Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belgian blue sires on Dairy cows

• 21-05-2012 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Just wondering what blue sires do dairy men use on here? if any, The ones that are easy calvin and pushed by progressive for dairy cows like Manitou DBZ, FTK or more beefy type like DEP RWS and so on. Have had just a handful of well muscled blues purple in colour down thru the years but dont know what sires they were. The rest have only been very average. Have 1 cow still to calf to AZL. I had high hopes until i read here that on another thread that his calves were plain enough too.
    What i'm asking is, is there a certain type of blue bull that crosses well with friesians (colour wise & muscle) or is it just pure hit and miss?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 farmerpaddy

I heard EBC is crossed very well with FR and MO :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

when it comes to useing a blue on dairy cows there are 4 things you need

1) calving ease
    2) calving ease
    3) a white bull to give you blue and white calves
    4) calving ease

why you would go risking a cow to chase another 30 or 40 euro from a calf is beyond me.

SRI was a great one for spitting out calves. Still can be got if you ask nicely

EDJ was great too but they often came black and white. didnt matter to us because we finished them

VAP is still doing the business in that game too

Advertisement