Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbours cats in the garden

• 21-05-2012 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

howdy all, new poster to this forum and am looking for some advice from those of you who are in the know. my in-laws have a problem with the neighbours cats (i think she has around 10 of them). They crap constantly in the front and rear gardens, because the houses are terraced, they can't leave any windows open or they climb in, they've begun digging and defacating beside the potato plants. I realise a bit of wire may solve the last issue and have looed into getting 'flock off' type railings along the wall between the houses- neither of which, to my mind, should be undertaken seeing as the in-laws are not the cause of any of the associated problems. I know there are some health issues associated with cat faeces but I'm unsure as to where they (the in-laws) stand in relation to the law. I know that if I let my dog crap in the neighbours, I'm liable to prosecution. The neighbour in question is not someone you can have a reasonable conversation with as she tends to take everything personally and so far pretty much all diplomatic efforts have been used to no avail. Suggestions anyone? thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I take it from your post that the neighbour is aware of the problem but does nothing to stop it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

yup- she's a bit of a nut. nice, but nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

There are products that will repel cats. One is scent based called Renedine? Put on rags and left around usually effective but smelly. Another is using a plug-in ultrasound cat scarer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 momg

Pricey but apparently they do work. A suggestion from Alley Cat Allies website: "Install an ultrasonic animal repellent or a motion- activated water sprinkler, such as the CatStop™ or ScareCrow™. Available at http://www.contech-inc.com." or in some gardening/DIY shops nationwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Try putting a few clear bottles of water around the garden: they frighten some cats off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

I have the same problem and have tried the ultra sonic devices. They didn't work. The next step is to contact your environmental health officer in writing. Looks like I will be taking this step myself :mad:

If talking didnt work and this person continued letting this happen i would catch the cats and drop them to a rescue or pound

thanks for all the replies. so far i've been onto the council, who say its possibly an environmental health issue, the hse say they can only deal with the area where there is a 'substantial' amount of faeces involved (the girl couldn't say if a handful, bucket, wheelbarrow or trailer full was a substantial amount) and the DSPCA who say you can trap them if they're feral. All three told me there's no legislation in place and you can't even eliminate them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

a cat and a dog are polar opposites as animals. Cats are independent hunters and their instinct is to hunt, kill and leave their scents around their territory. Dogs have to be told what to do.

I don't think you can stop a punish going to the toilet in certain areas - it goes against their very nature. Try getting some of that scent mentioned in previous post.

Bringing them to a pound is a bit nonsensical - you know they are owned by someone, and more than likely they would be put down there (who would do such a thing).

Are you pregnant? cat faeces is dangerous to pregnant women.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭big_heart_on

If talking didnt work and this person continued letting this happen i would catch the cats and drop them to a rescue or pound

Stealing pets isnt a solution and could probably land the OP in legal trouble apart from being a disgusting thing to do a person and the animal.

OP this may border on a cruelty issue but a waterpistol kept handy for a few days will work wonders. Cats dont appreciate getting interrupted doing their business and very quickly wont feel safe pooping in your yard.

This may be a moment to invoke the "blast them with p*ss", you can add something non harmful (forget what) to the water to simulate urine which will be doubly effective in keeping them off your property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

I think your most realistic chance of success will be to use those cat repellent products combined with actually chasing the cats off the property (being armed with a water pistol will help massively). :D

The cats see this area as their territory so you need to make it clear to them when you see them that it isn't. A good repellent will help keep them away when you're not there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

a cat and a dog are polar opposites as animals. Cats are independent hunters and their instinct is to hunt, kill and leave their scents around their territory.

I'm sorry but dogs instincts are not the polar opposites to cats, they also have an instinct to hunt, kill and leave scents around their territory, they're simply not given the freedom to act on these instincts. The same can be applied to cats, there are plenty of posters in this forum with cat proof gardens to keep their cats safely on their own property and stop them becoming a pest to other people

Dogs have to be told what to do.

Dogs don't have to be told what to do, but responsible dog owners have conditioned their dogs to obey, doesn't mean it's not in a dogs instinct to be independant

I don't think you can stop a punish going to the toilet in certain areas - it goes against their very nature.

Of course you can punish them for going to the toilet in certain areas, other wise there wouldnt be thousands of litter trained cats in the world. Like others suggested the OP can arm themselves with a large water pistol

Are you pregnant? cat faeces is dangerous to pregnant women.

Any carnivore defecating in a vegetable patch is dangerous. There is potiental for the vegetables to become infected so regardless of whether OP is pregnant it is dangerous. Not to mention purely disgusting

the waterpistol has been used, so has a cap gun- the neighbour had a canary- even called the gards (who couldn't do anything either way). just to recap a few replies (which are appreciated nonetheless); bottles filled with water are useless unless its sunny, repellant washes away in the rain, sprinkler systems etc. are possibly beyond the means of a pensioner who's getting chemo and is generally not in the best shape (can't go chasing them off either)- that's why I thought of the environmental health angle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭Heroditas

booom wrote: »
    the neighbour had a canary- even called the gards (who couldn't do anything either way).

