Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Intelligent voting

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I'm only voting YES so I can finish my sentence* on the ballot paper to reflect my intense hatred at shower of imbeciles that are running this country into the ground and haven't a clue of how to even try to fix the economy as witnessed by Rabbitte the muppet during the week.

* terday, all my money seemed not that far away ♫ ♪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,465 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    I thought Ireland being democratic country, one is free to vote or not to vote for any reason they want to!

Isn't that what democracy is all about??

For a reason yes. Not going to the polling station because they fancy a natter.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

the exact same arguement can be made for voting NO , if you dont understand , you might feel silly afterwards were it to have negative consequences

weak arguement , condescending too

thus abstain from voting, i'm not suggesting just vote yes, your vote will do nothing more than distort the result that should be based on competent and rational voting, not foolish disregard for the state and voting for the craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

LordSmeg wrote: »
    You reject something when its reason or purpose isnt made clear to you.

Heaven fucking forbid people actually take it upon themselves to figure this stuff out, though.

That's just madness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

thus abstain from voting, i'm not suggesting just vote yes, your vote will do nothing more than distort the result that should be based on competent and rational voting, not foolish disregard for the state and voting for the craic
    If a majority of the voting population doesn't vote though I think it somewhat invalidates the outcome because it's not representing the people it's only representing a small minority of the people. If the outcome of the vote doesn't work out down the road the majority of people can just turn around and say we didn't ask for this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ScumLord wrote: »
    If a majority of the voting population doesn't vote though I think it somewhat invalidates the outcome because it's not representing the people it's only representing a small minority of the people. If the outcome of the vote doesn't work out down the road the majority of people can just turn around and say we didn't ask for this.

whats the point in voting if your not voting for the topic. spoile your vote dont us it in the wrong way, making a mockery of the voting system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

what if you didnt understand, and you voted no, and then you realise by voting no it would have negatice implications for you, you'd feel pretty stupid, people in ireland feel they have to vote on everything, thats half the problem, leave voting to people bothered to understand

What if you didnt understand and you voted yes which had a negative effect ? What if you didnt understand and didnt vote and the outcome had a negative effect ? Its all the same bloody thing, each person has a right to vote and nobody else can tell them which way to vote. So any reason you use to justify your vote is valid because there's always gonna be someone who disagrees with it and there can never be anyone who can disregard your vote.

What if you didnt understand and you voted yes which had a negative effect ? What if you didnt understand and didnt vote and the outcome had a negative effect ? Its all the same bloody thing, each person has a right to vote and nobody else can tell them which way to vote. So any reason you use to justify your vote is valid because there's always gonna be someone who disagrees with it and there can never be anyone who can disregard your vote.

if you dont understand full stop you shouldnt vote, of course we all have a right vote, i agree with that, i disagree with people using it stupidly, and voting either yes or no based on NOT UNDERSTANDING what you are voting for is nothing short of utter stupidity and not really justifiable by any means

Heaven fucking forbid people actually take it upon themselves to figure this stuff out, though.

That's just madness!

If the government is advocating a yes vote and feels its necessary for the protection of the state then they should be educating people. Plenty of people do figure things out for themselves but if your in a position to say something is this important and then say "let people figure it out for themselves" to be honest you really have no business in a position to be running a country.

Likewise anyone who thinks someone else should not be voting because they disagree with their reason for voting or the vote they cast really do not understand the foundation which this state is built upon. If everyone can vote, then everyone can vote which ever the hell way they want for whatever reason they want. Welcome to democracy !!

if you dont understand full stop you shouldnt vote, of course we all have a right vote, i agree with that, i disagree with people using it stupidly, and voting either yes or no based on NOT UNDERSTANDING what you are voting for is nothing short of utter stupidity and not really justifiable by any means

Because no changes can be made if its a no vote thats why it would be rejected by someone who doesnt understand it.

You dont stand back and reject your right to vote on something because you think you have no right to vote on it if you dont understand it. Thats what would be utterly stupid. I dont understand this let others make the decision for me rather than saying I think no changes should be made until this all becomes clearer and voting accordingly.

• Advertisement

If the government is advocating a yes vote and feels its necessary for the protection of the state then they should be educating people.

Fine, but if you don't feel sufficiently educated after that the next step is to take it upon yourself to engage in extra research until you do. Not to go "lol, I dunno" and vote anyway.

Likewise anyone who thinks someone else should not be voting because they disagree with their reason for voting or the vote they cast really do not understand the foundation which this state is built upon.

