Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What were the most seminal/liberating/life-altering experiences of your life?

• 21-05-2012 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

I'm going to go with learning to read and getting my first bicycle.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Discovering how to ****.

Never a dull day since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Besides all the usual childhood milestones, normal enough things like learning to drive+getting a car, moving out of my family home, continuous education, jumping out of a plane, having children (last one life altering, but not necessarily liberating!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

When I discovered boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Being dumped from a toxic relationship that went on a few too many years longer than it should have.

After I got over it and copped on to myself I realised it was one of the best things that had ever happened to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

What were the most seminal/liberating/life-altering experiences of your life?
    summerskin wrote: »
    Discovering how to ****.

sem·i·nal/ˈsemənl/
    Adjective:
    (of a work, event, moment, or figure) Strongly influencing later developments.
    Of, relating to, or denoting semen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Found the key to my back door once , it was lost for a few hours and was sunny out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Duffman K

lerneng to spel

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Post of the day.

Getting engaged.

Finally escaping from Australia.

The first time I heard the doors on vinyl.

And. You know.

Drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Going to the shop on my own.

Lost the washing powder money, wasn't let out again for 15 years:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

summerskin wrote: »

Discovering how to ****.

Never a dull day since.
    I'd hand it to you for that but I guess you got it covered :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

"I'm not pregnant"

:yay: *opens mini box of celebrations*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

"I'm not pregnant"

You're a girl?? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Learning to drive, buying my first car, passing my test. You couldn't buy the independence :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Without any question it was when I stopped smoking weed/hash, smoked it chronically from the age of 14, so ****ing stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

Going to do an MSc. Then realising the massive, massive debt I was in once I dropped out. Such is life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

When they added caramel to chocolate digestives and created Caramel Chocolate Digestives.

F*cking hell they're lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

My first ride, and not on a fcuking bicycle either. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

first orgasm/fap

being connected to the internets, i was a late starter aka my early 20s, getting internet at home, now i couldnt do without it

the whole getting over someone process, it makes you think more, realise more, and do/plan more and also realise that a lot of things dont last forever but as long as its right, you feel something for them and you make the most of it you can very rarely/if ever go wrong :)

College life

Sex shops, different types

a new relationship, after thinking for a long time i would never feel this way again, maybe even feel moreso :D and that whether it lasts, which i hope it does, or if it doesnt this is a milestone in itself

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    first orgasm/fap

Sex shops, different types

a new relationship, after thinking for a long time i would never feel this way again, maybe even feel moreso :D

+1. I should change my answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Performing autofellatio for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

So, you're of the 1%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Doing a nighttime scuba dive in the gulf of thailand, rising to the surface in the middle of the ocean in pitch darkness to see the whole sky covered in stars, literally stars appearing at will as my eyes adjusted.

First thought was 'god we are small'

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

listermint wrote: »
    Doing a nighttime scuba dive in the gulf of thailand, rising to the surface in the middle of the ocean in pitch darkness to see the whole sky covered in stars, literally stars appearing at will as my eyes adjusted.

I went during the day and got sun burned. The night time idea is much better.

Where was that out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Giving the number of times you mention it it must be well and truly dazzling by now. Nothing like a good spit polish ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Finally escaping from Australia.

Haha good on ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

My first gig, the buzz is mighty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Getting to hike the W in Torres del Paine, graduating from college, Kilimanjaro summit, passing my driving test, going to an all african american mass in Mississipi on a deep south road trip. Never have been so warmly welcomed in my life. Seeing Mt Everest, full moon party in Thailand also a Favela tour, Rio (had a drug dealer with a machine gun shout at me for taking video footage of him. Our guide didnt spot him in the crowd. Yikes!) and my 1st triathlon (finished almost last but I caught the bug).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

listermint wrote: »

Night-dives are fcukin awesome! Did one in Thailand a few years back, when we reached the seabed turned our torches off and made the plankton fluoresce by waving our arms. Beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

"I'm not pregnant"

You're a girl?? :eek:

A girl...like a fox! Ehr no, t'is in inverted commas cos I be quoting the one I "accidentally" deposited my semen into.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Life altering: finding out my (now) fiance was pregnant. But not by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Blowin that cantankerous, gangrenous leg offa me w/ teh shotgun? liberating.

even if the wound is still weeping... argh.. some people get a leg up, I got a leg off.. chances halved of gettin a leg over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

When ya just stop giving a **** about what other people think of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Night surfing on July 4th on Waikiki Beach in 2007.

Just graduated from University and was on a J1. Had my whole future and life ahead of me and was ready for the journey to begin without a care in the world.

Was sitting on my board beside my friends watching the firework celebrations going off nearby.

That's my happy place !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Domo230 wrote: »
    It made me realise that if you can dream it then you can one day achieve it
    Tenet #1 in the Stalker's Guidebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I've two:
    The first time I windsurfed properly, flying around at high speeds, your arse just above the water, holding on for dear life, using your strength and balance to stop you smashing into the water, spray in your eyes, pure adrenaline, actually had to just bail off and scream in bliss.

Second: doing a set (takes about a minute) over and over again 108 times one day in kung fu. After we finished I had the strangest feeling, like everything was deja vu. Everything. I've had that feeling before on drugs, but experiencing it due to nothing but physical meditation was the most holy thing I've ever felt.

Both those things thought me that stuff, the things we worry about really don't matter at the end of the day, and its very easy to cheer yourself up if you get up and do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Quitting my job of 10 years that I hated and moving half way around the world with no new job lined up.

Scariest, most liberating, and ultimately one of the best decisions I ever made :D

The moment I got told I had been selected for voluntary redundancy. Amazing moment knowing I'd be in Asia a few weeks later.. Booked a flight that evening and then rang Mam to tell her I threw away my career path and was headin to Bangkok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Walking beyond the garage down the end of my estate when I was about 7. My parents wouldn't have let me if they'd known. I sneaked down to the beach with a friend for the day and got lost coming back. Still remember the feeling....first taste of freedom.

Escaping out of the school grounds going on the bounce with a friend in secondary. We'd just leg it out of the gates and we never got caught....

Getting my first part time job when I was 16 and not having to rely on my parents for 2 pounds a week for cider and fags.

Moving into Dublin city for the first time and sharing with friends....

Travelling around South America for 11 months on my own and being able to to do whatever the feck I wanted with who I wanted and where I wanted and answering to no one. God that was a great year....

Advertisement