Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to sit Exam

Options
  • 21-05-2012 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I'm attending GMIT and have already passed a subject because of a 50% project. Im very busy at work at the moment so do I even have to sit the written exam? or could I fail from not sitting it? please help!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

You should really. External examiner may not mark it as highly if it gets sent away. Probably also would rule out passing by compensation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭podgie.

As far as I remember, you can't pass unless you have sat the exam, you don't have to write anything on the exam booklet apart from your name and student number and hand it up. if you ring the exam office they will confirm if i'm right or not. numbers 091-742087 091-742347 091-742348

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

You should really. External examiner may not mark it as highly if it gets sent away. Probably also would rule out passing by compensation too.

do all exams get looked over by the external examiner?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    do all exams get looked over by the external examiner?

No the external will randomly select 5-10 papers from the bundle. check them to verify that they are marked correctly, no bias etc, if he not happy, he will tell the examiner to remark all papers again and the external will randomly select again,

If it is a final year class he would check most of them, if not all, this is due to the fact that people will be hired based on their results.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

podgie. wrote: »
    No the external will randomly select 5-10 papers from the bundle. check them to verify that they are marked correctly, no bias etc, if he not happy, he will tell the examiner to remark all papers again and the external will randomly select again,

If it is a final year class he would check most of them, if not all, this is due to the fact that people will be hired based on their results.

I thought they re-corrected/checked all of them.

also heard their more likely to put marks up rather than down but if they make the lecturer remark them this must be wrong also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

padraig102 wrote: »
    I'm attending GMIT and have already passed a subject because of a 50% project. Im very busy at work at the moment so do I even have to sit the written exam? or could I fail from not sitting it? please help!

Not sure about GMIT but its a fairly standard for students to have to both sit and pass both elements of a course. This is a fairly old issue that probably comes up in every college at every set of exams. Someone has already passed and wonders why they have to bother to continue. Academics being Academics they want people to see college as the number one thing in their life so they don't understand people having other demands on their time and just doing the bare minimum to pass. I would be surprised if GMIT hasn't already seen this issue and closed the loophole.

If in doubt ask student services. Don't leave it to chance or to the advice of people here.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    I thought they re-corrected/checked all of them.

also heard their more likely to put marks up rather than down but if they make the lecturer remark them this must be wrong also.

Think of it this way, they have about 6 subjects to look over.

50 per class for example. that 300 papers to check. in a space of a week and half after correcting. not possible with the timeline they have.

one person could be marked to high and another could be marked two low. they all would had to be re-done so as to be fair to everyone.

Advertisement