Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spec-Ops: The Line

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

dreamers75 wrote: »
    you played it after knowing there was a story to it :)

As a shooter an me being a believer in everything should be coop. it would work as a coop game, your mate is one of the other lads :D

I am really against puting co-op in to everything. There are games that should stay co-op only or SP only. Spec ops the line should never ever be Co-op shooter!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Jesus I forgot about this game!

Played through this twice back to back. Absolutely loved it. The setting, the characters and the music were excellent, the game had a great atmosphere.

It's a shame this game wasn't as well received at the time of launch. It actually sickens me that tripe like COD generates more hype, when all activision are doing is miliking that franchise for everything, and a game like Spec ops went about a completely different approach and tried to get the player emotionally involved in the story, something which I believe they achieved, and something which is very difficult to do in a shooter.

I don't think this game should be judge on it's flaws of being generic cover based shooter but more so on the story writing. At least the developers strayed from the copy and paste model of shooters and tried something different with this.

Must pick it up again!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Well I played that game not for shooting, but for story. Co-op would completely destroy for what this game going.

and did you not play Brothers for story too? Neither are the finest examples of their respective genre but the story elevates them to (near) greatness imo. Rain being another example of a stealth platformer whose story and aesthetics make if more than the sum of it's parts.
    I got it for a fiver and I think it was best fiver I ever spent... ( looking at you piece of **** "Tale of two brothers" I will never get that fiver back now... )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

This is on sale on Xbox live at the minute for €7:45.

sweetie wrote: »
    and did you not play Brothers for story too? Neither are the finest examples of their respective genre but the story elevates them to (near) greatness imo. Rain being another example of a stealth platformer whose story and aesthetics make if more than the sum of it's parts.

Tale of two brothers was and still is over hyped piece of **** in my books. If I could get that fiver back I would just buy spec op the line and gift it to someone instead. A waste of money.
    I still dont get what people are so excited in Tale of two Brothers. The parts where it was suppost to make me emotional were more annoying and stupid. At one stage I was like "wrap it up"... any time now, just "wrap it up"!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Just finished playing this. It felt really refreshing to play a military shooter that actually made an effort with the single player story. The ending was a bit strange though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm still torn on which game is a better satire of the male-gun-fantasy genre, this or Far Cry 3.

Spec Ops makes you do much more morally questionable things and screws with your mind a bit more, but Far Cry 3 has Vaas (one of the most frightening, human antagonists yet created IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm still torn on which game is a better satire of the male-gun-fantasy genre, this or Far Cry 3.

Spec Ops makes you do much more morally questionable things and screws with your mind a bit more, but Far Cry 3 has Vaas (one of the most frightening, human antagonists yet created IMO).

Far Cry takes the piss of it but it never really puts you in morally tricky positions.

I don't think you ever have to do anything that's particularly abhorrent.

Even Buck's missions, where they might've put you in an unsettling position, were straightforward.

They're both satire but I think Spec Ops has a more serious message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

I tempted to play this it's fair cheap heard loads about the story . Was it good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

brady12 wrote: »
    I tempted to play this it's fair cheap heard loads about the story . Was it good?
    Story, yes. Gameplay isn't great, but for sure seeing as its so cheap these days its worth the time and the money.

• Advertisement

brady12 wrote: »

Gameplay is okay, not inspiring, but still functional and good. Story and setting - well thats one of the best out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

Remember reading previews for this and being fair hyped.. Then reviews came out and I never played it.they put me off.. Yet I kept hearing great things about the story so rented it this week . Start of it the squad mates ai , unresponsive controls and average gameplay made me think it poor.. But I kept playing and for finish I was amazed.. Brilliant sound loved the setting and the story is one best iv ever played in a game. Brilliant . It's made realise it stupid let reviews dictate what I play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Resonator75

I tried my best to get into it after hearing all they fuss about the story. I got about an hour in and gave up, the shooter mechanics just sucked, wave attacks etc. Well they did not suck as such, just been there so many times. It did look and sound great though.
    I was kind disappointed after hearing such good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Stick with it Resonater. My initial impressions were the same. Even the shooting sections get a little bit better. But really, it's all about the story. Without that it would be a very mediocre game. Not bad, but not great either.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

One one hand it's a pretty generic cover shooter, on the other it's heavily inspired BT Heart of Darkness.

Put it down when the gameplay frustrates and come back later for the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Player 2

I agree completely.
    For the first hour or so I remember thinking it was horribly clunky and generic.

By the end, I'm not going to go anywhere near saying that I was "blown away"; but, I certainly was satisfied and felt like it had definitely been worth ploughing through it.

Not exactly a sterling endorsement; but to echo the above posters - Keep going!

I actually would even recomend playing it in bursts. It has such a lovely attention to details, like title screen changing all the time, when you log in to continue your game from other chapter. Adds even more to the feel and spirit for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I actually would even recomend playing it in bursts. It has such a lovely attention to details, like title screen changing all the time, when you log in to continue your game from other chapter. Adds even more to the feel and spirit for this game.

This. Playing in bursts is the way to go. I bought it on a steam sale a while back and i remember only being able to play for 40min in one sitting at most before i got fed up. Enjoyed it because of the Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now vibe from it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I never really understood the complaints about the gameplay in this one. I mean, I agree that it's nothing special but by that I just mean that it's pretty much the same as all of the cover-based shooters of the last 5 years or so, most of which were never taken to task for having bland and unoriginal shooting mechanics.

Advertisement