Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade Black Pudding Recipe?

Options
  • 21-05-2012 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Just had a delivery of dried pig's blood today, and plan on making 'paleo' black pudding, ie. no grains, for health reasons. Would anyone know of a recipe for black pudding. A typical Irish style flavour. Even if it has grains, I can just omit them or find a substitute.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

You can try this one, made it few years ago,

4 pints fresh blood
    1 tbsp salt
    ½ ld oatmeal
    2 tsp pepper
    1 tsp allspice
    ½ ld chopped suet
    2 onions chopped
    Fresh chopped herbs, thyme, parsley, or what ever ones you like

Add salt, meal and spices to blood and leave to stand over night,
    Then add suet, onions and herbs,
    Mix well, now you can shape using wax paper, and tinfoil, or just grease pudding bowls, ( if not thick enough add some bread crumbs)
    Steam for 1 ½ hours.

Worth giving it a try,
    Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ukonline

sdp wrote: »
    You can try this one, made it few years ago,

4 pints fresh blood
    1 tbsp salt
    ½ ld oatmeal
    2 tsp pepper
    1 tsp allspice
    ½ ld chopped suet
    2 onions chopped
    Fresh chopped herbs, thyme, parsley, or what ever ones you like

Add salt, meal and spices to blood and leave to stand over night,
    Then add suet, onions and herbs,
    Mix well, now you can shape using wax paper, and tinfoil, or just grease pudding bowls, ( if not thick enough add some bread crumbs)
    Steam for 1 ½ hours.

Worth giving it a try,
    Good luck :)

Thanks. I'll give it a go today.

What does ld mean, as in "1/2 ld chopped suet"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I'd hazard a guess that it's a typo, meant to be 1/2 lb maybe?

I'd hazard a guess that it's a typo, meant to be 1/2 lb maybe?

Sounds about right.

Turns out that it doesn't matter. The 2 'ld' ingredients are grain or contain grain. Just found out that suet is 40% flour, so as I'm making a grain free pudding, the suet and oats will be left out so I don't need to worry about what 'ld' means.

I'll make a small batch and see what happens. If the grain is necessary to 'bind' the whole mix, I'll try some ground almonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ukonline wrote: »
    Just found out that suet is 40% flour, so as I'm making a grain free pudding, the suet and oats will be left out so I don't need to worry about what 'ld' means.
    Not really ... commercially available dried suet (Atora etc.) is mixed with flour to keep it nice and stable at room temperatures, but 'proper' beef suet is really just a big lump of fat, specifically the fat that surrounds the kidneys, and would be what you'd want for black pudding anyway I'd imagine.

In any case, most Atora suet available in the supermarkets isn't suet at all, but some 'lite' abomination made from hardened vegetable oils. They do do a version actually made from fat, but it's getting increasingly difficult to find.

Go and talk to your butcher, as he'll probably be able to get you some in if he doesn't have some already.

• Advertisement

I don't know anything about making black pudding, but leaving out a pound of the ingredients seems like there'll be nothing left to make it solid and bound together...looking at the list of what else is there is mostly just flavourings and the blood. Don't see how it could solidify really.

Thanks.

I know nothing about suet other than using it from a box to make dumplings on very rare occasions.

Down to the butchers so.

Well, I've got 10KG of dried blood so will just have to experiment and make small batches with real suet, hopefully. I think ground almonds will help to bind it all together if required.

Good luck! :)

There are a gazillion different recipes for black pudding all over the world, and they all use different 'fillers'. The Wikipedia page gives a bit of an overview, but some varieties use potatoes and or onions for example ... might be worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Yep, I've definitely had German black pudding that didn't seem to have the grain that Irish pudding does

Google blutwurst and you'll find a few
    http://www.foodgeeks.com/recipes/german-blood-sausage-blutwurst-20326

• Advertisement

Yep, I've definitely had German black pudding that didn't seem to have the grain that Irish pudding does
    English black pudding, at least the stuff I'm most used to from home, doesn't have much either, it's much softer too and has big lumps of white fat in it. Have to say I prefer it over the Irish version to be honest :)

sorry, yep half pound. :) and the suet is fresh from butcher, puddings need some fat in it, but you could also try bacon or pork scraps if you can't get suet, sure play around with it, and let us know how you get on, best of luck :)

sorry, yep half pound. :) and the suet is fresh from butcher, puddings need some fat in it, but you could also try bacon or pork scraps if you can't get suet, sure play around with it, and let us know how you get on, best of luck :)
    Yes, basically the only thing that ties together all the various recipes for 'blood sausages' around the world is that they contain blood, everything else is optional really.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, will post how I get on, for sure.

-

Hello again,

Made the first batch with no filler and the second batch
    added some ground almonds.

Went to the butcher for the suet, and one of the guys was
    a black pudding expert. He said he prefers to use dried blood
    and just cooks it all in the pan, so I tried that.

First batch fell apart. I just sweated onions and spices in a
    frying pan and added the dried pig's blood and enough water
    to bring it all together. Fed it into casing the butcher was kind
    enough to give me, and placed in hot water for a while. But
    when cutting the finished pudding, it fell apart.

