Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

issue with xbox

Options
  • 21-05-2012 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have an xbox elite 120gb...Im connecting it via the av connection because its an old tv,today when i turned it on I can hear it but theres no display just a few dots on the screen so i think its the connection. has anyone had any problems or does it just mean iv to get a new cable

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

You could try a new cable but its more than likely gotten GPU problems meaning it will need to be re-flowed or re-balled if its not in warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

skinny90 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have an xbox elite 120gb...Im connecting it via the av connection because its an old tv,today when i turned it on I can hear it but theres no display just a few dots on the screen so i think its the connection. has anyone had any problems or does it just mean iv to get a new cable

How old is your system? For me this was basically the precursor for the RROD.

Vyse wrote: »
    How old is your system? For me this was basically the precursor for the RROD.

it is basically rrod
    Used to get tonnes of these when I was repairing consoles.
    fixed in the exact same way as rrod is (reflow/reball on rework station)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

ya from what I read up on forums online just simply googling av display issue's its GPU.ya its fairly old to be honest,it was the first elite 120gb.anyone know anyone in galway that would be would repair it at a reasonable price,or even a better question is it worth the repair?

ya from what I read up on forums online just simply googling av display issue's its GPU.ya its fairly old to be honest,it was the first elite 120gb.anyone know anyone in galway that would be would repair it at a reasonable price,or even a better question is it worth the repair?

Got mine repaired at the time. Lasted about a year. Ended up buying a new one in the end. In saying that the new XBox is probably only around the corner so if you got a year out of a repair it would nearly see you through to the next XBox launch (although I'm only guessing a launch of late 2013).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

Got mine repaired at the time. Lasted about a year. Ended up buying a new one in the end. In saying that the new XBox is probably only around the corner so if you got a year out of a repair it would nearly see you through to the next XBox launch (although I'm only guessing a launch of late 2013).
    cool yea il prob do the same but just to keep me going ya know your yourself. how much did you pay for the repair just soo iv an idea what is a decent price and what to stay away from

cool yea il prob do the same but just to keep me going ya know your yourself. how much did you pay for the repair just soo iv an idea what is a decent price and what to stay away from
    As far as I know there is nobody in Galway repairing them properly,
    Plenty of cowboy jobs but that's about it.
    I had a lot of people sending consoles to me from Galway because of this.

I'm afraid you'll have to send it away to somebody.

Make sure they use something called a bga rework station , can't stress this enough.
    Google bga rework station so you know what your on about.

40 euro seems to be the going rate for a reflow.
    A reflow only fixes your console it doesn't correct why it failed in the first place.
    So a reflow will more than likely fail at some point again.
    A reflow done properly is a fairly long lasting fix.

60 euro seems to be the going rate for a reball.
    A reball done properly should outlast a new console as it actually addresses the flaw in the console that causes them to fail.

I think I paid €80 euro back in the day. Obviously the prices of the console were a lot higher then and have come down significantly so has the price of repair. The €60 stated for a reball seems reasonable, just make sure there is a warranty with the work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Check a different cable first. Also check on a different TV. Remove the HDD to ensure that there is no corruption causing this. Always worth making sure that due diligence is undertaken with regards to troubleshooting before shelling out for a repair.

Advertisement