Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spec-Ops: The Line

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I finished this game myself earlier today and I quite enjoyed it. I found the gunplay to be really fun, all the weapons were very satisfying to use. It is one of the few shooters that I found myself actively looking for new weapons and switching guns regularly. It was quite a short game though. My playthrough lasted 5 hours 5 minutes.

I had a couple of issues with the cover mechanic. Sometimes I'd find my character wouldn't go into cover when I wanted or I'd get stuck in cover when the AI would through another pin-point grenade. The main reason I bought the game was to see the story I'd heard so much about. It was pretty good and it didn't wrap up that neatly. I have some of the same questions about the game that ShadowHearth above has.

I do have one big question.
    The game opens with a turret sequence in a helicopter and then cuts to the previous day. Later when the game catches up with that section the main character says something like, 'Wait, I've done this before.' Now you could read that as the character breaking the forth-wall but I've seen another explanation. That is that the character dies in the helicopter crash at the beginning and the rest of the game is him leaving out his own personal hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I finished this game myself earlier today and I quite enjoyed it. I found the gunplay to be really fun, all the weapons were very satisfying to use. It is one of the few shooters that I found myself actively looking for new weapons and switching guns regularly. It was quite a short game though. My playthrough lasted 5 hours 5 minutes.

I had a couple of issues with the cover mechanic. Sometimes I'd find my character wouldn't go into cover when I wanted or I'd get stuck in cover when the AI would through another pin-point grenade. The main reason I bought the game was to see the story I'd heard so much about. It was pretty good and it didn't wrap up that neatly. I have some of the same questions about the game that ShadowHearth above has.

I do have one big question.
    The game opens with a turret sequence in a helicopter and then cuts to the previous day. Later when the game catches up with that section the main character says something like, 'Wait, I've done this before.' Now you could read that as the character breaking the forth-wall but I've seen another explanation. That is that the character dies in the helicopter crash at the beginning and the rest of the game is him leaving out his own personal hell.
    Thats what Walt whatever his surname is says, the guy who wrote it. Its walkers own purgatory.

Cannot recommend this highly enough, also if people get the chance they should read the online book written about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

cloud493 wrote: »
    Thats what Walt whatever his surname is says, the guy who wrote it. Its walkers own purgatory.

Cannot recommend this highly enough, also if people get the chance they should read the online book written about it.

+1. Its a good game. Even if you play it only once. you can pick it up for a 5eu and i can see a lot worse ways how to spend that fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I completed it in 4 hours according to STEAM.
    Really enjoyed it though :) worth the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

No other game has made me feel as sh*tty over killing people and the consequences of choices I made. It's an amazing experience. The gunplay is nothing particularly new but it works nicely. If it weren't for the story, the game would be mediocre. But the story turns it into something very special indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭TheGunns

This game was easily the best game I played last year. Played it just before the New Year and I'm so glad I did, this really was an amazing gaming experience. The story was probably the best I've ever played and was really better than most movies. Hard to explain how good it is and why it is but all anyone should know is to buy this. Great great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I played it just after xmas, its short, but I played it on Suicide Mission difficulty, so it wasn't too short. I really enjoyed it, would definitely recommend it. Makes a nice change from killing aliens/Russians/anyone else America doesn't like.

mcgovern wrote: »
    I played it just after xmas, its short, but I played it on Suicide Mission difficulty, so it wasn't too short. I really enjoyed it, would definitely recommend it. Makes a nice change from killing aliens/Russians/anyone else America doesn't like.

what america does not like more then things you mentioned above?! aother americans!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think i might pick this up, been humming and hawwing over it for a while now, but the comments might persuade me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I would just like to point out that Spec Ops earned the rather prestigious honour of being the Zero Punctuation #1 Game of the Year. Currently going for just £9 on Amazon on PC or £20 on the consoles.

