Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things that you saw that made you ashamed to be Irish?

• 21-05-2012 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭

What's the worse thing that you saw Irish people do that made you ashamed to be Irish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

RTE chiefs axing Glenroe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

The dancing priest.

The worst thing about his antics was that he was clearly Irish so we couldn't disown him: a priest dressed like a leprechaun doing Irish dancing for gods' sake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

these national depreciation threads.

people are people. being a dickhead is not exclusive to ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Nothing that anyone has ever done has made me ashamed to be Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

that brendan kilkenny twat and that horan fella

whats yours op?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Tallafornia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Northern Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Fair City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Austerity

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Bertie wearing that yellow suit:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

BattleCorp wrote: »
    What's the worse thing that you saw Irish people do that made you ashamed to be Irish.

Around the time of the bailout, I remember a comedy skit on BBC Radio 4 making fun of Ireland's newly found poverty. Was ashamed that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭thunderthing

Nothing! Eejits in every country, not a big deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

The Leprechauns O'Guinness cheap tat emporium that is Carroll's Souvenirs is a bit embarrassing. Not particularly ashamed of it, though.

The U.S. army being allowed to refuel at Shannon was genuinely shameful, however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Nackers and junkies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jackie Healy Rae.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

Jedward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Our version of "Take me out". As if the British version was any use

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

The Leprechauns O'Guinness cheap tat emporium that is Carroll's Souvenirs is a bit embarrassing. Not particularly ashamed of it, though.

The small guy with the costume? I saw him once without the top half of his suit. He's actually Asian!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

Carlow town residents on republic of telly absolutely embarrassing and brings us back 1000000000000 years in evolution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

The Celtic tiger, the Irish banks and the property boom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

**** all.

Eventually you realise the only thing you can feel shame over are your own actions and words.

Dustin the turkey representing Ireland in the Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

when?:confused::confused::confused:

Biffo anywhere on the international stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

whats yours op?

I was talking to a bar manager in his pub in Australia a few years ago looking for a job. Just as I told him that I was from Ireland, a knob in a GAA jersey (drunk out of his mind and deffo Irish), took a sh1t on the seat of yer man's pub. Things went mental from there, yer man's mates pretty much wrecked the place.

In general, the conduct of a huge number of Irish in Australia left a hell of a lot to be desired. Many Aussies won't give jobs to the Irish any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

The dancing priest.

The worst thing about his antics was that he was clearly Irish so we couldn't disown him: a priest dressed like a leprechaun doing Irish dancing for gods' sake!

I'd say his sermons were something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

teednab-el wrote: »

He wasn't the first turkey to represent us in the Eurovision.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    j

He wasn't the first turkey to represent us in the Eurovision.
    At least the others treated the competition seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Xposé.

...TV3 in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The dancing priest.

Costing that Brazilian man his chance to win an Olympic gold in the marathon was a disgrace. How could the clown do that to somebody. You could never make up for destroying another persons dreams like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭alphanine

The Bank Guarantee from September 2008

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

dudess is going to love this thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The dancing priest.

A horror show if ever there was one
    Northern Ireland
    Oh jesus ..the amount of times abroad when people would hear my southern Irish accent and say '' ahhh it's terrible what you catholics and protestants are doing to each other in your country '' Well sorry ...it's not my country and I'm not doing anything to anybody ...please fcuk off .
    Jedward
    Seeing that image /hearing the name is enough to make one ill
    The Celtic tiger, the Irish banks and the property boom.
    Ireland own disaster of Titanic proportions
    Probably sent so as to spare RTE hosting the show in event of a a decent effort winning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Doom wrote: »
    Bertie wearing that yellow suit:D
    The first part.

Crystal Swing on the TV show Ellen.

I saw a clip of it, and it was basically exactly the type of thing that explains why some Americans come over here expecting to find a country of leprechauns and oulfellas going around saying "diddly-aye diddly-aye, wouldja be wanting a lift in me wheelbarra?".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭funnilenough

titanic in3d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Crystal Swing on the TV show Ellen.

I saw a clip of it, and it was basically exactly the type of thing that explains why some Americans come over here expecting to find a country of leprechauns and oulfellas going around saying "diddly-aye diddly-aye, wouldja be wanting a lift in me wheelbarra?".

That is a valid reason to be ashamed to be American, not Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Around the time of the bailout, I remember a comedy skit on BBC Radio 4 making fun of Ireland's newly found poverty. Was ashamed that day.
    I'd have laughed along.
    That is a valid reason to be ashamed to be American, not Irish.
    Is there ever a valid reason to be ashamed of where you happened to be born?
    I'd cringe at some stuff for sure, and take the piss out of stuff, but ashamed? It's not even logical IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

these national depreciation threads.

people are people. being a dickhead is not exclusive to ireland.
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Nothing that anyone has ever done has made me ashamed to be Irish.

