Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I can't believe there are still Northern Irish people like this.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Believe it OP. Still loads of bitter mofos up North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Going back to the OP, why is OWC.co.uk a private site? Ybig.ie is public to everyone and anyone to view!

I think the members are worried people will get to read their views or perhaps they just dont want to be trolled by their nationalist counterparts? I am not sure!

Either way, the views on that site seem to bother people. Maybe the IFA should look into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭briany

Deedsie wrote: »
    Going back to the OP, why is OWC.co.uk a private site? Ybig.ie is public to everyone and anyone to view!

I think the members are worried people will get to read their views or perhaps they just dont want to be trolled by their nationalist counterparts? I am not sure!

Either way, the views on that site seem to bother people. Maybe the IFA should look into it.

Posters on YBIG regard NI with casual disdain and/or regard them as insignificant except for their underage setup sometimes providing RoI with quality players and discussions about NI are relatively few while the subject of the RoI team is never far from the fingertips of posters on OWC who are burning up over the question of player eligiblity and frequently accuse the FAI of openly carrying out a sectarian campaign to destroy football for all in NI so I'm not surprised there are some more extreme opinions on that site but to be fair, could we say that it wouldn't be the same on YBIG if the show were on the other foot?

briany wrote: »
    Posters on YBIG regard NI with casual disdain and/or regard them as insignificant except for their underage setup sometimes providing RoI with quality players and discussions about NI are relatively few while the subject of the RoI team is never far from the fingertips of posters on OWC who are burning up over the question of player eligiblity and frequently accuse the FAI of openly carrying out a sectarian campaign to destroy football for all in NI so I'm not surprised there are some more extreme opinions on that site but to be fair, could we say that it wouldn't be the same on YBIG if the show were on the other foot?

Whatever way you look at it... There are more important things in life than soccer. Any attempts to block someone's right to choose their nationality should be an issue for the Northern Ireland assembly. This site is a forum for people to create an atmosphere where people think its ok to dictate the rights of others to choose their nationality.

I don't care about them slagging the ROI team, that is natural enough. The very same as Ireland fans attitude to France after the playoff incident or Holland, Belgium or Turkey after the playoff incidents...

I don't think you would find anyone insulting the French, Dutch, Belgian or Turkish or for that matter British people on ybig.ie...

I am confident the Irish people are a legitimate target on owc... That's a step beyond acceptable in my view. Sites like this and obviously if there are counter Irish supporter sites they should be policed.

The Internet is a great tool for bigots and prejudiced people all over the world to air their disturbing views. I'd rather Seán Sherlock et al focused on this rather than copyright infringement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

I just cannot believe the arrogance of some posters in relation to their people across the border. Its sickening to see such contempt for people in their own country and the lack of understanding they have for the injustices they suffered, when only a hundred years ago, their ancestors went through the same ordeals.

Whatever way you look at it... There are more important things in life than soccer. Any attempts to block someone's right to choose their nationality should be an issue for the Northern Ireland assembly. This site is a forum for people to create an atmosphere where people think its ok to dictate the rights of others to choose their nationality.

I don't care about them slagging the ROI team, that is natural enough. The very same as Ireland fans attitude to France after the playoff incident or Holland, Belgium or Turkey after the playoff incidents...

I don't think you would find anyone insulting the French, Dutch, Belgian or Turkish or for that matter British people on ybig.ie...

I am confident the Irish people are a legitimate target on owc... That's a step beyond acceptable in my view. Sites like this and obviously if there are counter Irish supporter sites they should be policed.

The Internet is a great tool for bigots and prejudiced people all over the world to air their disturbing views. I'd rather Seán Sherlock et al focused on this rather than copyright infringement...

Yes it's true the issue of a person's right to choose their nationality goes far beyond the remit of a soccer forum although I wouldn't say posters on OWC were trying to block anything because they have no power to, they were and are having a big moan about it though. It is also true that there are things bigger than soccer which is why the NI assembly shouldn't question a player's right to identify as an Irish citizen if he so chooses although I think the issue of the FAI/IFA dispute was raised there at least once and it's an issue that could lead down some thorny avenues.

A lot of NI fans talk about football for all, their pride in it, maybe their own personal role in it and then take a very negative stance toward the RoI team. That isn't smart because some of what they say will feed into that idea of a team that only represents one side of the community and it will not help to entice nationalist/catholic players to the NI team if they're showing a lot of bitterness and vitriol toward the team many of those said players have grown up supporting to an extent. It would be better to take a policy of neutrality toward the RoI team/FAI as much as possible and channel that energy into trying to sort grievances through official channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

This is generally what happens to any small, insular tribe. The amish though, hah, they're eh, hahaha.........Ahaha........BAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA....hahahaha....hehehe...oh man. To much fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

Was looking through the site again today and found the "Happy St Patricks Day" (suggested irony) thread and thought this'd be good. :rolleyes:

Some comments from it below:

"God bless the BBC, great thinking to put Cromwell on BBC2 on St Patricks Day, always remind those bog trotters who is boss"

"yes, same to you. Sing a few rebel songs and it'll be great craic"

"Pray for the heavens to open and go to the pub, you'll feel much better for it on Sunday morning no matter how raging a hangover you have. "

"I'm hoping for tornado's and flash floods"

"Should be fine in Newtownards, we get over-whelmed by our indifference to St Patrick, Wont be a tri-colour, Gaa top or shamrock in sight"

Not one bit surprising, but don't you know there'll be similar threads on other sites making disparaging comments about the Orange order and their activities.

Basically all the cultural differences between the two will be commented on by the other.

