Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighborhoods in Dublin

Options
  • 21-05-2012 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'll be moving to Dublin this summer from Washington DC to attend a program at Trinity. I'm hoping I can find some help choosing a neighborhood.

I've been told several times that I should look south of the river. Is this something I should take very seriously, or is it more advice meant for people who haven't lived in a city before? I currently live in Northeast DC - a bit of a rough neighborhood in a large city. I also have spent a few years living in a developing area of Shanghai. I want to live where there are young people and plenty of dense, urban life, but I don't want to live somewhere that it so safe it's suburban (if anyone is familiar with the DC area, I don't want to live in say, the Arlington of Dublin, even though many newcomers to DC are told to live there).

Ideally, I'd like to live in an up-and-coming neighborhood within biking distance of Trinity that has a large population of young professionals.

I've been digging around on daft.ie and a few message boards and based on that am leaning towards Portobello and Stoneybatter - does that make sense at all?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Sounds about right. You can cast your net a bit wider than Portobello and include the South Circular Road and Rathmines as well. Likewise, Smithfield is next to Stoneybatter and is probably worth checking.

And yeah: if you know how to live in a city you'll be fine anywhere in central Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

lkono wrote: »
    I'll be moving to Dublin this summer from Washington DC to attend a program at Trinity. I'm hoping I can find some help choosing a neighborhood.

I've been told several times that I should look south of the river. Is this something I should take very seriously, or is it more advice meant for people who haven't lived in a city before? I currently live in Northeast DC - a bit of a rough neighborhood in a large city. I also have spent a few years living in a developing area of Shanghai. I want to live where there are young people and plenty of dense, urban life, but I don't want to live somewhere that it so safe it's suburban (if anyone is familiar with the DC area, I don't want to live in say, the Arlington of Dublin, even though many newcomers to DC are told to live there).

Ideally, I'd like to live in an up-and-coming neighborhood within biking distance of Trinity that has a large population of young professionals.

I've been digging around on daft.ie and a few message boards and based on that am leaning towards Portobello and Stoneybatter - does that make sense at all?

Smithfield might work for you too. Rathmines has a large student population also.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

I'm not very familiar with Stoneybatter, but Portobello is fab, loved it there when I lived in Dublin. Some great pubs along the canal. Or Rathmines/Ranelagh, although could be a little dearer and maybe not as urban? Fairview and Clontarf are nice too, and Smithfield. Best of luck wherever you end up anyway, I'm sure you'll have a ball!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Stoneybatter is the way to go.
    it has a great village vibe and is walkable to trinty

• Registered Users Posts: 33 redcortina

If you have lived in DC before, Dublin will be no trouble for you at all. But I would suggest as above, Rathmines, Ranelagh area, Its very nice with reasonable student prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

Everything in Dublin 1 and 2 is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Ranelagh and Rathmines for students, young people, night life, neighbourhood atmosphere. I just moved here and it is brilliant.
    Ranelagh is a 6 minute tram ride to the centre of town, where TCD is (My alma mater as you guys say) Also my son rides to a school near TCD in 8 minutes he tells me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

They're called neighbourhoods round these here parts :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Keep away from the west of Dublin. The northside of Dublin is grand along the dart (train) line apart from Kilbarrack. The South-East side of Dublin is where you wanna be. Ballyogan is the only place in South-East dublin you should avoid and thats a small area. 2 minutes down the road from the place in any direction is grand.

The Dart line and the N11 road are in general the best and safest places in Dublin to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Dublin is small and very mixed, so that there can be a council estate down one street and very expensive houses in the next.

Here's a map of Dublin's postal districts. Mostly even numbers are southside, and odd numbers are northside. Dublin 2, 4, 6, 8 are mostly fine (with little pockets of less ok), 1, 3, 7, have maybe larger pockets of less-okayness. Generally you'll know them when you see them!

Stay in a hostel/hotel for the first week or so till you find your feet. Any of those postal areas will have you in TCD by bike in 20mins or less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 kingofkong

OP I'd recommend Sandymount, its right on the coast which is nice, has rapid rail access to TCD or you can walk it in about 20-30 minutes, very safe

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

I go to TCD and have lived in Rathmines and Pearse St. Pearse St is very close to college, i.e in the city centre, but there's not much going on there. Rathmines is further out but there's a better scene. Ranelagh is a good shout and is quite close to campus, although a lot of students will have moved home for the summer.
    Personally, I'd try and get something in the heart of the city, off Grafton St preferably. I have friends living on South William St which is a really nice area with lots of amenities and you could probably get some kind of summer sublease.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Any of these would suit: Rathmines, Ranelagh, Portabello, Ringsend, Drumcondra, Stoneybatter, Smithfield and even Glasnevin (the city centre side preferably). It's not necessary to stay North of the river but the areas directly beside the city centre are nicer on the South side. If you can get somewhere in city centre; Camden Street area is great and Pearse Street is very central. I would avoid Gardiner Street and Mountjoy Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Adhamh

Relax OP, some people act as if the North or West sides of Dublin are like downtown Caracas. I understand what sort of place you're looking for- most of the above posters don't seem to.

One thing about Dublin is that although it's well over a million people, it's very dispersed. Hence it can be a pain getting around and is mostly kinda dull. Ranelagh is little more than a single built up street. Stay between the canals, that's where the action is. It's true that a lot of students live in Rathmines but there's noting really there and it's not very built up or lively compared to somewhere more like Smithfiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lkono

Thank you all so much for these responses! I'm excited to start shifting through them this evening.