I agree that there's too much national depreciation on AH in general, and it's silly to remain ashamed of being Irish for any extended period of time, but...

...sometimes when someone is very explicitly making their Irishness known, or is officially representing the country and does something incredibly stupid or nasty, it's hard not to have an instinctive feeling of embarrassment at being slightly associated with the individual, even if only by being born in the same country.

That's how I felt when I saw the dancing priest ruin the marathon for that guy: mostly anger at him and pity for the runner, but also, to a lesser extent, embarrassment at him being so overtly Irish.
    It's not logical: but it was an instinctive feeling that did pass after a little time.

But yes, it's silly to get too hung up on things and feel ashamed of being Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I was sat outside a bar in Spain and three jackeen the lads arrived with their wives and spread themselves across all of the available tables, when the waiter asked them to move to just one or two tables so that they could fit some other customers in they told him to go fook himself. The wives curled up with embarrassment and moved to one table, I got the hell out of there before anyone recognised my accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Dudess wrote: »
    Is there ever a valid reason to be ashamed of where you happened to be born?
    I'd cringe at some stuff for sure, and take the piss out of stuff, but ashamed? It's not even logical IMO.

Yeah, I'd agree with you.
    Worded my point arseways I guess.
    My point was basically that Americans who believe all that stuff are more cringeworthy than Crystal Swing by miles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Crystal Swing are so disgraceful.

Brian Cowen being lambasted on american TV as a drunken Irish stereotype, which he was. Actually Brian Cowen representing the country in any capacity.

I'm also ashamed of our current lot. Enda Kenny having his hair ruffled by that ignorant french billionaire tosser while we pay off bond holders like spineless brainless apes, that one little thing so perfectly showcasing how we're seen in the European theater.
    Politicians are such an easy target, but they're also the most viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

whats yours op?

People who make their lives all about this stupid rule on boards

Boyzones debut on the late late show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I'd love to say nothing has ever made me feel ashamed to be Irish but that would be a lie. How the abuse cases within the Catholic Church were dealt with in this country made me deeply ashamed. Felt ashamed to have any association with the ****heads in power at the time it all came out. Not logical I know but that's how I felt nonetheless. Many things make me proud to be Irish too which is equally illogical but I guess I'm an illogical kinda gal. That's how I roll.

Dudess wrote: »
    I'd have laughed along.

It had a tone of "those paddies can't do anything for themselves...". Didn't see much humour in it.

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I'd love to say nothing has ever made me feel ashamed to be Irish but that would be a lie. How the abuse cases within the Catholic Church were dealt with in this country made me deeply ashamed. Felt ashamed to have any association with the ****heads in power at the time it all came out. Not logical I know but that's how I felt nonetheless. Many things make me proud to be Irish too which is equally illogical but I guess I'm an illogical kinda gal. That's how I roll.

Indeed. If you can be proud to be Irish then surely the flipside is sometimes feeling ashamed of it also?

Logic and loving one's country don't usually sit well together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It had a tone of "those paddies can't do anything for themselves...". Didn't see much humour in it.
    Seems like they're the ones who should be ashamed so if they've to resort to cheap shots.
    But yeah I do know what people mean about feeling embarrassed about cringey stuff like that priest, but serious stuff like child abuse and the IRA - only those directly responsible should feel shame IMO.
    I'm not a person who'd be proud of being Irish either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Was at a Scotland/Ireland match in Murrayfield in 2006(I think).
    Myself and my partner stand to Ireland's Call as do the whole stadium,and seeing as I (still) don't know the words,stayed quiet for the duration of the song.
    Just as it's winding down I get a push on the shoulder from one of three obnoxious,loud,partly drunk and irish 20ish year olds and says in his best Dublin accent"Are ya not gonna sing to the jersey?"
    I just looked away and ignored him but a scottish lady piped up from behind him again"If ye are gonna cause trouble lads I'm calling security".
    They continued with the smart talk and general BS for about five minutes before security removed them.They literally had upset everyone within 10 seats radius of them.
    They embarrassed me to be irish that day. Anyone can have a few jars and have the craic but the levels of antagonism and disrespect they showed left a good few scots with a bad picture of drunken Paddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

The dancing priest.

Thought you were on about this fella when I read your first line!

• Advertisement
Advertisement