Well done on arguing against something I've not said.
    Have a gold star.
    If everyone can vote, then everyone can vote which ever the hell way they want for whatever reason they want.

Of course they can, the ones that refuse to honour their side of the deal to be informed voters are just shitty people and should be treated with contempt.
    But nobody is stopping them from casting their vote, even if they feel that as an adult a little reading and critical thinking is just simply too much to ask.

Welcome to democracy !!

fuck off with that bullshit, protecting people's inability to live up to the responsibilities that come with having a vote isn't "democracy". And couching your terrible insistence that we respect peoples wilful ignorance isn't going to become legitimate just because you like to use that word like an insta-win trump card.

if you dont understand full stop you shouldnt vote,
    I would say there's very few people that fully understand what's going to happen. People don't trust the politicians and bankers that came up with this deal and we all know at the back of our minds that the people making this deal are probably covering their own arses as much as anything. It's not just about understanding what changes will be made in Ireland, there will be other ramifications down the road that we won't be able to vote on.

I'm voting no because I don't trust the people making the deal, I don't understand what's going to happen and I'm not willing to put in the months of research I'd need to fully understand how it would effect me and my country (reading a pamphlet and listening to the polar opposite war of words between the vested interests isn't really enough). I think anyone that thinks they fully understand this is only reading the synopsis on the back of the book and don't even have access to the rest of the book to educate themselves any further.

I think I'm fully entitled and right to vote no as the people making the deal want the biased banking system to return to power even though we all know it will fail again as failure is a reoccurring and desired side effect of the current monetary system.

Fine, but if you don't feel sufficiently educated after that the next step is to take it upon yourself to engage in extra research until you do. Not to go "lol, I dunno" and vote anyway.

This is a pretty complex thing we are voting on, not everyone is going to be able to do the research and write a fcukin thesis on why they are voting. The media is the means by which this information is given to people so if nobody can adequately get the necessary information across that way for people to make an informed decision then you cannot moan about people being uninformed on the matter.

Well done on arguing against something I've not said.
    Have a gold star.

Edit: Perhaps you didnt I was just speaking generally at the view that some peopels opinions are more valid than others despite that not actually being the case as far as the law ans peoples rights in this country are concerned. It wasnt meant as an attack on you personally.

Of course they can, the ones that refuse to honour their side of the deal to be informed voters are just shitty people and should be treated with contempt.
    But nobody is stopping them from casting their vote, even if they feel that as an adult a little reading and critical thinking is just simply too much to ask.

You dont want people voting because you disagree with their reasoning. And your calling these people uninformed shítty people who should be treated with contempt ? Because you dont like that they vote ?
    fuck off with that bullshit, protecting people's inability to live up to the responsibilities that come with having a vote isn't "democracy". And couching your terrible insistence that we respect peoples wilful ignorance isn't going to become legitimate just because you like to use that word like an insta-win trump card.

I used it because its a fcukin fact. This is a democracy and each persons vote is equal regardless of the reasons they cast it. If you dont understand that and insist your vote is more valid than others and they should be treated with contempt because of that fact they your not really in keeping with the rest of people in this democracy. Your the odd one out not those who are misinformed or uninformed. If you want people to be informed then go out and inform them, if not shut your fcukin hole and stop whinging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Pedant wrote: »
    The OP raises a valid question.

The brand of democracy we live in at the minute seems to base its legitimacy on the premise that the majority will of the electorate is infallible. This is a clear fallacy.

If no-one is infallible, how would the majority of the electorate be infallible?

The brand of democracy we live in at the moment is based on the majority, not the infallibility of the majority.

What a silly premise.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

This is a pretty complex thing we are voting on, not everyone is going to be able to do the research and write a fcukin thesis on why they are voting. The media is the means by which this information is given to people so if nobody can adequately get the necessary information across that way for people to make an informed decision then you cannot moan about people being uninformed on the matter.

Edit: Perhaps you didnt I was just speaking generally at the view that some peopels opinions are more valid than others despite that not actually being the case as far as the law ans peoples rights in this country are concerned. It wasnt meant as an attack on you personally.

You dont want people voting because you disagree with their reasoning. And your calling these people uninformed shítty people who should be treated with contempt ? Because you dont like that they vote ?

I used it because its a fcukin fact. This is a democracy and each persons vote is equal regardless of the reasons they cast it. If you dont understand that and insist your vote is more valid than others and they should be treated with contempt because of that fact they your not really in keeping with the rest of people in this democracy. Your the odd one out not those who are misinformed or uninformed. If you want people to be informed then go out and inform them, if not shut your fcukin hole and stop whinging.

