Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing the Leap...

Options
  • 21-05-2012 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

The $70 ‘Leap’, which isn’t much bigger than your average USB dongle, connects to an existing computer or laptop USB port of a laptop or PC to create an interactive three-dimensional space said to b ’200 times more accurate’ than existing devices.
    This 4-cubic feet squared field can be manipulated using fingers or other implements such as pencils.

In fact, so precise is The Leap that the company behind it claim that it can accurately register the sharpened tip of a pencil to 1/100 of a millimeter – making it perfect for pixel-perfect digital drawing, or signature signing.

Such precision opens up a world of potential for The Leap – far more than swiping and pinching your vacation photos or playing Angry Birds:

Precise virtual drawing in 2-D and 3-D
    Signing a digital document by writing in air
    Navigating large-scale 3-D data visualisation systems
    Creating and manipulating 3-D models like houses and cars
    Playing computer games, including fast-twitch first-person shooters
    “It’s more accurate than a mouse, as reliable as a keyboard and more sensitive than a touchscreen. For the first time, you can control a computer in three dimensions with your natural hand and finger movements.” says Leap Motion’s CEO Michael Buckwald.

Should The Leap prove to be every bit as responsive in ‘the wild’ as it is in the video demo then, hyperbole or not, the device could find itself used as the dictionary definition of ‘game changer’.

LINK

Unbelievable stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

that's actually very cool. move over kinect, there's a new sheriff in town! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

My arms are tired just looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

My arms are tired just looking at it.

Yeah that's what most people are saying but realistically it's not for people sitting in front of their computer all night scrolling through reddit.

who is it for....that's if it works like it shows in the vid...which these things generally don't.

Where's all the cool gadgets?

who is it for....that's if it works like it shows in the vid...which these things generally don't.

All the cool gadgets?

I'll just give what they say it's aimed for:
    Everyone! We envision a day in the near future when our motion control technology will be used in most consumer products – not just computers, but cars, appliances, medical devices, light switches and more. There are already many great uses for a variety of people.

Artists and creative types can use The Leap to emulate a stylus or easily create 3D images.
    Anyone can use The Leap to interact with Windows 7/8 or Mac OS X by clicking, grabbing, scrolling and using familiar gestures like pinch to zoom in 3D space.
    Users pointing a pen at the signature line of a document to sign it in space.
    Engineers can interact more easily with 3D modeling software.
    Gamers can play more easily and many will modify with Leap in mind.
    Surgeons can control 3D medical data with their hands without taking off their gloves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you know we are all going to try and predict future murders

Minority-Report.jpg&sa=X&ei=ZM66T6OWHYOYhQfM552LDQ&ved=0CAkQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGPVMOkBzi3H-cuORypdbEPhvaqcQ

shizz wrote: »
    All the cool gadgets?
    Flying Cars, Hoverboards, feck, the Holodeck is still 50, 50 years away.:(

If they upgraded this so we could run at 50mph and leap tall buildings it'd be something.:P

Phones have moved on big time but so much is being delayed or purposely held back.....unless it has the potential to help blow shite up.

This Fridge would be nice

You'd like one? To bad
    it's 40 years away
    , why bother even showing it?

Some interesting stuff in that.

nothing is instant. we didn't get quad core 1.5ghz phones overnight, it's all about the evolution of technology, not the revolution.

think of the phone you had 10-12 years ago compared to the ones that are available today, it's all moving forward and we'll get there sooner or later, it's just baby steps. :)

also, i've pre-ordered a leap, so i guess we'll see how it goes when it arrives (around dec-jan)

Flying Cars, Hoverboards, feck, the Holodeck is still 50, 50 years away.:(..........

......Some interesting stuff in that.

All that stuff is well and good but I fail to see what it has to do with this? They are all technologies in the pipeline. This is one which is available. If you want people to hurry up and create all the "cool gadgets" you want then get involved with it? :D

For the minority report screen all we'd need is a glass sheeting which can have images projected onto it and one of these guys thinned out and stuck to the bottom of the glass*.

*Obviously not as easy as that but you get the idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Just pre ordered :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

does this need a camera attached to the pc?

Skerries wrote: »
    does this need a camera attached to the pc?
    nope, nothing to do with cameras, it's just the little sensor pad below your hands like you see in the promo video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

70 dollars? Looks too good to be true..

Yet I still pre-ordered :pac:

For the minority report screen all we'd need is a glass sheeting which can have images projected onto it and one of these guys thinned out and stuck to the bottom of the glass*.

