Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things that you saw that made you ashamed to be Irish?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Thought you were on about this fella when I read your first line!

He's a national treasure! A far superior class of priest, using his dancing powers for good instead of evil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

He's a national treasure! A far superior class of priest, using his dancing powers for good instead of evil.

WAS a national treasure. Lived by the sword, died by the sword.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Dudess wrote: »
    Seems like they're the ones who should be ashamed so if they've to resort to cheap shots.
    But yeah I do know what people mean about feeling embarrassed about cringey stuff like that priest, but serious stuff like child abuse and the IRA - only those directly responsible should feel shame IMO.
    I'm not a person who'd be proud of being Irish either.

I know what you're saying but I went to sign the Book of Condolences in the Masnion House in Dublin for the victims of abuse a few years ago and it was very upsetting..most upsetting thing I've ever experienced. As I stood there, I felt shame. I felt we should've done more collectively as a nation to put more pressure on the government at the time to ensure those who wronged those poor people saw justice. I include myself in that by the way. In fact it was probably more shame on a personal level. There I was signing this book offering my sympathies but what had I done? I understand I wasn't the one responsible but it seemed they got away with so much and if we got out onto the streets and made our feelings known to the world through the media, things might've been different. I dunno.

I know you're not a fan of collective shame and I'd agree with you but it's how I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It had a tone of "those paddies can't do anything for themselves...". Didn't see much humour in it.

The Brits/English really can't point and laugh at 'us'. The UK went from being a global empire to IMF bailout in about 60/70 years.

Also, UK banks and businesses invested hugely in the celtic pyramid so if you experience any snootiness you should blow it straight back up their noses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Michelle Smith and the whole drugs test/whiskey piss thing!

Ireland's Call. We have to have a seperate Anthem for our rugby team cos the National Anthem doesn't suit everyone and the song is shit too. As a matter of interest are we the only country to do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I agree that there's too much national depreciation on AH in general, and it's silly to remain ashamed of being Irish for any extended period of time, but...

...sometimes when someone is very explicitly making their Irishness known, or is officially representing the country and does something incredibly stupid or nasty, it's hard not to have an instinctive feeling of embarrassment at being slightly associated with the individual, even if only by being born in the same country.

That's how I felt when I saw the dancing priest ruin the marathon for that guy: mostly anger at him and pity for the runner, but also, to a lesser extent, embarrassment at him being so overtly Irish.
    It's not logical: but it was an instinctive feeling that did pass after a little time.

But yes, it's silly to get too hung up on things and feel ashamed of being Irish.

i would be embarrassed for them, but definitely not because of them. i live in the UK, but listen to moncreiff every day at work, and there was a vox pop about the whole taxi drivers with green lights thing on. the reporter was asking people if they'd have any problems getting a taxi driven by a black person. one couple were going on about all black people looking the same and they'd never take a taxi driven by a foreigner, and it was a pure facepalm moment.
    but when it was over, one of the girls at work was saying that she'd never take a taxi driven by an asian guy.

i was as embarrassed for her as i was for the pair on the radio, but it didn't make me ashamed of where i'm from. stupid people are stupid, and not unique to one place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

The Brits/English really can't point and laugh at 'us'. The UK went from being a global empire to IMF bailout in about 60/70 years.

Also, UK banks and businesses invested hugely in the celtic pyramid so if you experience any snootiness you should blow it straight back up their noses.

one thing that shouldn't be forgotten, the UK didn't bail us out. they gave us a LOAN at considerably higher interest rates than what they'd get elsewhere. they'll do very nicely out of that little agreement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 Cat.OR

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Tallafornia

+1000

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The American swimmer accused Michelle Smith of cheating as we all dismissed her as a whining Yank and we cheered our winner home

Looks like she was right all along

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Skangers at a well known Irish music festival calling some black English lads **** and other racist ****e. Really uncalled for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The American swimmer accused Michelle Smith of cheating as we all dismissed her as a whining Yank and we cheered our winner home

Looks like she was right all along

.....Or was she? Hmmm?? *Raises an eyebrow* (Yeah she was....ah well....we can at least pretend...)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Advertisement