Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Absinthe 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Great news - looking forward to hardware accelerated 1080p MKV playback with XBMC on my iPad 3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

If you can't wait there's details of a paid IOS 5.1.1 JB for iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad, iPod touch released here http://jailbreakwire.com/vulndisco-mobile-1-7-jailbreaks-ios-5-1-1-untethered/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 navag

Absinthe 2.0 will be released tomorrow for IOS 5.1.1

It will be demo'd first at the HITBsecConf in Amsterdam by Pod2g and the Chronic team tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Worked perfectly on iphone 4, very easy jailbreak

• Advertisement

Going to have to wait until later to JB my iPad3:( How are you finding it n0brain3r? I presume I'm going to have to wait a while before someone comes up with a JB app (XBMC ideally!) to play 1080p mkvs?

I'm in work so can't play too much! Seems stable I'm ssh'd into it right now but so far so good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

anybody jailbroken this without erasing all contents? curious to know as i have to help someone who has it synced on a computer and not a laptop, so would be hard to get back to doing for him.

Thanks

Failed for me the first couple of times on ipad3 - you need to restore to factory from iTunes before jailbreaking

digitaldr wrote: »
    Failed for me the first couple of times on ipad3 - you need to restore to factory from iTunes before jailbraking

Worked for me without restoring on an iPad3 running 5.1.1 and a new iPhone 4S running 5.1.1 prior to jailbreaking - I guess suck it and see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

Just wondering why ye bother jailbreak the ipad, does it not void warrenty?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

keithb93 wrote: »

No.

keithb93 wrote: »

It will but if you need to return it and you can restore it using iTunes to an unjalbroken state and you should be ok.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

n0brain3r wrote: »
    It will but if you need to return it and you can restore it using iTunes to an unjalbroken state and you should be ok.

Apple have been told in court already that it doesn't.

Worked for me without restoring on an iPad3 running 5.1.1 and a new iPhone 4S running 5.1.1 prior to jailbreaking - I guess suck it and see

Should have said I did a backup then erased all contents and settings (as advised on greenpoison site) followed by jailbreak which failed. Restoring in iTunes and reapplying jailbreak worked.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Apple have been told in court already that it doesn't.

Do you have a link ? They where told it wasn't illegal but I think they can decide what voids their warranty.

Do you have a link ? They where told it wasn't illegal but I think they can decide what voids their warranty.

It was in a US court, and someone on here reckons there was a court in Europe as well, but I didn't see that one. How can they decide when you have paid €600 for a phone, and Apple think they can tell you what you can do with it? Can't see a judge anywhere going for that.

whiterebel wrote: »
    It was in a US court, and someone on here reckons there was a court in Europe as well, but I didn't see that one. How can they decide when you have paid €600 for a phone, and Apple think they can tell you what you can do with it? Can't see a judge anywhere going for that.

I agree with you to some extent but think of it this way there is a lot of sensitive hardware in an iPhone for example and jail breaking allows you circumvent inbuilt safeguards. Do what you want yes but within reason.

Then again would they be bothered trying to prove you damaged it while it was jail broken probably not.

If anyone is stuck greenpois0n.com is down but the download link is working https://sites.google.com/site/greenpois0nabsinthe/absinthe-win-2.0.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

It worked after a restore in iTunes on my iPad 3.
    I didn't know you could get XBMC on the iPad! I have it set up now and it's streaming 1080p mkvs with no problems.

xbmc is the business alright works great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Sparkle

Am I right in saying Absinthe doesn't make your phone sim free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

For someone with a jailbroken 3GS running 4.3.3, are there any good reasons to update to a jailbroken 5.1.1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Sparkle wrote: »
    Am I right in saying Absinthe doesn't make your phone sim free?

Yes Absinthe is a jailbreak NOT an unlock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Absinthe 2.0.2 has been released to jailbreak the new build of ios 5.1.1 (9B208).

http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=22214

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Sparkle

fox007 wrote: »
    Yes Absinthe is a jailbreak NOT an unlock

I want an unlock :(

Just a quick update on absinthe on my 64g iPad 3. First thing I did was change the root password. Seems to be very stable so far - have had a few crashes but they were all due to tweaks I'd installed from cydia and everything returned to normal after uninstalling. This is my first jailbroken device so am really enjoying the improved functionality - stuff like being able to mount iPad folders as network drives so can drag and drop files. There's another great tweak that allows for easy text selection. Unfortunately a lot of stuff doesn't work with 5.1.1 including a great tweak that adds an attach button to the mail app (apparently it can be installed under 5.1.1 if you bought it previously for an older firmware version). Great be able to access files on sd cards too - i have a cheapo ebay camera kit. The ability to have multiple pages of apps within folders is great too. My favorite jailbreak app has to be xbmc (been using it for years on an acer revo). The latest nightly build supports the retina display so copes well with 1080p mkvs. I've avoided an installo.us apps as good chance of them being dodgy.

Advertisement