• Advertisement

C14N wrote: »
    I would just like to point out that Spec Ops earned the rather prestigious honour of being the Zero Punctuation #1 Game of the Year. Currently going for just £9 on Amazon on PC or £20 on the consoles.

holy crap, i just looked at that! :eek:

I love him. He just proves once again on how unsheepish his reviews are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I finished/played this when it first came out and I did really enjoy it. Surprised I never copped that as like a few others I was confused abit about the ending. Actually makes more sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

TheGunns wrote: »
    The story was probably the best I've ever played and was really better than most movies.

I played this at Christmas as well and thought the story was very good but then I bought and played The Walking Dead and it just blows it out of the water for story
    It is now my top game of 2012

This is an excerpt from the book I mentioned

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/11/read-an-excerpt-from-killing-is-harmless-a-book-sized-reading-of-spec-ops-the-line/

Killing is harmless, a critical reading of spec ops the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Skerries wrote: »
    I played this at Christmas as well and thought the story was very good but then I bought and played The Walking Dead and it just blows it out of the water for story
    It is now my top game of 2012

Played the first episode of the walking dead and thought it was very good, but I have to say that the gameplay in Spec Ops is much better and the story is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Another great subtle touch I only just picked up on
    at the three points in the game you get separated from your squad mates you have only a pistol on you. In two of them (the first and last) its a desert eagle and the second time you pick up a revolver. Now the desert eagle is interesting because its a weapon you dont ever pick up in the game I think, you start the game with an m9 pistol and I dont think anyone else ever pulls a a eagle on you during the campaign. *Except* in the ending, when the weapon konrad killed himself with is in fact a Desert eagle, and it is a desert eagle you use either to kill yourself or konrad's reflection at the end of the game (and still have it in the epilogue).

Picked this up when it was on midweek madness sale this week with steam, really enjoyed it despite the flaws (gamebreaking bugs requiring me to reload checkpoints twice during my playthrough and at times frustratingly repetitive gameplay) I really felt it was the style that really sold it to me. From the very beginning I just loved how the game *spoke* to me, from its storyline to the quirky messages it would send as either mission objectives or loading screen quotes, I liked that in the opening credits it announced me as a special guest star, I adored the loading quote later in the game
    It's all your fault
    and just how the player, the characters and the enviroment decayed over time, also that freaky fight with the heavy where the lights start flickering, was an early scary tense surprise this year for me.
    sadly I will admit my judgement at the games epilogue was spoiled by my most childish of reasons, I'd only just discovered the joy of the AA12 shotgun in the very last segment of the game after I took it from the heavy who burst through the door, but really really enjoyed using it. So when Walker was holding that at the end, the desire to do another segment using it overpowered my moral sense to what is right and I blew the head off the guy who was asking me to hand him the gun :(

You know a game has struck a chord when the first thing you want to do after finishing is talk about it.

Also is this the first video game that can be considered a satire? I know we've had parodies, but this could be the first genuine satire.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Another great subtle touch I only just picked up on
    at the three points in the game you get separated from your squad mates you have only a pistol on you. In two of them (the first and last) its a desert eagle and the second time you pick up a revolver. Now the desert eagle is interesting because its a weapon you dont ever pick up in the game I think, you start the game with an m9 pistol and I dont think anyone else ever pulls a a eagle on you during the campaign. *Except* in the ending, when the weapon konrad killed himself with is in fact a Desert eagle, and it is a desert eagle you use either to kill yourself or konrad's reflection at the end of the game (and still have it in the epilogue).

