Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sharks Bay Sharm el Sheikh

• 21-05-2012 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,

Me and my boyfriend are heading here for a week at the start of June..

We want to make the most of our time there and get in a few day trips (we def want to go to see the pyramids)..

Has anyone been and can give me some information about day trips/prices etc??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

You know that Sharm is about 600km away from the pyramids, don't you?

I've been to Sharm 3 times, to go diving. You could learn to dive, or if you don't fancy that, snorkelling. You can also try sailing/windsurfing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭rose23

Yep am aware of that, but you can do a day trip! Not gonna go to Egypt and not see the pyramids :)

Ye might try that.. anything else of interest to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

rose23 wrote: »
    Yep am aware of that, but you can do a day trip!
    The very thought is mental given the distance, but knock yourself out...
    http://bit.ly/K55zEM

... Not gonna go to Egypt and not see the pyramids :)...

I've been to Egypt 5 times. Haven't seen a triangle bigger than a Toblerone yet!!

...Not gonna go to Egypt and not see the pyramids...

Given the distances involved, that's a little like booking a trip to London and saying "Not gonna go to Great Britain and not see Edinburgh Castle!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭rose23

ok guys its personal choice, it seems that there are plenty of day trips available for those who wish to see the pyramids and I am one of those!

ok guys its personal choice, it seems that there are plenty of day trips available for those who wish to see the pyramids and I am one of those!

I don't mean to criticise your choice, but I just wanted to make sure you were aware of it and weren't about to bite off more than you can chew.

Even if you don't dive/snorkel, you might want to book a day out on a boat, so that you can see the land 'from the other side', so to speak.

A day trip to Dahab might be worthwhile, too.

Also, a word of warning about Egyptian roads: They are fcuking mental!!

Egyptian drivers - and this includes professionals like bus drivers - rarely use their lights, and seem to rely on streetlights or moonlight. No matter how many times they are told, they seem to believe that the lights will drain the battery flat in about 2 minutes.

The exception to this is when it suddenly becomes a little harder to see, when they suddenly put on all of their lights - including full-beam headlights - to compensate.

Can you think of a situation on a moonlit road where a driver might suddenly find himself less able to see? I can. They find themselves less able to see when they are being dazzled by the lights of an oncoming vehicle.

So to summarise: Egyptian bus drivers rarely use any light, but when a vehicle is coming the other way, they put on ALL their lights to try to help them see past the dazzle. (This will blind the other driver, natch). As soon as the bus is passed, he'll turn off all the lights again (when his night vision is completely destroyed, and he can't see a thing)

Fatal coach crashes are common in Egypt.

Also, have a look at this page.
    Your "day"-trip from Sharm to the Pyramids picks you up from your hotel in Sharm at 0100h, and will drop you back at 0030h the next morning.

As I said, I don't want to criticise your choice, but having been to Egypt, I would recommend that if you want to see the Pyramids, book another trip next year or whatever, and fly to Cairo, not Sharm. Or fly from Sharm to Ciaro and spend a couple of days there.

Advertisement