Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about repeat exams?

• 21-05-2012 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

Just wondering say for repeating a module you failed. Say you got 0% out of 20% in the continuous assessment and get 35% out of 80 in the summer exam. While you have passed the summer you have failed overall. Do you do an exam in August similar to the one in May but worth 100% instead or is the 35% carried forward and you do the continuous assessment again where you must get 5% out of 20. Hopefully someone will be able to answer this. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Neither, you do the exam worth 80 marks again and in that you will need to get 50% to pass overall.

Or you can ask your lecturer nicely to allow you to redo the continuous assessment + do the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

D-Generate wrote: »
    Neither, you do the exam worth 80 marks again and in that you will need to get 50% to pass overall.

Or you can ask your lecturer nicely to allow you to redo the continuous assessment + do the exam.

Oh God no someone else please tell me this is not true. What about a module that is 100% continuous assessment with no end of year exam or a module with 20% attendance, 40% assessment and 40% end of year exam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 Liona

if you check the book of modules it will actually tell you how much % you need to pass and if continuous assessment has to be repeated when failed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Some modules seem to suggest that you might only have to repeat a continuous assessment which I hope is the case. has anyone here experienced this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I haven't, anything I have CA in requires overall pass and you can't repeat CA elements. It really depends on the module and department though, you'd be best off asking dept staff if you can't face the lecturer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

D-Generate wrote: »

sorry but you are wrong - failed elements of CA are not carried forward.

If you fail an element of CA you must be given a second chance;

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fifitricks

I failed all my continuous assessments in an arts subject last year and I failed my main Summer exam and I repeated all the modules of that subject and repeated the continuous assessment. It's different for all courses though! hope this helps a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Autumn Reat In DKIT

Are repeat exams questions same as summer exams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Are repeat exams questions same as summer exams?

As in will it be the exact same test? No, it won't.

But if you mean that will the test have the same question layout, then probably. Generally, any advice that a lecturer gives about the summer exams will also be relevant for the autumn tests, including stuff about how questions are laid out and what sections are covered.

Advertisement