Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anybody's school actually conducted a project in Maths?

• 21-05-2012 10:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

According to the project Maths syllabus, it is evident that group work is emphasised (along with the use of geometric software). Has anybody's Maths teacher organised group work involving activities such as clinometer operation and probability experiments? Bernoulli trials absolutely fascinate me, riveting my inner marrow to overproduce blood cells and I find it depressing that my Maths teacher has not actually organised a single Bernoulli trial with us.

How have you found your Maths class affected by the new syllabus? Workflow changes were extensive or not?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Lolno, but I know my friend in a nearby girls' school in 5th year did something with clinometers. So jealous I missed out! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

reznov wrote: »
    According to the project Maths syllabus, it is evident that group work is emphasised (along with the use of geometric software). Has anybody's Maths teacher organised group work involving activities such as clinometer operation and probability experiments? Bernoulli trials absolutely fascinate me, riveting my inner marrow to overproduce blood cells and I find it depressing that my Maths teacher has not actually organised a single Bernoulli trial with us.

How have you found your Maths class affected by the new syllabus? Workflow changes were extensive or not?
    No changes at all to demonstrations or anything. Basically have just learnt the stuff out of the book again. Well done SEC. That was worth pumping millions of taxpayers money into something that hasn't actually achieved anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

After several projects, mass collection of data and critical analysis I have come to the conclusion that project maths is shíte.
    And I can write you out a theorem to prove that.
    QED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Yes, when I was in Honours Maths in 5th Year we used clinometers and trundle wheels to find the height of a building next to our school. Twas a rainy and windy day and there we were, awkwardly making out imaginary triangles and jotting them down into our copies in the rain.

CLASS DAY :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

First time I saw a question with a clinometer I was all "The f*** is a clinometer?"

Essentially, very little practical stuff.
    Though, my teacher did use geogebra a few times, and she did a practical demonstration of the idea of induction with dominoes. :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I'm disappointed reznov. To think you have left your vital education in the hands of inferior humans frustrates me. You must leave now in the dead of night and measure the nearest pylon. No clinometers either. Intuition alone will give you the necessary angles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

We all cut out triangular pieces of card and got them to balance on the end of our biros one day after we'd found the whatchamacallit-centre. Best day ever!! :D

...And that's it. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Togepi wrote: »
    We all cut out triangular pieces of card and got them to balance on the end of our biros one day after we'd found the whatchamacallit-centre. Best day ever!! :D

...And that's it. :cool:

Centroid^^

We're heading out this week for clinometer practice.

Can't WAAAAIT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

I'm disappointed reznov. To think you have left your vital education in the hands of inferior humans frustrates me. You must leave now in the dead of night and measure the nearest pylon. No clinometers either. Intuition alone will give you the necessary angles.

Give me a break man. I can bisect a perpendicular without the use of a compass or a straight edge.

Thought sketching an an accurate in circle was hard with a compass? Try using elbows to sketch that circle.

The one practical thing we have done (if this is even practical?) is the use of cardboard triangles to demonstrate 3D trigonometry. Apparently my teacher thought people didn't know how a right angle looks like.

Thank Intgeration school is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

We made spinners out of cereal boxes, I learned a lot that day :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Centroid^^

We're heading out this week for clinometer practice.

Can't WAAAAIT!

I find centroid so sexy. Just the thought of balancing a triangle with a pen makes me drool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Joey. wrote: »
    We made spinners out of cereal boxes, I learned a lot that day :rolleyes:

Totes jealous! :P

Seriously though, spinners are fun. :D

Eathrin wrote: »
    After several projects, mass collection of data and critical analysis I have come to the conclusion that project maths is shíte.
    And I can write you out a theorem to prove that.
    QED

Here's a formal proof for your statement:

To prove: Project Maths fails

Given: Little practice material, useless rushed publications, confused teachers, unwary 6th years

QED, project Maths fails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

reznov wrote: »
    I find centroid so sexy. Just the thought of balancing a triangle with a pen makes me drool.

That is so hot.

sexy_triangle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Project Maths achieves mythic level because the intensity of its ****ness invokes a mind that embodies our educational system itself. Project Maths is as one with our nation. It has a natural physical elegance which initially masks its crudity of taste. But do not be fooled

Advertisement