Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(SOLVED) Open ports to fix NAT error but for 2 Xboxes

Options
  • 21-05-2012 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I've just changed Broadband providers and was receiving a NAT error on both Xboxes.

I have 2 Xboxes in the house, one wired and the other wireless, both worked perfectly fine until the new router was installed.

I've enabled uPnP and opened the usual ports on the router for the IP of the wireless box and it has sorted the NAT error for that particular box. The NAT error is still there for the wired Xbox. How can I open the same ports for the second Xbox as it won't allow me to open a duplicate port for a different IP?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

I've just changed Broadband providers and was receiving a NAT error on both Xboxes.

I have 2 Xboxes in the house, one wired and the other wireless, both worked perfectly fine until the new router was installed.

I've enabled uPnP and opened the usual ports on the router for the IP of the wireless box and it has sorted the NAT error for that particular box. The NAT error is still there for the wired Xbox. How can I open the same ports for the second Xbox as it won't allow me to open a duplicate port for a different IP?

You can't have the same ports open at the same time for 2 IP's. It's not allowed (someone can correct me if i'm wrong). You'll have to have one in the DMZ and the other with it's ports opened. You could always get a better router, such as the Cisco E4200, it has all my devices on open NAT without changing any settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

You can't have the same ports open at the same time for 2 IP's. It's not allowed (someone can correct me if i'm wrong). You'll have to have one in the DMZ and the other with it's ports opened. You could always get a better router, such as the Cisco E4200, it has all my devices on open NAT without changing any settings.

I imagined it would not be possible to open the same ports for two different IP's but I asked just in case as I don't know too much about it ;)

What was annoying me was that my sons two Xboxes never had this NAT issue until the new router arrived so I reckoned it was sortable.

There's an article about multiple Xboxes on the same network HERE: which claims the DMZ option to be a myth?

Anyway, it appears to be sorted. I enabled uPnP got both Xboxes to assign automatically (as opposed to manually entering the Info) rebooted everything and the NAT error is history on both boxes :)

Thanks for the reply MiniNukinfuts ;)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Yup, dmz is really just peace of mind. It's all about the UPnP. :D

Advertisement