I do agree though OWC is a very dodgy site for what it gets away with... I honestly think sectarian comments on either side should be monitored by the PSNI & the Gardaí

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Not one bit surprising, but don't you know there'll be similar threads on other sites making disparaging comments about the Orange order and their activities.

Criticizing the OO is hardly the same.

Criticizing the OO is hardly the same.

Ah read my next sentence... I was just giving an example...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Some great whataboutery going on now?

Is this not a private site also? OK, we can join and post. But someone will approve or disapprove before we can join.

getzls wrote: »
    Is this not a private site also? OK, we can join and post. But someone will approve or disapprove before we can join.

Nope, I'm not registered on ybig.ie and I can read all the posts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

If you put Norn Iron as your country and use an english/scottish name you will probably be accepted. You may also need to use an english proxy.

Was looking through the site again today and found the "Happy St Patricks Day" (suggested irony) thread and thought this'd be good. :rolleyes:

Some comments from it below:

"God bless the BBC, great thinking to put Cromwell on BBC2 on St Patricks Day, always remind those bog trotters who is boss"

"yes, same to you. Sing a few rebel songs and it'll be great craic"

"Pray for the heavens to open and go to the pub, you'll feel much better for it on Sunday morning no matter how raging a hangover you have. "

"I'm hoping for tornado's and flash floods"

"Should be fine in Newtownards, we get over-whelmed by our indifference to St Patrick, Wont be a tri-colour, Gaa top or shamrock in sight"

Links?

• Advertisement

Should also add that even if you are approved there the boards you can view is restricted. They have a pay system and another approval before you get access to the other boards which contain most of the "interesting" subjects such as other teams, politics and other sporting discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I wouldn't be interested in spending any time in the OWC site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I've been living in Belfast for the last two years and haven't had any trouble with the Northern Ireland supporters and the issue over Gibson or McLean has never come up. What we end up discussing is how shite Northern Ireland are, terrible home record over recent years (i.e. not in disparaging way, but more in a quality of their team and management). What you get on OWC are usually scumbags with no education who have never left NI (with the exception of the odd normal person who just wants to chat about football).

Basically all the cultural differences between the two will be commented on by the other.

I do agree though OWC is a very dodgy site for what it gets away with... I honestly think sectarian comments on either side should be monitored by the PSNI & the Gardaí
    Just had a quick look. Can't see much in the way of sectarian comments. Yes, some obvious light hearted comments, i.e. the parts about St. Patricks Day. Maybe some people are looking at it with their anti Northern Irish Protestant glasses on.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Maybe some people are looking at it with their anti Northern Irish Protestant glasses on.:cool:
    News flash laddie, in the rest of the known universe nobody cares where you come from or what your religion is; really, we couldnt give a tinkers damn. Not a single shite could we give. Its just not important. It is in fact a mark of profound ignorance to care about such things.

What people do have a problem with is a gathering of racists spouting racist drivel. You know, like stormfront, which I'm sure many of that forum's members are intimately familiar with.

Stormfront? I am a member on O.W.C. and i know nothing about Stormfront.

Just had a quick look. Can't see much in the way of sectarian comments. Yes, some obvious light hearted comments, i.e. the parts about St. Patricks Day. Maybe some people are looking at it with their anti Northern Irish Protestant glasses on.:cool:

Most certainly not, I have never nor would never say anything anti Protestant. I don't accept that at all. From my brief time viewing the site I recall comments about the famine that were fairly disturbing. I think they called Irish people turnips? Don't get it, so not really offended.

My main gripe is the football apartheid Ireland thing. It's bull****, the FAI have every right to approach any eligible players. I accept the IFA's argument about wasted resources moulding these players! And perhaps something should be done about that but to call it football apartheid is going too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Stormfront? I am a member on O.W.C. and i know nothing about Stormfront.
    You still capitalised it for some reason, though.

Most certainly not, I have never nor would never say anything anti Protestant. I don't accept that at all. From my brief time viewing the site I recall comments about the famine that were fairly disturbing. I think they called Irish people turnips? Don't get it, so not really offended.

My main gripe is the football apartheid Ireland thing. It's bull****, the FAI have every right to approach any eligible players. I accept the IFA's argument about wasted resources moulding these players! And perhaps something should be done about that but to call it football apartheid is going too far.

The IFA are damned pretty much whatever they do in terms of putting money into training up players who will possibly switch later on. There'd be some uproar if they pulled facilities out of 'at risk' areas for example and there'd be uproar if they tried to make players sign some sort of binding declaration at a much younger age than normal. Some NI fans seem to be under the impression that the FAI is a sort of vampiric association preying on NI youngsters and slyly drawing them in. I wouldn't say the FAI is so slick and declaration is a two way street; there must be a desire on the side of the individual player before anything can happen.

The IFA must cast an eye towards themselves as to why they find themselves in their current situation. Their team is terrible, some of the players look uninterested, the support is dwindling, the team still has identity issues; there shouldn't be anything to with that team in terms of symbolism that favours one side or the other. Why would a player born in NI who holds Irish nationality want to play for NI when they can be playing for RoI and actually be in a team that qualifies for things once in a while? What exactly would the incentive be to choose NI over that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭superluck

everyone in NI is part of terrorist organisation, nothing new there about them nordies

superluck wrote: »
    everyone in NI is part of terrorist organisation, nothing new there about them nordies

Idiot!

Someone took a Rubberbandits seriously :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:rolleyes: Yep John hume was a very well known gunman :rolleyes:

realies wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Yep John hume was a very well known gunman :rolleyes:

Mary McAleese was a suicide bomber but she panicked and forgot to detonate when Lizzie came to visit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement