Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Options in the US

Options
  • 21-05-2012 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey I'm heading to the US this summer and i was just wondering what would be the best option and cheapest for having a mobile over there.

1) I currently have a nokia c3 so I was thinking of bringing that.

2) My brother had a phone when he was there so I have that now it. It does need a sim so would that just mean if i bring the phone to the shop and purchase a plan then a new number would be installed on the phone?

Which do you guys think would be the best option? Il be mainly texting within the US and the very odd call back home

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭pigeon999

Hey I'm heading to the US this summer and i was just wondering what would be the best option and cheapest for having a mobile over there.

1) I currently have a nokia c3 so I was thinking of bringing that.

2) My brother had a phone when he was there so I have that now it. It does need a sim so would that just mean if i bring the phone to the shop and purchase a plan then a new number would be installed on the phone?

Which do you guys think would be the best option? Il be mainly texting within the US and the very odd call back home
    Well your phone has to be quad- band phone. And you will have to use AT&T. For your needs I'd say go with a network called red pocket ( they use AT&T's network ). You'll also have to unlock your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

On the off chance you were going to use Data, be very wary.

High risk of being reamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I got a pre-paid sim from AT&T. Worked out very well.

Data package of 1gb for $25 for the month. Expensive enough, but well worth it.

The package I was on had free US text to any number.

I topped up by $15 for voice calls, but barely used that.

In the end, it saved me a lot over roaming charges, especially data roaming charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I bought a sim on T-mobile when I was in Florida last year. If I remember correctly it cost $45 for 30 days usage, that included unlimited calls & texts to US numbers and 1gb of data.

Advertisement