Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Account / Customer Management Training - IT Role

Options
  • 21-05-2012 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭

[I think this is probably the best forum to post this request, if not, please feel free to move it mods.]

I work in a pre-sales / implementation role in a small Irish IT company that exports heavily to the UK. As I'm the person that can answer the techie questions in the pre-sales process and often the guy "on the ground" with the clients during an implementation, I tend to have a good relationship with our clients and management here think it'd be a good idea for me to take ownership of a number of these accounts. There'll be a reasonable degree of autonomy in my dealings with these customers.

Working in pre-sales I have some exposure to the sales process and I'd be reasonably commercially aware but have never had a direct involvement in sales negotiations or account management in general. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a decent training course for this kind of role?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Have you asked yourself if the clients deals with you OR with the company !?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at: I'll be the client's point of contact with the company... so both...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I understood that you want to leave the company and take the clients with you !

If you want to remain with the company but promote yourself...beside the internal politics that exists in any office environment,i will be quite open and get an appointment to my next superior manager or supervisor and explain what are my this year or next year ambitions,plans and wishes !
    They will be able to guide you in the best interest of the company and then possible,of yourself !

If you want to prepare for yourself,then not sure what can i say !!
    Start by doing marketing,supervisor course,check online courses based where you live !
    Check these courses: Project Management (Prince,PMP,ITIL,JPACE)
    Also,the company may use propietary Accounts/CRM systems.
    Get yourself familliar with them !
    In sales,there is a lot of soft skills that comes with experience ,supported by doing courses ,but also there is a lot of "bs sales" craic ... :)

Also,get yourself recognised in the new position by all other staff,horisontal at least AND get support from management !!! Otherwise,wasting your time...

Good luck !

Advertisement