Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sí

Options
  • 21-05-2012 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

What does the paranormal forum think of the sí? you know, banshees, pookas samhain, the rest of it?
    Personally I'm very superstitious about this stuff, always close to ****ting myself in the country at night, in case the dullahan or the banshees come for me. Not that I actually 100% believe they are out there... just superstitious.
    Samhain: If ye didn't know(I'm guessing most of you do because this is paranormal) Samhain was the time in ancient Ireland when the Sí (the faery folk) come out to play. Ghosts, goblins, the lot. Personally the one I like is the púca. The púca is a shape-shifter, who appears as a horse with glowing eyes, a rabbit (If it's being discreet) a goat, and various other animals, always jet black. Legend has it, it lives in Poulaphouca (Poll an Phúca- lake of the pooka) and comes out every so often to terrorize people. Brian Boru was the only one who could tame the púca; he put a bridle on it and only agreed to release him if he never went near a Christian. The púca eventually went back to scaring people, presumably beacuse Brian died and a load of muslims and jews and protestants moved in, but anyway that's the púca. If you saw Donnie Darko that's an exaggerated imagining of a pooka. What about ye? any good stories or opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

http://www.shee-eire.com/Magic&Mythology/Fairylore/Sidhe/page%201.htm

You might get better answers if you tried the paganism forum.
    Then again most people who'd have had dealing with them tend not to talk about it so openly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sharrow wrote: »
    http://www.shee-eire.com/Magic&Mythology/Fairylore/Sidhe/page%201.htm

Then again most people who'd have had dealing with them tend not to talk about it so openly.

why is that do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Not wanting people to think they are crazy, not being 100% sure what happened, memory can degrade or for fear of showing disrespect or not wanting to be rebuked for doing so.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sharrow wrote: »
    Not wanting people to think they are crazy, not being 100% sure what happened, memory can degrade or for fear of showing disrespect or not wanting to be rebuked for doing so.

ah that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

this is a gorgeous documentary on faeries you might enjoy if you are interested in this stuff...its called the fairy faith and this is part 1, the whole thing is on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzeGkx_5Uuk

i love all this stuff but cant say ive had any 'evidential' experiences, (its all about hard evidence on this forum!) but i have had some mystical ones and have been more respectful of the faery realm ever since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

lolo62 wrote: »
    its all about hard evidence on this forum!

No it's not! the Soc/Mysteries Of The Unexplained forum maybe but certainly not here. It's tough being a sceptic on this forum. Too many people wanting to believe in the absurd rather than the realistic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

squonk wrote: »
    No it's not! the Soc/Mysteries Of The Unexplained forum maybe but certainly not here. It's tough being a sceptic on this forum. Too many people wanting to believe in the absurd rather than the realistic!

Its tough being a believer on this forum.Too many people with small minds who try to explain other peoples experiences with their own "uneducated spiritual" view on what happened.

this is a gorgeous documentary on faeries you might enjoy if you are interested in this stuff...its called the fairy faith and this is part 1, the whole thing is on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzeGkx_5Uuk

i love all this stuff but cant say ive had any 'evidential' experiences, (its all about hard evidence on this forum!) but i have had some mystical ones and have been more respectful of the faery realm ever since

cheers for that link gonna watch it later

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Laura Rua

Eddie Lenihan wrote a fantastic book on this: "Meeting the Other Crowd: the fairy stories of hidden Ireland". It's all about encounters people have had with the Sidh, mostly around Clare and the West of the country. It got me hooked on the subject

Laura Rua wrote: »
    Eddie Lenihan wrote a fantastic book on this: "Meeting the Other Crowd: the fairy stories of hidden Ireland". It's all about encounters people have had with the Sidh, mostly around Clare and the West of the country. It got me hooked on the subject

where did you buy that?

• Advertisement

gillad wrote: »
    Its tough being a believer on this forum.Too many people with small minds who try to explain other peoples experiences with their own "uneducated spiritual" view on what happened.

So people who don't subscribe to a viewpoint are small minded? That's a very unfair criticism. I wouldn't ever describe so-called 'believers' as small minded. Organising the facts to support their desired conclusion perhaps instead of analyising the facts and arriving at a conclusion but not small minded. As Carl Sagan said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence", yet there is never much in the way of hard evidence of any kind presented in this forum. Just because any of us see something in a particular light doesn't make any of us more broad minded than the next person. It's far too easy to assume a belief without critically analysing why, or how, you believe what you do. Such lack of critical analysis will normally rear its head in the form of name calling, such as 'small minded' when questioned.

