Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Connell's bar in Sligo

Options
  • 21-05-2012 8:06pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

Was just in a pub in Cork and overheard some guy saying he was in a pub in Sligo over the weekend which is a WEST HAM pub.

Lol, I nearly fell off my seat.
    There's a genuinely a bar for west ham united supporters in Sligo town?

Good to see you guys keep it local up there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

jayteecork wrote: »
    Was just in a pub in Cork and overheard some guy saying he was in a pub in Sligo over the weekend which is a WEST HAM pub.

There's a genuinely a bar for west ham united in supporters in Sligo town?

Never heard of an O'Connells pub in Sligo, let alone a West Ham supporters one.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

West Ham fans meet in Connollys as do Spurs. The town overall support Sligo Rovers so yes we do keep it local.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

West Ham fans meet in Connollys as do Spurs. The town overall support Sligo Rovers so yes we do keep it local.

Connollys that was probably it.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

There's a genuinely a bar for west ham united in supporters in Sligo town?

West Ham pub me arse. Sligo Rovers and Man United (unfortunately) are the two biggest teams in Sligo.

Who the feck supports West Ham?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

thebuzz wrote: »
    West Ham pub me arse. Sligo Rovers and Man United (unfortunately) are the two biggest teams in Sligo.

Who the feck supports West Ham?

I was driving through town on Saturday just before the West Ham match started and I saw a lad in a Hammers jersey running along to get to the pub (presume Connollys if the chat here is correct :D ) Anyhow, I nearly crashed the car when I saw him so yeah I agree, West Ham fans in Sligo - very unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Ya if only we were top the the Premier Division and had the best attended home games in the country. Oh wait..........we are and we do.

I've never actually met a West Ham supporter in Sligo, so maybe OP you overheard some saying "Sligo produces the finest Ham in the west."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

I know at least 6 west ham supporters in Sligo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭I Need The Sun

6, does that include me?

Ya if only we were top the the Premier Division and had the best attended home games in the country. Oh wait..........we are and we do.
    In fairness, we don't. Shams and Cork have higher average attendances. But most Shams fans didn't support the club until they moved to Tallaght.

In fairness, we don't. Shams and Cork have higher average attendances.

Apart from splitting hairs, you appear to have totally missed the point I was making in my post.

• Advertisement

Apart from splitting hairs, you appear to have totally missed the point I was making in my post.
    What's to miss? You said we have the best attended home games in the country? We don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

There was an actual West Ham Supporters Club in Sligo. It use to meet in the Harp Tavern then moved up to some place in Pearse Road.

What's to miss?

The point perhaps? Take a look at what the OP said, look at my reply and then look up the meaning of 'context' in a dictionary.

The point perhaps? Take a look at what the OP said, look at my reply and then look up the meaning of 'context' in a dictionary.
    Nope, what you said is incorrect. No matter what context you put it in, we don't have the highest attendances in the country.

No point arguing anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

Nope, what you said is incorrect. No matter what context you put it in, we don't have the highest attendances in the country.

Wrong, the last two home wins on May 18th (Att:2,477) & May 12th (Att:2,823) were also the biggest attendances in the league.

Nothing worse than someone who doesn't get the point or the context of a post. The OP said this.....

And CM rightly contradicted that blatant provocation. So what's your problem? Second, first, or third best attendances in the country. There's not really much in it. The point is Sligo isn't a West Ham town and CM made it pretty clear that we are indeed keeping it local up here. So just untwist your knickers and please do look up the meaning of context.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

mongoman wrote: »
    Wrong, the last two home wins on May 18th (Att:2,477) & May 12th (Att:2,823) were also the biggest attendances in the league.

Nothing worse than someone who doesn't get the point or the context of a post. The OP said this.....

And CM rightly contradicted that blatant provocation. So what's your problem? Second, first, or third best attendances in the country. There's not really much in it. The point is Sligo isn't a West Ham town and CM made it pretty clear that we are indeed keeping it local up here. So just untwist your knickers and please do look up the meaning of context.

Take it easy I was just passing on what I heard.

I was sitting in a bar in Midleton when this rough looking character comes in, a West Ham fan himself, and proceeds to talk to the barman about his trip away to Sligo where he watched the CL final in a "West Ham" pub which I thought he said was O'Connel's but is probably Connolly's as mentioned on the thread.
    He said there was some "great banter" in there with the West Ham fans.

The guy was a total whacker though, covered in cheap tattoos, then he had the cheek to start complaining about all the travellers in Sligo!

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

The guy was a total whacker though, covered in cheap tattoos, then he had the cheek to start complaining about all the travellers in Sligo!

Can't blame him tbh.

mongoman wrote: »

I know Sligo's not a West Ham town, I said that myself already.

My point is we don't have the highest attendances in the league. Yes we might have on certain dates for instance if we're home to Shams and Cork are away to someone like UCD then we will have the highest that night, but overall we don't have the highest throughout the season. So ya can't say we have when it's not true.

Oh and I can think of a million things worse than someone who doesn't get the point or context of a post, you must have an easy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cassellswhufc

Wester wrote: »

I was driving through town on Saturday just before the West Ham match started and I saw a lad in a Hammers jersey running along to get to the pub (presume Connollys if the chat here is correct :D ) Anyhow, I nearly crashed the car when I saw him so yeah I agree, West Ham fans in Sligo - very unlikely.
    I'm a west ham fan I live in Sligo so yes very likely originally from Essex though people can move ya know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

I'm a west ham fan I live in Sligo so yes very likely originally from Essex though people can move ya know

I used to live near the Boleyn ground and its possible that I might have crashed the car if I had seen someone walking down Green Street with a Rovers shirt on:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement