Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friday 25th Cork City, something to do

Options
  • 21-05-2012 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭

I'll be in Cork city on Friday 25th May with my wife who is attending a conference for the day so I'm looking for something to do for the day. Had a look at a few websites on the stickie and peopelsrepublicofcork.com.

Anything on that day that's interesting? I'm one of the elder lemons on this site.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Are you a football fan? Cork City will be playing Athlone Town in the FAI Cup that evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Not a sport fan and am looking for something to do / see between 10am and 4pm.

You could go for a walk, particularly around Fitzgerald Park or the Lee Fields. Two very nice areas.

If you like shopping, town, like most city centres, is fairly varied.

If you're not too familiar with Cork, maybe a bus tour around the city?

If you like a nice pint, you could bring a book/the paper and head to the Franciscan Well on the North Mall. Lovely drink and a great beer garden, too. Not sure if it'd be open at that time, though. The Bierhaus is meant to be a nice spot, too - only up the Quay a bit. This one also has a restaurant, which has gotten rave reviews, but, again, I'm not sure if it'd be open for lunch or just later on in the day.

If you enjoy a nice coffee, there are plenty of places in the city centre.

I don't really know if there's something "really" on, though, if you're exclusively looking for something like that. You could always just stroll around town and see if you spot anything you might enjoy, if you find nothing else.

Thanks for the info, hate coffee, love a pint but I'm driving to Waterford later, any Museums or the like. Will be in the English Market and accompanying the wife on her tour of the city center shops on the Thursday, will probably eat in Scoozi's. Don't mind driving a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

jameson distillery tour in midleton, only about 15 min drive from the city

• Advertisement

trad wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, hate coffee, love a pint but I'm driving to Waterford later, any Museums or the like. Will be in the English Market and accompanying the wife on her tour of the city center shops on the Thursday, will probably eat in Scoozi's. Don't mind driving a bit.

http://www.corktourist.com/directory/places_to_visit/museums_and_galleries/cork_city/

All that information mightn't be fully up to date, though. They have the Beamish and Crawford Brewery listed, which closed down two years ago. I'm not sure if you can tour the brewery that it's now brewed in (Murphy's, on the Northside).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I'll be in Cork city on Friday 25th May with my wife who is attending a conference for the day so I'm looking for something to do for the day. Had a look at a few websites on the stickie and peopelsrepublicofcork.com.

Anything on that day that's interesting? I'm one of the elder lemons on this site.

Wait 24 hours and watch UFC 146!

Like I said, not a sports fan. Might give Middleton a look, was there years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

try the Glucksman gallery in UCC. plenty of nice scenery for a walk, and the restaurant there is really nice and reasonably priced.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    You could go for a walk, particularly around Fitzgerald Park or the Lee Fields. ...........
    .......... any Museums or the like. ............

There's a museum in Fitzgerald's Park :)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

You could try the Open-Top bus tour. There's a longer version which takes in Blackrock Castle as well.

http://www.corkcitytour.com/outer-limits-tour.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

kiss the blarney stone maybe?or get the train to cobh and do the titantic walk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

There are at least 50 restaurants within a 10 minute walk which are so much nicer than that glorified fast food restaurant for "plain eaters".

Stuff to do - check out the museum in Fitzgeralds park and the art gallery on Emmet Place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

mm you could go kayaking on the river, really enjoyable!! or the sea safari tours are quite fun...

What are you into then, twud make it easier

Folks, thanks for all the input. We have always found scoozies fine, maybe we'll try somewhere else.

Cobh sounds good, it being the years of titanic. I take a few photographs and do a little walking and cycling, (not bringing my bike). Might have a look at Fitzgerald Park on the way as I'm dropping the wife off at UCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Bound to find something good to do here...

http://www.whazon.com/cork/index.html

Thanks to the good people of Cork for all the suggestions. We're off in the morning and I'll let you know how I get on.

Advertisement