard much about it beforehand but it has one of the best stories in recent times. Enjoyed the ending too :)

Going to do a second playthrough just to see if any of the "choices" can be done differently :D
    the phosporous bombing on the civilians is one of the most jarring moments I've played in any game, that shot of the burned mother and daughter was nasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

DarkJager wrote: »
    the phosporous bombing on the civilians is one of the most jarring moments I've played in any game, that shot of the burned mother and daughter was nasty!

That stuff is nasty did have a moment of oh crap what have i done walking through the bodies screaming

For the endings I only got 3. Don't shoot Conrad and you die. Shoot him then the game continues to the epilogue where you can lay your gun down and go with the soldiers or shoot them. I did die at this stage so not sure can you kill the soldiers or will you die no matter what you do.

Overall some pretty decent bits, quality dips in places one moment it looks amazing then for no reason it just looks awful. Story keep you guessing but i was expecting a lot more from it and the end was a let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Needed to adjust the brightness though, was very dark.

On PC the game tells you to adjust the brightness when you first load it up. Also lets you add a sort of instagram type filter if you're into that.

I had not heard of this one but bought it on the basis of the positive ZP review. I had recently finished playing Uncharted and was frustrated by the lack of consequence of the mass murder you commit in the game so one that apparently deals with this issue sounded perfect.

I'm fairly far at this stage (Chapter 12 or 13) and I'm sort of disappointed. Gameplay is standard enough 3rd person shooter so no complaints. You shoot the enemy before he shoots you. You get the standard gun selection. Ammo is a little more scarce than in other shooters I've played and enemy AI is quite good. If you stay holed up behind cover they will flush you out so it encourages you to keep moving. The squadmate command button seems kind of ineffectual, they're often slow to act and it's easier to just shoot the target yourself. I had heard there were some bugs but didn't encounter any and the game has been frustration-free so far. The only bug I've had is occasional absence of sound for cutscenes.

Graphics are passable but the art direction is great and original.

The part I'm disappointed with is the story. The character's dialogue is good and the parts are well acted but I'm just not getting the whole "horrors of war" vibe. After the freakishly solemn ZP review I was thinking "wow, this must be some heavy stuff" but so far I haven't felt particularly horrified. There was the one moment when you
    use a mortar to fire white phosphorus and you realise afterward that you just killed a huge refugee camp
    and that was kind of rough but other than that I haven't got much and for the most part genuinely feel justified in most of my actions. Even the part where
    Riggs destroys the shipment of water didn't make me feel bad because it was Riggs' fault and he was just trying to prevent a much larger war. It still seems like the 33rd are the bad guys.
    I also had to check Wikipedia to find out that there are three warring factions and not two. I had thought it was just the CIA guys and the 33rd but apparently there's a breakaway group from the 33rd too.
    Even then I think there needs to be more distinction between them. Just my two cents though,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

C14N wrote: »
    SeantheMan wrote: »
    Needed to adjust the brightness though, was very dark.

On PC the game tells you to adjust the brightness when you first load it up. Also lets you add a sort of instagram type filter if you're into that.

I had not heard of this one but bought it on the basis of the positive ZP review. I had recently finished playing Uncharted and was frustrated by the lack of consequence of the mass murder you commit in the game so one that apparently deals with this issue sounded perfect.

I'm fairly far at this stage (Chapter 12 or 13) and I'm sort of disappointed. Gameplay is standard enough 3rd person shooter so no complaints. You shoot the enemy before he shoots you. You get the standard gun selection. Ammo is a little more scarce than in other shooters I've played and enemy AI is quite good. If you stay holed up behind cover they will flush you out so it encourages you to keep moving. The squadmate command button seems kind of ineffectual, they're often slow to act and it's easier to just shoot the target yourself. I had heard there were some bugs but didn't encounter any and the game has been frustration-free so far. The only bug I've had is occasional absence of sound for cutscenes.

Graphics are passable but the art direction is great and original.

The part I'm disappointed with is the story. The character's dialogue is good and the parts are well acted but I'm just not getting the whole "horrors of war" vibe. After the freakishly solemn ZP review I was thinking "wow, this must be some heavy stuff" but so far I haven't felt particularly horrified. There was the one moment when you
    use a mortar to fire white phosphorus and you realise afterward that you just killed a huge refugee camp
    and that was kind of rough but other than that I haven't got much and for the most part genuinely feel justified in most of my actions. Even the part where
    Riggs destroys the shipment of water didn't make me feel bad because it was Riggs' fault and he was just trying to prevent a much larger war. It still seems like the 33rd are the bad guys.
    I also had to check Wikipedia to find out that there are three warring factions and not two. I had thought it was just the CIA guys and the 33rd but apparently there's a breakaway group from the 33rd too.
    Even then I think there needs to be more distinction between them. Just my two cents though,
    What was the craic with the 33Rd
    who was in charge of them if walker was hallucinating the whole thing. if they were rogue why did they go under his command right at the end

• Advertisement

cursai wrote: »
    What was the craic with the 33Rd
    who was in charge of them if walker was hallucinating the whole thing. if they were rogue why did they go under his command right at the end
    They weren't under his command. He imagined them. The way I saw it, it was possible that the 33rd were hallucinations throughout the game and they were all dead before Walker even arrived. It's a pretty sure thing that Konrad was dead from the start at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Finished this today, really enjoyed it. Comparing it to any other shooter out there this beats them hands down story wise. Yes it had its plot holes but at least they tried a different angle, and it had it's moments where I was like "oh feck!"

I thought the epilogue was excellent, very sad and somber ending.

