Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighborhoods in Dublin

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    The OP is clearly looking for an URBAN lifestyle, he wants to be in the thick of it (yes, even if there are a few "rough people" around the place - oh dear!)

So Ranelagh and Rathmines are nice but OUT because that is boring suburbia compared to places like Smithfield, the Liberties etc.
    ?

Rathmines is a few minutes walk to Camden St/Wexford St, the best area to go out in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭donaghs

CiaranC wrote: »
    The OP is a citizen of Washington DC, and consequently is not afraid of his own shadow or a few shuffling tracksuited zombies. I think he'll be ok.

On the other hand, why bother putting up with that sort of crap when you can live in a nicer area? even closer to the south side of town.

Unless rent is far cheaper of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Poster Boy wrote: »
    Funny you should mention JP Donleavy - only recently he and others wrote into the city council, looking for Mountjoy Square to be properly preserved:
    http://www.archiseek.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7459#p108191

With due respect, I think this is a sweeping statement - tarring communities because they are living in social housing, while also ignoring regeneration successes such as Killarney Court and James Joyce Street. In any event, as it happens, the IFSC is also surrounded by social and working class housing at Sherrif Street area and the East Wall on the northside - and Moss and Lombard Street areas on the southside, not that this should matter.

OP, as with any city centre, you have to take some degree of care - if you wish for a really quiet area, you may prefer to locate in one of the suburbs. One tip of advice is to avoid places where there is a drugs clinic present as these regrettably tend to be associated anti social behaviour - Butt Bridge and Tara Street area are particularly afflicted.

Sweeping statements are unfortunate, I agree, I don't think the poster intended that. I fully agree with you, as does the other poster, that the square itself is lovely and has huge potential. However, the OP is looking for somewhere to live now and Mountjoy Square doesn't fit that bill at all. It may do in 5 to 10 years if some of the surrounding areas are cleaned up to the same extent that they have been over the last 10 years.

Having spent some part of my youth in the general vicinity of Mountjoy Square and it's adjoining areas, I wouldn't recommend it to someone moving to the city that has other options in more relaxed and enjoyable areas. You'd need your wits about you at all times walking to and from the area and that doesn't make for the greatest living experience.

Also, there are little or no decent shops within a 15 minute walk of Mountjoy Square either unless you want to do your weekly shop in a Londis or local newsagent which will cost a fortune. Aldi on Parnell Street is the closest supermarket I can think of, there's a Tesco in Drumcondra too.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sticksman

I live in Kilmainham myself and would recommend it highly. Yes you see the odd junkie around the Inchicore side of it but other than that it's grand. The Luas line is nearby and there are a number of bus routes heading towards town. Also, you are close to the Memorial Gardens and the Phoenix Park which is great in the rare good weather or just to go for a walk. Trinity College is 15 minutes cycle roughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Dublin Cycling Campaign... on facebook and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Draupnir wrote: »
    Having spent some part of my youth in the general vicinity of Mountjoy Square and it's adjoining areas, I wouldn't recommend it to someone moving to the city that has other options in more relaxed and enjoyable areas. You'd need your wits about you at all times walking to and from the area and that doesn't make for the greatest living experience.

Also, there are little or no decent shops within a 15 minute walk of Mountjoy Square either unless you want to do your weekly shop in a Londis or local newsagent which will cost a fortune. Aldi on Parnell Street is the closest supermarket I can think of, there's a Tesco in Drumcondra too.

You need to keep your wits about you anywhere in the city.

Within 15 minutes of Mountjoy Square you could choose to shop in Tesco - Parnell street, Lidl - Moore street, Aldi - Parnell street, Dunnes Stores in the ILAC, Marks and Sparks on Henry street, Moore street itself, Parnell street itself (both fantastic for obscure 'ethnic' foodstuffs theses days), or make your way up to the fruit and veg market. It's possibly one of the best shopping locations in the country (as long as you cast your eye further that suburban shopping malls). Slow walker? Lazy? Then grab a Dublin Bike from the rank on the square and zip to the shops in double time - making use of the basket.

There's some grief comes from living in the N.I. City for sure, but it's generally no more dangerous than anywhere else, and commuting between Mountjoy square and Trinity is nothing for anyone to fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lkono

Since starting this thread, I've arrived in Dublin and have been looking at apartments over the past few days. I believe I've narrowed it down to three. Do you guys have any thoughts on the following? All are similarly priced.