Picked this up when it was on midweek madness sale this week with steam, really enjoyed it despite the flaws (gamebreaking bugs requiring me to reload checkpoints twice during my playthrough and at times frustratingly repetitive gameplay) I really felt it was the style that really sold it to me. From the very beginning I just loved how the game *spoke* to me, from its storyline to the quirky messages it would send as either mission objectives or loading screen quotes, I liked that in the opening credits it announced me as a special guest star, I adored the loading quote later in the game
    It's all your fault
    and just how the player, the characters and the enviroment decayed over time, also that freaky fight with the heavy where the lights start flickering, was an early scary tense surprise this year for me.
    sadly I will admit my judgement at the games epilogue was spoiled by my most childish of reasons, I'd only just discovered the joy of the AA12 shotgun in the very last segment of the game after I took it from the heavy who burst through the door, but really really enjoyed using it. So when Walker was holding that at the end, the desire to do another segment using it overpowered my moral sense to what is right and I blew the head off the guy who was asking me to hand him the gun :(

You know a game has struck a chord when the first thing you want to do after finishing is talk about it.

Also is this the first video game that can be considered a satire? I know we've had parodies, but this could be the first genuine satire.
    No you can definitely find the desert eagle in game. It was the weapon I had in my hand after the civilians killed Lugo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

No you can definitely find the desert eagle in game. It was the weapon I had in my hand after the civilians killed Lugo.

thats one of the two levels you start with it that I mentioned.
    that level starts with you getting up from the helicopter crash and the only weapon on you is a desert eagle

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

For me its the moment just after the mortar section, the sheer jaw dropping cop on off what just happened.

Quite brilliant/gaming moment/story telling/cause/effect moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Resurrecting a year old thread. Just finished this today. I enjoyed it immensely, more than I thought I would. I played the demo a few months back and dismissed it for it's generic gameplay but the story dragged me in like no other. I'm one of those people who do not pick up on any clues during a film or game which link to the story's ending (:o) to which therefore shocked me when it came about.

My favourite moment in my recent gaming history was when Martha and the Vandellas played out over the speakers during one firefight. Seriously epic. I dragged that one out as long as I could!

Highly recommended especially since you can pick it up for a song nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

To jump in on the latecomers bandwagon, I got this ages ago but only finally played through it over the past couple of days.

It was immense. Music was used beautifully in it. Loved it.

Gbear wrote: »
    To jump in on the latecomers bandwagon, I got this ages ago but only finally played through it over the past couple of days.

It was immense. Music was used beautifully in it. Loved it.

It such a shame people discover this game only as a Bargain bin object. Unfortunately I was one of them too. I got it for a fiver and I think it was best fiver I ever spent... ( looking at you piece of **** "Tale of two brothers" I will never get that fiver back now... )

Fantastic game its a shame it did not sell that well when was launched. In fairness most of us expected mediocore shooter...

Psychonauts of the 10ties?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Psychonauts of the 10ties?

I just got that in the steam sale too! Hooray for Steam giving you a glimpse of games you'd never otherwise discover!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

€5 at the moment on Xbox Live Games on Demand. An absolute steal at that price and well worth a play if you haven't already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

DarkJager wrote: »
    €5 at the moment on Xbox Live Games on Demand. An absolute steal at that price and well worth a play if you haven't already.

+1, and the game is not at all what its title would lead you to believe it's like (well ok it is in ways), did they ever add co-op to it???? Would have loved to have played it co-op.

calex71 wrote: »
    +1, and the game is not at all what its title would lead you to believe it's like (well ok it is in ways), did they ever add co-op to it???? Would have loved to have played it co-op.

Jaysus, why on earth would you want Co-op in it?! Its a fantastic SP title.

Jaysus, why on earth would you want Co-op in it?! Its a fantastic SP title.

Someone else to cop whats going on earlier than you.

Plus as a shooter coop would work. But think it would miss the point.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Someone else to cop whats going on earlier than you.

Plus as a shooter coop would work. But think it would miss the point.

Well I played that game not for shooting, but for story. Co-op would completely destroy for what this game going.

• Advertisement

Well I played that game not for shooting, but for story. Co-op would completely destroy for what this game going.

you played it after knowing there was a story to it :)

As a shooter an me being a believer in everything should be coop. it would work as a coop game, your mate is one of the other lads :D

Advertisement