The way the squad dynamic changes throughout the game was excellent too I thought.

A seriously impressive game despite its few flaws.

Kudos deserved I think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Just to let people know, the game is €24.09 on the hut.

http://www.thehut.com/elysium.search?nav=usp&search=spec+Ops%3A+the+line

Think I might pick it up

Well After leaving it for a while I played through the game over the weekend.

I really enjoyed it as the story was good and emotional however I don't think there was enough choice in the game. When you look at it, no matter what you do for the majority of the game, it is only the last decision you make that will affect the ending.

Major disappointment for me was
    the phosphorus attack
    . I knew it wasn't a good idea but it didn't look like I had any choice in it which was annoying. Was it possible to do that level another way?

Anyway I did really enjoy it and thought I played it for longer than I actually did. Completed it in about 4 hours I think.

tok9 wrote: »
    Well After leaving it for a while I played through the game over the weekend.

I really enjoyed it as the story was good and emotional however I don't think there was enough choice in the game. When you look at it, no matter what you do for the majority of the game, it is only the last decision you make that will affect the ending.

Major disappointment for me was
    the phosphorus attack
    . I knew it wasn't a good idea but it didn't look like I had any choice in it which was annoying. Was it possible to do that level another way?

Anyway I did really enjoy it and thought I played it for longer than I actually did. Completed it in about 4 hours I think.

Not having a choice was the point. If you could have done that part differently then it would have defeated the purpose.

C14N wrote: »
    Not having a choice was the point. If you could have done that part differently then it would have defeated the purpose.

It still would have at least been better if
    you were able to rapple down and an infinite amount of enemies kept spawning
    . So that once you exhausted that avenue you say
    fcuk them, they are getting whats coming to them.

I don't know, the lack of choice in a game, especially one so story driven annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Fairly sure that was the point of the game, any other option wouldnt have made sense.
    You killed all those people for no reason.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Fairly sure that was the point of the game, any other option wouldnt have made sense.
    You killed all those people for no reason.

Yea, isent that were things go "downhill" for your character?

It's a turning point.

Yea, isent that were things go "downhill" for your character?

It's a turning point.

Yes I know but it's so obvious that it's a bad idea that it kind of took me out of the game.

Yes I know but it's so obvious that it's a bad idea that it kind of took me out of the game.

Yea I know where your coming from but it couldn't really give you a choice, as where would the story go after that?

I don't mind when choice is taken from you as long as it makes sense.

The whole scene after that was brilliant I felt, hard hitting.

• Advertisement

Yea I know where your coming from but it couldn't really give you a choice, as where would the story go after that?

I don't mind when choice is taken from you as long as it makes sense.

The whole scene after that was brilliant I felt, hard hitting.

Yes that's fair enough, I just wish it was done in a more forced or subtle way. Like if I was under fire from another group and had to make a quick decision.

Anyway I'm just nitpicking, I still really enjoyed the game

Yes that's fair enough, I just wish it was done in a more forced or subtle way. Like if I was under fire from another group and had to make a quick decision.

Anyway I'm just nitpicking, I still really enjoyed the game

Totally agree, I could see it was the "wrong" decision straight away and tried to avoid it!

I think the game should get a lot of credit for having the balls of trying to have a proper emotive storyline instead of all the gung-ho kicking terrorist ass bs in most modern shooters. The fact this had you killing US soldiers and CIA agents was always a ballsy move. Nobody in the game comes out smelling of roses.

I felt the game took you to a dark place if you let it, explore the world, listen to conversations and the intel you found and you realised it was never going to be a straight forward game.

The gunplay isent the best but not unplayable, and ill take that any day over the COD and BF campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

So is this game worth playing? I keep hearing that the story is very interesting but the game itself isn't that fun. Worth it for the story?

So is this game worth playing? I keep hearing that the story is very interesting but the game itself isn't that fun. Worth it for the story?

The story makes it but it is still an enjoyable game, mechanics are good in it. Only thing that annoyed me gameplay wise was that every so often i couldn't jump over an obstacle when I seemed to need to. Died a good few times because of that.

I think it was supposed to be a case of the main character believed that there was no other option so he decided to use the mortar. The idea of frustrating the player to make them do it is interesting, but I'm glad it wasn't some ****ty binary moral choice where it was like
    "burn them for evil points".

Gameplay is solid, I didn't have any issues on PC version. Story is very interesting though, that's what kept me playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It still would have at least been better if
    you were able to rapple down and an infinite amount of enemies kept spawning
    . So that once you exhausted that avenue you say
    fcuk them, they are getting whats coming to them.

I don't know, the lack of choice in a game, especially one so story driven annoys me.
    I've never been given much choice in how I read a story in a book! :pac:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I've never been given much choice in how I read a story in a book! :pac:

Yes but this is a game!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

From what I've read the "choice" was to stop. To realise you can't actually fix the world by just plowing ahead. It was meant to highlight that the idea that the good choice is always something that plays into game play. You never have a good choice that ends the fun of the game for obvious reasons. I think it was meant to remind us of unrealistic that is (not that games should be realistic).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

You can mortar the troops but the other end of the compound i assume like most others did we just kept firing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

right i just finished this game. i have to say i really enjoyed it, but i am still confused with ending...
    So.. yeah i got to the top and sow that the voice of Konrad was only in his head. And walker did do all these horrible things, but 33d was not headed by konrad, it was just out lose killing ****? i am still confused on what was real, what was not. as those 2 hanging people were only in his imagination.. so... he still did fought all 33d, but with now and then some halusinations?

Advertisement