As someone mentioned, I'm planning on arriving a bit early. I've budgeted for about two weeks in a hostel, and will be arriving around July 18th hoping to find somewhere with an August 1st lease. That seemed reasonable to me.

I'm just so grateful to hear all of the suggestions. Everyone has been telling me Rathmines/Ranelagh, which I'm sure are great, but I knew they couldn't be the only options!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Adhamh wrote: »
    One thing about Dublin is that although it's well over a million people, it's very dispersed. Hence it can be a pain getting around and is mostly kinda dull.

Between the canals (and a bit outside them, like Rathmines/Ranelagh) is compact enough. I rarely find myself in the suburbs.
    Ranelagh is little more than a single built up street.

A long street of cafes and restaurants and more cafes.... :D
    It's true that a lot of students live in Rathmines but there's noting really there and it's not very built up or lively compared to somewhere more like Smithfiled.
    :eek: There are a lot of young people living there, not just students and there are a lot of amenities: pubs, clubs, restaurants, public swimming pool & gym, library, shopping centre...AND it's a leafy area with lots of parks, so very pleasant looking surroundings. Smithfield on the other hand is a rough enough area.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Thank you all so much for these responses! I'm excited to start shifting through them this evening.

As someone mentioned, I'm planning on arriving a bit early. I've budgeted for about two weeks in a hostel, and will be arriving around July 18th hoping to find somewhere with an August 1st lease. That seemed reasonable to me.

I'm just so grateful to hear all of the suggestions. Everyone has been telling me Rathmines/Ranelagh, which I'm sure are great, but I knew they couldn't be the only options!

How much of a budget are you looking at spending per month?

Rent in all these area's can differ greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lkono

CucaFace wrote: »
    How much of a budget are you looking at spending per month?

Rent in all these area's can differ greatly.

Of course the cheaper the better! I'd like to stay below €700/month, and it seems like that could work out based on my daft.ie searches (for preferably a one bedroom, although a well-appointed studio would be fine as well). That would still be significantly cheaper than a DC rental, though, so I'm willing to have some flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

Of course the cheaper the better! I'd like to stay below €700/month, and it seems like that could work out based on my daft.ie searches (for preferably a one bedroom, although a well-appointed studio would be fine as well). That would still be significantly cheaper than a DC rental, though, so I'm willing to have some flexibility.

If you're willing to sublet in a 3+ bedroom apartment, you'll get a really nice place for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

cambo2008 wrote: »
    They're called neighbourhoods round these here parts :cool:
    We acknowledge differences in spelling around here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

garancafan wrote: »
    We acknowledge differences in spelling around here.
    Untwist your knickers it was in good humor...........eh!!......see what I did there? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Buy a 50cc scooter when you get here and get your license, tax and insurance sorted
    It's not that much and just perfect for a student

Brilliant for getting around

And come over to the American football forum
    Nobody supports the Redskins because they are ****e
    Would be good to get a fan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Rhand wrote: »
    Everything in Dublin 1 and 2 is fine.
    I wouldn't go that far!

<Ranelagh>A long street of cafes and restaurants and more cafes.... :D

This is simply not true. I moved here last month and the main street is a wonderful selection of wine bars, several excellent pubs, coffee shops, shopping, dentists and doctors and a couple of nice parks within a short walk. It is a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

Rathmines is similar but louder and more commercial, but also with a great and eclectic mix.
    :eek: <Rathmines> There are a lot of young people living there, not just students and there are a lot of amenities: pubs, clubs, restaurants, public swimming pool & gym, library, shopping centre

I agree. Both Ranelagh and Rathmines are major young people areas, and not just students.
    ...AND it's a leafy area with lots of parks, so very pleasant looking surroundings. Smithfield on the other hand is a rough enough area.

I really wouldn't call Rathmines a leafy area. A bit rougher round the edges than Ranelagh (NOT crime wise).

I would give the edge to Ranelagh because of the LUAS tram line and it's less commercial and more relaxed atmosphere myself. More of a village kind of place.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Buy a 50cc scooter when you get here and get your license, tax and insurance sorted
    It's not that much and just perfect for a student

Brilliant for getting around

The guy presumably wants to live to get home and see his family again !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Keep away from the west of Dublin. The northside of Dublin is grand along the dart (train) line apart from Kilbarrack. The South-East side of Dublin is where you wanna be. Ballyogan is the only place in South-East dublin you should avoid and thats a small area. 2 minutes down the road from the place in any direction is grand.

The Dart line and the N11 road are in general the best and safest places in Dublin to live.

Richard, next toim oi' see you round deez parts oim gona knock yer bleedin' head off ye BLEEEEEDIN' plank yeh!

Seriously though, you sound like a right Hillman (trust me, it will catch on if you continue to make posts like that ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Piliger wrote: »
    The guy presumably wants to live to get home and see his family again !

You have a helmet and gear, no more dangerous then cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

90% sound advice on this thread for you. If you've lived in a rougher section of DC then 90% of Dublin will be like a giant puppy dog to you.

dsmythy wrote: »
    90% sound advice on this thread for you. If you've lived in a rougher section of DC then 90% of Dublin will be like a giant puppy dog to you.

Indeed. Add to that no guns (infinitesimal compared to the USA) and completely unarmed police :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Phibsboro might also be worth a look. Easy cycle to Trinity, loads of busses, loads of pubs and best of all Bohemians Football Club situated right in the heart of it

Advertisement