Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

60 years ago, women knew their place

• 21-05-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I came across this hilarious article purportedly from 'Houskeeping Monthly' in 1955 on how to be the perfect wife:

http://j-walk.com/other/goodwife/images/goodwifeguide.gif

• Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have be thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they get home and the prospect of a good meal is part of the warm welcome needed.
    • Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.
    • Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.
    • Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives. Run a dustcloth over the tables.
    • During the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering to his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.
    • Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Encourage the children to be quiet.
    • Be happy to see him.
    • Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.
    • Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first - remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.
    • Don't greet him with complaints and problems.
    • Don't complain if he's late for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through at work.
    • Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or lie him down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.
    • Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.
    • Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.
    • A good wife always knows her place.

Crazy stuff!

Now, there's nothing at all wrong with a woman choosing to work at home should she choose to do so, but the complete lack of any respect for the woman's feelings at all in this article is hard to comprehend in this day and age.

Also, if I were that husband, I'd be pretty annoyed at having an autobot in place of the girl I fell in love with!

Mad to see how much gender roles have changed in the last 60 years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

MY TIME MACHINE WOR........oh wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

We have progressed a lot. But don't be under the delusion that we (humanity) don't have a long way to go in terms of equality in a general sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Yup. I had that emailed to me in 1997 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Yup. I had that emailed to me in 1997 too.

Fair enough. First time I've seen it, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Wouldn't question any of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Now I know where I've been going wrong! Thanks OP ;), it's no wonder Irish men are so disheartened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Giving them the vote was when it all went downhill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

El Weirdo wrote: »

Knew I'd seen that somewhere else before :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Seems crazy alright, from what I gather people were supposedly happier back then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

:confused: marriage wasn't about love op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

its fake. ask your parents how it was ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

where did it all go wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Seems crazy alright, from what I gather 50% of people were supposedly happier back then.
    Fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.

Coming home to find the wife getting it on with another woman would do that I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Cool, you'll love this fresh new vid then:

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Cool, you'll love this fresh new vid then:

Ally McBeal rules!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Arrange his pillow? On his face, while he's sleeping with my ass for security, Sure! :D

Makes for a great read i have to say i thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

ah nostalgia for the days when the divorce rate wasn't 50-60% and men were glad to come back home from a hard days work supporting their family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Does it say anything about 3somes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

smegmar wrote: »
    ah nostalgia for the days when the divorce rate wasn't 50-60% and men were glad to come back home from a hard days work supporting their family to greet their wives who had just done a hard day's work supporting their family.

Housework and apparently endless preparations for pleasing a darling husband when he gets home is work too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

ah nostalgia for the days when the divorce rate wasn't 50-60% and men were glad to come back home from a hard days work supporting their family.

heh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

[*]Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.

Works on me.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

ah nostalgia for the days when the divorce rate wasn't 50-60% and men were glad to come back home from a hard days work financially supporting their family to greet their wives who had also done a hard day's work caring for their family.

ok fixed. Yes housework is hard work and a very valuable contribution. Men appreciate this, and that is why we need wives to do it, while we're doing the other necessary work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I think if I was alive back then, I'd just have been a cat lady or something.
    No way I could live like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Me too actually. Entertaining stuff..

/wipes away laughter tear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Don't forget in Ireland marital rape didn't exist either - and there was no contraception so babbies and babbies and babbies. Ah... halcyon days.

ok fixed. Yes housework is hard work and a very valuable contribution. Men appreciate this, and that is why we need wives to do it, while we're doing the other necessary work.

Some of use need them, some of us can manage without. :)

Why I even ate lunch (at work) that I'd cooked myself today! :eek: (and it was delicious!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I like to think that I'd be all for equality and all that but I have to admit that apart from more regular sex the only reason I'd want a girlfriend is because I can't iron my shirts for shít.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭DeeRottie

I'd happily abide by these rules .... but wait, I have to work too!!! Them bills need paying so I know my place is in the workplace. When the hubby makes head of the company with a six figure sum, then I assume I'll have the time on my hands to go through the Stepford Wife-ification Process :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

it all went downhill when women started driving cars...

fran17 wrote: »
    it all went downhill when women started driving cars...in San Francisco.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Reminds me of this song.... classic stuff..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You have to remember that in the early part of the last century there were at least two world wars , a lot more accidents at work and massive emigration

there weren't as many men to go around so women had to up their game to claim one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

Men also knew their place too, no real men around anymore :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I like to think that I'd be all for equality and all that but I have to admit that apart from more regular sex the only reason I'd want a girlfriend is because I can't iron my shirts for shít.

You old romantic you... such a catch!! No girlfriends you say, what a shocker!

Dudess wrote: »
    Don't forget in Ireland marital rape didn't exist either - and there was no contraception so babbies and babbies and babbies. Ah... halcyon days.

Even worse was trying to keep all the babbies quiet so as not to wreck the poor husband's head after a hard day at the office!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Adult children are the proof of the success of any marriage .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I can say nothing.
    My wife is lethal with a frying pan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Yeah Saudi Arabia is the happiest place on earth. :D

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

samina wrote: »
    You are right in a way - testosterone levels in men have been dropping by 1.2% a year, amongst various other problems that are being ignored by mainstream media resulting in the emasculation of men.
    In Edinburgh a recent study by Irwin (2) saw a 25% decrease in sperm count over 20 years
    http://www.ispub.com/journal/the-internet-journal-of-urology/volume-2-number-1/the-sperm-count-has-been-decreasing-steadily-for-many-years-in-western-industrialised-countries-is-there-an-endocrine-basis-for-this-decrease.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Show Time wrote: »
    Giving them the vote was when it all went downhill.
    And letting them into bars :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Owen_S wrote: »
    samina wrote: »
    You are right in a way - testosterone levels in men have been dropping by 1.2% a year, amongst various other problems that are being ignored by mainstream media resulting in the emasculation of men.
    In Edinburgh a recent study by Irwin (2) saw a 25% decrease in sperm count over 20 years
    http://www.ispub.com/journal/the-internet-journal-of-urology/volume-2-number-1/the-sperm-count-has-been-decreasing-steadily-for-many-years-in-western-industrialised-countries-is-there-an-endocrine-basis-for-this-decrease.html

Load of c0ck. You'll be saying global warming is real next.

In a more recent study it was found that these dropping levels have stopped dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

Sure its grand, we can do as we wish when you're marched off to war like lemmings.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Biggins wrote: »
    I can say nothing.
    My wife is lethal with a frying pan!
    You're telling me, that fry up last Thursday was wojeus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

n now it's, german jamaicans with, twisted faces same as it ever was just.. tell me what the place is

60 years ago everybody knew their place .Life was simple then .

paddyandy wrote: »
    60 years ago everybody knew their place .Life was simple then .

For some, and mainly the people for whom life is still relatively simple now.

For other people, their place was in an industrial school or a Magdalene laundry, and that's just in this country.

Life might have been simpler, but it was far from ideal.

For some, and mainly the people for whom life is still relatively simple now.

For other people, their place was in an industrial school or a Magdalene laundry, and that's just in this country.

Life might have been simpler, but it was far from ideal.

We are nearer the IDEAL are we ?????? 500 sucides a year now when it was almost unknown then .

• Advertisement
Advertisement