A. Ushers Quay
    -Adorable Landlord. Super helpful, nice guy.
    -Good layout, large. Separate dining, kitchen, living, bath and bed
    -3 windows (one in dining, one in living and one in bedroom), South facing
    -1st floor
    -Balcony overlooking courtyard
    -Rooftop garden
    -Along river

B. Francis St/The Coombe
    -New building, everything is shiny
    -1st floor
    -Bike parking in the basement
    -new furniture, nice appliances
    -Sweet landlord couple
    -Two windows, living room and bedroom (Southeast facing)
    -More of a yuppie building

C. South Richmond St/Harcourt Rd.
    -Great neighborhood atmosphere
    -Older building, older furniture
    -3rd floor walkup
    -balcony overlooking South Richmond St.
    -two windows (bedroom/living room), but on opposite ends - one east
    facing one west facing
    -has separate dryer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd go with C, South Richmond St/Harcourt Rd.
    Great location between Rathmines and the City Centre, with plenty of amenities right on your doorstep too.
    You have the canal and iveagh gardens for chilling beside, plenty of shops and cafes, camden street is the walk to town which is full of shops, bars, off licences (well, 1 good one I know of!)
    You probably have your own bike, but this is worth checking out: http://www.dublinbikes.ie/, and after a quick google is the same as Capital Bike Share

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

richmond st 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Usher's Quay would be my least favoured - it's a bit dead around there, and the Francis Street place would offer similar convenience with more of a buzz and activity around you. Both are within shouting distance of methadone clinic punters, but that's not to write them off - you should just be aware. Richmond street would probably be the safe option of the three, and has the best public transport links, but traffic's a bit heavy and constant around those parts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

CiaranC wrote: »
    ?

Rathmines is a few minutes walk to Camden St/Wexford St, the best area to go out in the city.

Seconded.

dRNk SAnTA, if you think Rathmines is the suburbs, you need your head, and feet, checked. Takes about as long to walk to Smithfield from Grafton Street as it would to walk to Rathmines. Also has Luas. And nightlinks (ASAIK).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

Cienciano wrote: »

Sh1te, I thought this was a link for durty young wans in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

alastair wrote: »
    Usher's Quay would be my least favoured - it's a bit dead around there, and the Francis Street place would offer similar convenience with more of a buzz and activity around you. Both are within shouting distance of methadone clinic punters, but that's not to write them off - you should just be aware. Richmond street would probably be the safe option of the three, and has the best public transport links, but traffic's a bit heavy and constant around those parts.

I live on Ushers Quay (Mellowes Quay apartments) for the past 3 years so I'm biased, but I think it's a really nice place. Trinity, George's St, Henry St, Jervis, Phoenix Park, Temple Bar, Camden St, Stoneybatter and Heuston Station all within 15 minutes walk. Smithfield and the luas just across the river. Great bars very close by on the north quays. Lidl, Tesco, Centra and Spar 5-10 minutes away on Thomas St, along with any number of nice bakeries, cafes and butchers. 24 hour shop at the petrol station downstairs beside a top class fish and chip shop (The Fryery)

I've never had anyone even look at me funny walking home from a night out in the early hours of the morning, nor have I even been aware that there's a methadone clinic nearby. I wouldn't say it's dead, but it's certainly quiet. No Bayno spitting out customers after the Karaoke (Francis St), or all the gang walking to Zaytoon after Harcourt/Camden St closes (Richmond).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Richmond St would be my choice,but I'm biased living nearby I moved from NYC to Pleasant St 12 years ago and love the area of town, plenty of local good value restaurants most independently owned, cafes, and some great bars, butchers, green grocers, ethnic food stores etc. definitely more liveable than the other two options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I’m a proud Northsider but would still recommend Rathmines / Ranelagh / Donnybrook.

Very nice spots, and handy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭penana

Just one little suggestion: before choosing any 2nd, 3rd or higher floor apartment without lift access, visit it once more, bringing along about a week's worth of groceries. Then, carry them up the stairs before deciding whether or not to sign that lease. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

penana wrote: »
    Just one little suggestion: before choosing any 2nd, 3rd or higher floor apartment without lift access, visit it once more, bringing along about a week's worth of groceries. Then, carry them up the stairs before deciding whether or not to sign that lease. Seriously.

You could order your stuff online and get it delivered to your door as well ;)

Advertisement