Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering in UCD

Options
  • 21-05-2012 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I am currently living in Canada, working as a union carpenter with decent pay and benefits.
    It has been my intention for some time now to return to Ireland and study engineering in UCD, the 3year -BSc (Engineering Science) and as I am applying as a mature student student without the required Maths grade, I have to apply for the 1 year Access course starting in September 2012.
    I am aware that class time for this Access course is only 9 hrs a week and I am considering trying to stay working here in Canada for that extra year as I know it will be quite hard to pick up employment at home.

Does anybody know of any course that would hold the same credits as the Access course that could be taken online or through ´The Open University´ , University of Reading etc while I am still in Canada?

Has anybody been in a similar situation before could offer any tips or advice?

I have contacted Ucd with this suggestion and could not get a definite answer unfortunately with one office referring me to another etc.

I am also looking at the possibility of completing the entire degree program through distance learning?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated in this.
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

I asked for this to be moved to UCD [EDU - UCD] where that University has a forum.

Thomond Coogan is the Access Coordinator in UCD

You can email her thomond.coogan [at] ucd.ie or phone +353 1 716 7584

There is no distance learning from what I know of Access to Science but when completing your CAO and supplementary application you can make a note of other courses you attended either in Canada or here.

They take it all into account so not having the Access to Science in UCD isn't a bar to gaining entry to the degree programme.

You might also contact the person in charge at the relevant programme office, they can usually advise as to what their committees look for in applicants etc.

Best of luck with your studies.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from Helpdesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Here is a discussion of some past students on Access to Science.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72429895

Advertisement