That's one smart canary! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

booom wrote: »
    the waterpistol has been used, so has a cap gun- the neighbour had a canary- even called the gards (who couldn't do anything either way). just to recap a few replies (which are appreciated nonetheless); bottles filled with water are useless unless its sunny, repellant washes away in the rain, sprinkler systems etc. are possibly beyond the means of a pensioner who's getting chemo and is generally not in the best shape (can't go chasing them off either)- that's why I thought of the environmental health angle.

You've always got the nuclear option - GET A DOG.

Stealing pets isnt a solution and could probably land the OP in legal trouble apart from being a disgusting thing to do a person and the animal.

OP this may border on a cruelty issue but a waterpistol kept handy for a few days will work wonders. Cats dont appreciate getting interrupted doing their business and very quickly wont feel safe pooping in your yard.

This may be a moment to invoke the "blast them with p*ss", you can add something non harmful (forget what) to the water to simulate urine which will be doubly effective in keeping them off your property.
    its not stealing, cats are not seen as property like dogs, they have no protection under law.

You say its a disgusting thing to do? Well the neighbour allowing their "pet" do its business in the OPs vegitable patch is disgusting plus its more than one pet and the neighbour knows but refuses to fix it!!

I have no problem with cats that do not bother me, i often visit friends with cats and my family have them too, honestly no problem with cats as long as the owners are responsible but if cats are acting like vermin they will be treated as such, iv had similar problems to the OP with my neighbours, its not nice especially when the kids like to dig in the garden and play in their sand pit but had to be stopped because of "pets" doin their business there every day.

Iv said it before but if people want their cats to have rights they must take full responsibility for them, if not and something happens your cat no one is to blame but the owner

Iv said it before but if people want their cats to have rights they must take full responsibility for them, if not and something happens your cat no one is to blame but the owner

Exactly. It is not acceptable to have someone elses pet use your garden as a toilet. Its disgusting and irresponsible pet ownership. I for one will be using all available methods to rectify my problem cats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

furtzy wrote: »
    I for one will be using all available methods to rectify my problem cats

:confused: - What exactly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

spray them with a water gun everytime you see them in your garden they will soon be annoyed and get the message not to enter your garden again

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Allison91

I never had a problem with cats but almost every family has a dog where I live we don't and they use our garden as their toilet the dog owners don't care as long as its not in their garden. It's disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

ya dogs are worse,as when cats toilet they dig a hole first,and then cover it up again with the mud they dug out,so they are very clean like that,you will never see a ****e hanging around on a footpath or garden from a cat..the only thing is they could disturb bedding if somebody is gardening flowers etc..

ya dogs are worse,as when cats toilet they dig a hole first,and then cover it up again with the mud they dug out,so they are very clean like that,you will never see a ****e hanging around on a footpath or garden from a cat..the only thing is they could disturb bedding if somebody is gardening flowers etc..

beg to differ here. toms do not necessarily bury their faeces. Last week the entire lawn was dug up to the front of the house and anti-weed sheeting put down before covering with gravel. Between the sheeting going down and the gravel arriving they had managed to go where they had habitually done. the back garden is all lawn and it's like a minefield when you go to cut the grass.

Christmas thats pure crap! They may attempt to bury it, sometimes but not always. I recently redid my back garden, rotavated it and planted new grass, kept my dogs out of it since and cut it for the first time last weekend. I got a big shovel full of cat **** out of it before i cut it! Looks like the cats are back using my garden because i have not been using it. We also spent a fortune on new pots and plants for it and yeaterday the OH found more cat ****e in one of them, she loves cats but this even pissed her off. Our kids like to help sometimes and have some veg in pots that will be unusable if the cats get near it.

How people can think this is ok because 'its in their nature' is beyond me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Oh, so dogs are worse? Really? See, when my dogs poo I pick it up with a doggy bag and dispose of it! But cats, sure they're OK as they have the common courtesy to booby trap gardens/vegetable patches/play areas bury it first :rolleyes:

daveyeh wrote: »
    :confused: - What exactly?

Anything that is suggested and that works. Whole plant bedding area was full of buried ****....disgusting and not acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

sf80 wrote: »

I'd watch the good doctors video (for laughs alone). Our genius narrator pisses on his own car. Then puts it on Youtube. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

its not stealing, cats are not seen as property like dogs, they have no protection under law.

First time I've seen this put forward as a positive :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

if you select an area for the cats to use, they will probably use that place exclusively and not go in other places. maybe put some sand or cat litter down in an old tray/box in a discreet corner? at least it keeps the rest of the garden clean.
    I don't know how the owner can realistically stop them from entering your garden and a lot or repellents and stuff don't tend to work. A small dog would keep them out too. I know cats cannot abide the smell of orange or eucalyptus so maybe a spray with some essential oil and water in the areas you don't want them to go and a tray in a place you dont mind them using could solve them problem.

• Advertisement

ahal wrote: »

First time I've seen this put forward as a positive :rolleyes:
    It certainly is a positive if like the OP you have a big problem. Like i said with rights come responsibilities

Advertisement