Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this covered under law?

• 21-05-2012 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Bit of a strange question but I will give it a bash.

My neighbour has took it upon themselves to remove several blocks from the party wall to make repairs to their patio. There was no consultation with me and I'm sure they have no intention of replacing them. This was only days before I was planning to have the height of the party wall raised as I have very limited privacy (something I was going to advise my neighbour of before starting work).

Where does the law (if any) stand on an issue like this? I can't get my head around how someone rationalises that a party wall is some sort of communal store of materials for home repairs. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I fail to see how you were going to advise your neighbour if you are starting work in a few days. Were you going to tell him on the day you started? Sounds like you are both as bad as each other tbh.

As to your problem, have you spoken to your neighbour about it? This would be the first step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Party wall ? Communal wall between ye . I think u need to go around tomorrow and say is there a reason why the wall between us is falling down ?
    I agree also u seemed to plan to increase height of wall but did u ask/consult with neighbour , as it will affect both of ye .
    If ye can't talk about this then u could get prof advice but all that costs money when u go legal and isn't it better to be neighbourly ..

To be honest though it's cheeky to just take for something trivial for a patio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Party walls can be a nightmare. One big problem is that what you think is a shared wall may in fact be his or yours. A problem with older builds that had say a post and wire fence one house or the other builds a wall on their side, over years this as far as everyone is concerned is the boundary or at least down the middle. But it turns out its actually fully in one person property meaning they own it. So Be very sure of your facts before you bring a whole lot of trouble on you.

Advertisement