You can't also dismiss criticism as stemming from some uneducated mass. Many people on this board might not have benefited from the joys of an education in spirituality but a lot of people on boards have plenty of education and work/life experience in the areas of problem solving and analytical thought. From accountants and teachers, to software engineers and plumbers, there are a lot of people who can look at a set of events and deduce that you cannot always take everything at face value. Back before the printing press there were plenty of people all too happy to keep scriptures and other items of learning to themselves because only they were trully educated enough to work with them and the viewpoints of the common public could not be of any benefit. I presume you see the flaw in your argument at this stage? Deriding those who don't hold your viewpoint as being uneducated and small minded doesn't exactly attract a whole heap of good will.

where did you buy that?
    Got my copy from a friend, but I see Eason is selling them too

Got my copy from a friend, but I see Eason is selling them too

I'll have a look in there tomorrow so : )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Its tough being a skeptic on this forum. Too many people wanting to believe they are skeptics when they arent, really.

As Carl Sagan said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence", yet there is never much in the way of hard evidence of any kind presented in this forum.

Carl Sagan also used Martin Ree's maxim, "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Where do you expect to find 'hard evidence'? Are you another of these people who expect someone else to go and do the digging for you? If you have ever spent time properly researching the paranormal you should have, by now, found at least one or two things that might act as evidence (whatever that is). Many of us have found enough to be intrigued, but it will take more than that - and more people looking rather than ridiculing from an armchair - to ever be able to come up with 'hard evidence'.

he's so cool!

im not trying to enter into a big debate here but based on your last post, which i found intelligent and insightful, i felt the need to point out to you that its just as dismissive and critical to say that someones viewpoint is absurd (believer), as it is to say someones viewpoint is small-minded (sceptic).

i realise you made your point in reply to my post where i said its all about the hard evidence on this forum, but in my experience thats what it boils down to for a lot of people here.

its a pity every thread on this forum descends into a condescending/undermining match because the topics get lost in the fuzz and neither 'sceptics' or 'believers' achieve anything beyond the conclusion its 'them and 'us'..in which case everyone is being absurd and small-minded.
    ive been guilty of this many times also so im not being self-righteous here im trying to determine if there is a way around the big 'whos right' wall so this forum can be a bit more fun...

I think we all need to develop a geniunely skeptical viewpoint considering the information just isnt there (as yet) to determine if there's anything to the paranormal or not. Rather than complaining about the lack of 'evidence', more people need to get out there and start looking (if they want to help in finding any answers that is). If they arent interested in finding answers then the actual question is obviously of no interest to them either.

This forum seems to have a bigger share than most forums of these kinds of people with no interest in a subject, but who yet feign interest. Personally I think its down to low self esteem and the need to think they sound intelligent, but thats completely another matter.

Mind you, there is no one single answer ... the paranormal covers a lot more than ghosts and mediums.

Absurd/Smallminded
    If you bite you cant cry if someone bites you back.

gillad wrote: »
    Absurd/Smallminded
    If you bite you cant cry if someone bites you back.

Absurd as in illogical, not as in 'you're an idiot for believing this'. Absurd used in it's correct meaning isn't an insult or a bite as you'd put it.

• Advertisement

Great:)
    Now we should give the thread back to "The si" and keep the arguments in the skeptics forum.

i had a look in easons for the eddie lenihan book..€17 is a bit steep for moi so found it on book depository uk for €12 something with free post if anyone is interested

had a read of the first few pages, love how its written exactly the way he talks
    he's going to be a the spirit of folk festival in september so really hoping i get to catch a storey or two then

nice I'll order from them then :)

he's going to be a the spirit of folk festival in september so really hoping i get to catch a storey or two then
    Fantastic- must book tickets for that :) His website doesn't seem to be active so its hard to keep track of where he's appearing. Thanks for the heads-up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

The Good Old Si

I love Irish Folklore because I'm interested in mystical Ireland and it's mysterious past.
    It's our heritage and it's what kept us going when we had no tv's radios and the houses were too damp for books LOL

If I had a choice of sitting with good people in an old cosey candle lit farmhouse in North Clare with a roaring fire listening to some old woman or man telling pisheogs,
    or watching the latest movie on blueray connected to a Bose Lifestyle system in a
    clinicaly clean apartment.
    I think I would find it more intriguing listening to the stories and letting my imagination take over.
    Nothing wrong with the Bose lifestyle and apartment either but the old experience would be more down my road.

I heard some great ghost stories back in the 80's that would put the hair standing on the back of my head.

The burren is full of paranormal intrigue, and old ruins....

And I heard some strange things when walking those lonely green roads late in the evening.....:....:......

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

The mushrooms must have been really strong in ancient Ireland, we don't get to see any of this stuff nowadays (just stories and whispers on the wind)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

for those of us who are sensitives ireland is a wonderful place ,from the moment i get of the ferry i know i am in a very spiritual land, my senses go into overdrive,i could tell you many stories of my irish sightings and experiences,but this is not the time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

It is also something that terrifies me. I think though, that cats are devils for making crying noises, especially when fighting over females and territory at night time..... but, yes, I do believe that certain families have this "warning". The only thing is that, it doesn't cry for the hearer, it cries to warn the hearer of the impending loss of a family member.

Advertisement