*Obviously not as easy as that but you get the idea :)
    I "think" Nokia were recently granted a patent for this.
    Window phone concept

Is it a window, is it a phone? No. Actually, it’s Window phone and this is the part where you are saying “Whaaat? What are you talking about?”. The phone is actually a concept with extraordinary features. Surely if this could be actually put into production, it would set a new standard for the term “cool”.
    window_phone2.jpg

window_phone3.jpg
    window_phone4.jpg
    window_phone5.jpg
    window_phone6.jpg
    LG have this,

I "think" Nokia were recently granted a patent for this.

LG have this,

That LG thing doesn't look up too much does it? Where as the Nokia one was more what I was talking about. Although it just looks like pure photoshop. No demo's? Or did they just patent the idea without making it?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

Actually it was on display and apparently it works perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

might pre order one of those.

Cant wait till this comes for my kitchen window at home
    http://videos.cnet.co.uk/crave-live/samsung-transparent-lcd-smart-window-hands-on-40001999/

Also like what Corning are coming up with http://youtu.be/6Cf7IL_eZ38?hd=1

tui0hcg wrote: »
    might pre order one of those.

Cant wait till this comes for my kitchen window at home
    http://videos.cnet.co.uk/crave-live/samsung-transparent-lcd-smart-window-hands-on-40001999/

Also like what Corning are coming up with http://youtu.be/6Cf7IL_eZ38?hd=1

Well looks like we nearly have everything sorted for Minority Report. Now where can we find people who can tell the future...

Well looks like we nearly have everything sorted for Minority Report. Now where can we find people who can tell the future...
    screw the future, i want a sick stick! :pac:
    "yeah, go on, p1ss me off, see what you get!" *prod* animated-smileys-puking-07.gif

vibe666 wrote: »
    screw the future, i want a sick stick! :pac:
    "yeah, go on, p1ss me off, see what you get!" *prod* animated-smileys-puking-07.gif

That would be my worst nightmare.

• Advertisement

That would be my worst nightmare.
    me with a sick stick? :pac:

the temptation to go ona rampage with it might just be too much, although if i did it in dublin city centre on a friday night i wonder if anyone would even notice any difference? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Found out about this today from a friend, I'm gutted I don't have the money to pre-order one now

EJ22 wrote: »
    Found out about this today from a friend, I'm gutted I don't have the money to pre-order one now
    won't be out till dec-jan time, so save up and pre-order it closer to the time. i'm sure you'll still get yours around the same time as the rest of us if you order it before the launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

vibe666 wrote: »
    won't be out till dec-jan time, so save up and pre-order it closer to the time. i'm sure you'll still get yours around the same time as the rest of us if you order it before the launch.
    Shipping rumored for March now.

Didn't you move house? May want to change your address on the pre-order?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2025398/leap-motion-signs-exclusive-deal-with-best-buy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

xlarge_d2ce96eb41dd2de7ccabe3d5181cbfcc.jpg

Soon.

It will be interesting to see if it lives up to the demo. I don't see how such a small piece of unseeming tech could derive such an accurate rendering of the user's hand, when they showed the hand-mirroring in the 3D space.

Shipping rumored for March now.

Didn't you move house? May want to change your address on the pre-order?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2025398/leap-motion-signs-exclusive-deal-with-best-buy.html
    :eek:

good point, thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Quick Bump on the Leap. It's the launch day today :) I pre-ordered one in June 12 and it's now with FedEx at the minute. Looking forward to trying it out and seeing what apps are available for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I got the pre-release developer edition about 5 months ago.

It's interesting, but a LOT of developers expected to get access to the 3D point cloud, and use it as a poor mans 3D scanner.
    But so far they can't.
    If Leap give the developers what they asked for, you'd see some very interesting new applications.

I see the Leap usage being like a USB joystick.
    You won't use it constantly, only plugging it in for specific applications.

It's not going to replace the mouse, the amount of people that will sue for
    arm/back ache keeping their arms in the air would be too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

***Bubble Burst*** :(

You mean it won't be like Minority Report? :D

Hopefully what the developers are looking for happens and this is win win for everyone. With the amount of pre-orders and deals they've done with hardware manufacturers though I'd like to be optimistic in its use long term. It's usefulness is totally dependant on development I'd have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You won't use it constantly, only plugging it in for specific applications.

What applications? If it's worse than current controls, which it is, it won't be adopted by anyone.

It's not going to be used for gaming or digital drawing as some have suggested. You have no arm/wrist rest for drawing and no tactile feedback so what artists would use it?

I may be wrong but I don't see it going anywhere.

Advertisement