Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completed level 6... now level 7?

Options
  • 21-05-2012 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me out. I don't really understand the whole college framework thing.

I have completed a level 6 higher certificate in business studies. This was last year. Then I left college (due to personal reasons) and didn't go on to the level 7. The college was also about 1 hour away from me.

Now I want to go back to college and do my level 7. Do I have to start at the bottom again? Or can I just apply to a college and do the level 7? I DON'T want to go back to the same college.

Im a mature student so I won't be getting any grants and I will have to pay for this myself. I know the CAO is finished but is it possible to just pay now and go in September? Thanks

I would be continuing with Business Studies I won't be changing courses (although I would love to do computers but i dont think I can transfer that cert over :( )
    Also I would want to continue on with business studies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭who what when

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me out. I don't really understand the whole college framework thing.

I have completed a level 6 higher certificate in business studies. This was last year. Then I left college (due to personal reasons) and didn't go on to the level 7. The college was also about 1 hour away from me.

Now I want to go back to college and do my level 7. Do I have to start at the bottom again? Or can I just apply to a college and do the level 7?

Im a mature student so I won't be getting any grants and I will have to pay for this myself. I know the CAO is finished but is it possible to just pay now and go in September? Thanks

No you don't have to start at the beginning.

You do realise that even mature students are entitled to grants and other financial assistance don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 elvislives1

No you don't have to start at the beginning.

You do realise that even mature students are entitled to grants and other financial assistance don't you?

Thanks for the reply.

Do I just ring a college and ask them to take me or through the CAO? If its the CAO I will have to wait until 2013 :(

Yes I do know that but when I left college, I left after OCT 31st (Nov 3rd) so my fee was paid by the grant. So I think there is a 3 year exclusion period. :(

But that was my own fault due to reasons beyond my control so I have saved about €4000 so Im planning on using this to pay for my level 7... I'll worry about 8 again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Berdetta

Contact the College. They might take you direct without having to go through the CAO. I'm the same just after finishing Advanced Business level 6. Providing that I get a good result, I can enter 2nd year GMIT in September. When I receive my results I'll photocopy them & drop copy to their Admissions Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You aren't starting at the bottom so ring the college and see if you can get advanced entry into the level 7. Also you may be eligible for funding support.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 elvislives1

paperclip2 wrote: »
    You aren't starting at the bottom so ring the college and see if you can get advanced entry into the level 7. Also you may be eligible for funding support.
    :)

Thanks everyone for the help :D I will ring some colleges tomorrow and check them out.

@paperclip, do you know what type of funding i could be entitled to? like a grant? or a type of funding from a college?

Thanks a million :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Thanks everyone for the help :D I will ring some colleges tomorrow and check them out.

@paperclip, do you know what type of funding i could be entitled to? like a grant? or a type of funding from a college?

Thanks a million :D

No bother :)

Re the funding the two main types are the Back to Education Allowance from Social Welfare or the Grant from the Dept of Education.

For both you need to be progressing in your course. So if you are moving from a level 6 to a level 7 then that would be progression.

For the BTEA you need to be aged 21 or older and getting a social welfare payment for at least 9 months before re-entering the course. DSP websitehttp://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/BackToEducation/Pages/ThirdLevelOption.aspx

For the Grant there a number of criteria. also if you are eligible for BTEA you cant get the maintenance grant, only the fee grant: Have a look at this and come back if you have any questions:
    Grants for Education 2012

From Sept 2012 a new agency, Student Universal Support Ireland will take over the awarding of all new grants. Application to SUSI is online from www.studentfinance.ie and will be open in May 2012.
    You can contact SUSI on 0761 08 7874 or email them at support@susi.cdvec.ie

Reckonable Income limits for the Maintenance & Fee Grants 2012.

Types of Grant: Grants can cover fulltime third level and FETAC 5/6 courses.

Maintenance grants are payments to students to cover the costs of participating in education. From September 2012 they will be made on a pro-rata monthly basis directly into a students bank account.

Fee grants are a once-off payment of €2,500 (from Sept 2012) paid on behalf of an eligible student directly to the college to cover the student registration charge. Fee grants can, in some cases cover other charges associated with education at the discretion of SUSI.

Family income limits
    The means test for a maintenance or fee grant in 2012/2013 is based on your family's income for the previous full tax year (2011). The income limits for a maintenance grant are set out below.

Number of Dependent Children Full Maintenance Part Maintenance (75%) Part Maintenance (50%) Part Maintenance (25%) Exempt from student contribution *Exempt from 50% student contribution
    Less than 4 €41,110 €42,235 €44,720 €47,205 €51,380 €55,920
    4 to 7 €45,165 €46,415 €49,145 €51,880 €56,460 €61,440
    8 or more €49,045 €50,400 €53,360 €56,320 €61,295 €66,700
    * Full student contribution is paid where income is at or below this level.

Other family members in college: The income limits are increased if more than one family member is in college. See www.studentfinance.ie for more details.

Application Process: Students will apply online to SUSI giving details of their circumstances. SUSI will make an initial assessment of eligibility and will contact the student for documentation to support their claim.

Documentation required for the grant can include:
    • Birth Cert.
    • Residency & Proof of Address.
    • DSP (Social Welfare) or HSE cert of income for the previous tax year.
    • P60, P45, P21 PAYE Balancing Statement.
    • Pension entitlement info
    • Income from employment including self –employment
    • Details of pension or redundancy lump sums.
    • Gifts, Inheritances, Income from Land or other property.
    • Any other source of income

Rates of Grant
    Non-Adjacent Rate Adjacent Rate
    Full Maintenance €3,025 €1,215
    Part Maintenance (75%) €2,270 €940
    Part Maintenance (50%) €1,515 €605
    Part Maintenance (25%) €755 €315

The non adjacent rate is only paid to students whose chosen course is more than 45km from their normal residence. This applies to all students including mature students.

Special Rate of Maintenance Grant
    Disadvantaged students who meet a number of conditions can qualify for special rates of the maintenance grant.
    Special Rate of Grant Total Grant
    Non-Adjacent €5,915
    Adjacent €2,377

In order to be eligible for these ‘top-up’ rates, your reckonable income must be at or below a certain limit, (in 2011 the limit was €22,703), and must also include at least one of a range of social welfare payments including Jobseekers Allowance, Jobseekers Benefit and One-Parent Family Payment. Disability payments may also be included.

Advertisement