The flavour was great just using the first recipe posted above
    by SDP, thanks again.

The second batch, I mixed 250gm of the dried blood with a litre
    of half water/half coconut milk first and then added that to the
    sweated onion & spices. (There's a YouTube vid I got the idea
    from). Added the grnd almonds, then cooked the mixture until
    it became solid enough to shape into a sausage and wrapped
    in clingfilm. Then immersed in hot, not boiling, water for 30 mins.

It held together much better as you can see in the 2nd pic. It's
    very delicate. Almost like a wet sandcastle, maybe needs more
    almond flour or something.

Will try and tweak the consistency.

well done,! they look great,:) let us know how you do, when you have it tweaked i'd love to give yours a go if you don't mind posting it, :)

well done,! they look great,:) let us know how you do, when you have it tweaked i'd love to give yours a go if you don't mind posting it, :)

Thanks. Yes, will post any improvement.

I just made another small batch and the flavour is great, consistency slightly better
    but still a little too crumbly. Will try adding beaten egg to the cooled mixture, before
    the simmer stage, next batch. That might hold it all together better. :)

In the meantime, here's that video I mentioned:

-

-

I did add a dash of curry powder to the last batch and it makes a subtle improvement
    over just the allspice. Left out the apple, herb and polenta from the video version,
    though. Might try adding those to later batches, bar the polenta as I'm trying to
    avoid grains.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

Could you replace the grain with powdered potato?? it should thicken it.

I have only made pudding with liquid blood, 1st batch blood congealed & they all burst when cooking, 2nd time blood was stirred by butcher, & I was really carefull with cooking them, turned out really good, just have to play with spices now.

A

Askim wrote: »
    Could you replace the grain with powdered potato?? it should thicken it.

I have only made pudding with liquid blood, 1st batch blood congealed & they all burst when cooking, 2nd time blood was stirred by butcher, & I was really carefull with cooking them, turned out really good, just have to play with spices now.

A

-

Thanks for the suggestion, Askim, but I'm trying to avoid potatoes as they
    don't seem to agree with me. (Though I still can't resist some roasties on a Sunday
    or the odd portion of fries.) :)

I'm going to try the beaten egg, next time.

-

-

Thanks for the suggestion, Askim, but I'm trying to avoid potatoes as they
    don't seem to agree with me. (Though I still can't resist some roasties on a Sunday
    or the od:pac:d portion of fries.) :)

I'm going to try the beaten egg, next time.

-

Thought it was just grains you were avoiding, is it all grain including rice millet etc

there has to be another sub for grains, I'll have another think & ask around

Also I wouldn't use beef fat, just small cubes of pork back fat.

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

OP, can you have chickpea flour ? That could help with the thickening/binding.
    In France they sometimes add apples to the black pud.

OP, can you have chickpea flour ? That could help with the thickening/binding.
    In France they sometimes add apples to the black pud.

-

Thanks for the tip, but chickpea is not Paleo. Apologies, it's not just grains
    I'm avoiding. :(

In the meantime, I'm experimenting with beaten egg in one small batch
    and beef gelatin in another.

Will see how things look in the morning as both are in the fridge overnight.

I've put minced pork fat in both along with allspice, salt, onion and fresh thyme.

-

Thanks for the tip, but chickpea is not Paleo.
    :confused: They're not what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Alun wrote: »
    :confused: They're not what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet, make of it what you will.

-

Thanks for the tip, but chickpea is not Paleo. Apologies, it's not just grains
    I'm avoiding. :(

In the meantime, I'm experimenting with beaten egg in one small batch
    and beef gelatin in another.

Will see how things look in the morning as both are in the fridge overnight.

I've put minced pork fat in both along with allspice, salt, onion and fresh thyme.

-

Well, how did they go, I would think gelatin one would be better cold, might melt if reheated

A

Askim wrote: »
    Well, how did they go, I would think gelatin one would be better cold, might melt if reheated

A

-

Yes, the gelatin sample melted in the pan, :D

The other half of that batch, I mixed in 2 beaten eggs and baked in the
    oven in a small loaf tin, and it came out well bound together, like a black
    pudding cake. (Didn't have time to wrap and simmer it). A little dry, though.

I'll try the mixture w/egg in a casing immersed in simmering water, next time.

-

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

If you need help thickening with paleo, try arrowroot flour or tapioca flour, or seaweed instead of gelatin.

If you get a 100% paleo recipe, stick it up - We've been using Hodges gluten free black pudding as a near-paleo fried treat, but I'd love to make my own.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    If you need help thickening with paleo, try arrowroot flour or tapioca flour, or seaweed instead of gelatin.

If you get a 100% paleo recipe, stick it up - We've been using Hodges gluten free black pudding as a near-paleo fried treat, but I'd love to make my own.

-

Thanks, will do. I'll be making another batch next week just using the basic
    recipe posted early in the thread but using dried pig's blood, no grains and
    with the addition of eggs to bind it all together. Then simmer in casing until firm.

I have arrowroot in case it needs thickening.

-

Advertisement