You hurt my brain, couldn't be arsed arguing against your points as you'll no doubt come back with something even more insane than what you've just posted.

Please shread your voting card

leggit wrote: »
    You hurt my brain, couldn't be arsed arguing against your points as you'll no doubt come back with something even more insane than what you've just posted.

Please shread your voting card

You couldnt be arsed discussing any points, call me insane for stating we live in a democracy where everyone's vote is equal and think I shouldnt be voting because of that ?

This is logical and reasoned thought to you ?

This is a pretty complex thing we are voting on, not everyone is going to be able to do the research and write a fcukin thesis on why they are voting.

Then they should abstain form voting until they know what they're voting on.
    It's a simple concept.
    The media is the means by which this information is given to people so if nobody can adequately get the necessary information across that way for people to make an informed decision then you cannot moan about people being uninformed on the matter.

Wow, so the only source of information for people is the media. It's a crying shame we never got around to creating some kind of virtual, world spanning network of computers absolutely full of information. A damn, damn shame.
    Or educated people to the point of being able to read and reason on their own from multiple sources. That'd have been swell too.

Pretty much, I consider it contemptible that people who would openly admit they don't understand what they're doing would still go and vote.
    This is not unreasonable, they are terrible people.

Cry me a river, kid.
    Stop lauding laziness and ignorance.

I don't care if you believe that the "rest of this democracy" think that voting with total ignorance is just fine.
    They are wrong and so are you.

I wonder why you're so insistent that it's ok that people who have no damn clue what they're doing, by their own admission, should just vote anyway. What do we gain in this scenario? That if enough people just vote blindly that we'll magically reach the best decision?
    That the result is more valid by sheer weight of numbers involved in reaching it, regardless of the understanding those voting had of the issue.

And I do love the 'retort' to the idea that people need to take their responsibilities seriously is "why don't you go spoon feed them, then?"

And as a final repetition, because you can't seem to grasp it. I understand and accept that all votes are equal, but what I'm driving at and you're constantly ignoring, is that if you want to vote you have a responsibility to be informed about what it is you're voting on.
    If you can't do that then you should do the decent thing and stay at home. And there is no shame in that.

However claiming it's too hard or people didn't spoon feed you enough information or whatever else you want to make up isn't an excuse, it's a cop out and those who engage in it and those who are apologists for it are as bad as each other.

And as a final repetition, because you can't seem to grasp it. I understand and accept that all votes are equal, but what I'm driving at and you're constantly ignoring, is that if you want to vote you have a responsibility to be informed about what it is you're voting on.
    If you can't do that then you should do the decent thing and stay at home. And there is no shame in that.
    I don't see how anyone could be sure they understand the treaty. It was written by hundreds of politicians, solicitors, economists and all sorts of highly educated collage graduates across Europe. How can one average Joe citizen understand what's really happening? This like all votes is a popularity contest, the people will vote for the side they feel they trust.

Because no changes can be made if its a no vote thats why it would be rejected by someone who doesnt understand it.

You dont stand back and reject your right to vote on something because you think you have no right to vote on it if you dont understand it. Thats what would be utterly stupid.

so voting on something you dont understand is a smart thing to do?
    I dont understand this let others make the decision for me rather than saying I think no changes should be made until this all becomes clearer and voting accordingly.

you do understand voting no does not mean NOTHING will happen, quite the opposite.

• Advertisement

This like all votes is a popularity contest, the people will vote for the side they feel they trust.

http://xbradtc.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/facepalm.jpg

Then they should abstain form voting until they know what they're voting on.
    It's a simple concept.

One which would enable any government to pass anything as long as it was obscure enough. Voting to stop something because you think it hasnt been made clear enough is a perfectly valid reason to vote.
    Wow, so the only source of information for people is the media. It's a crying shame we never got around to creating some kind of virtual, world spanning network of computers absolutely full of information. A damn, damn shame.
    Or educated people to the point of being able to read and reason on their own from multiple sources. That'd have been swell too.

Gold star for you too it seems. Arent we the clever lads !! Do you disagree with the statement that the main avenue for informing voter's of a referendum is the media ? I dotn think your would because that would be particularly ignorant to think so. So if the information coming out in the media (which is what makes up the vast majority of what discussion on social media is about) is too vague and obscure to inform people sufficiently then your gonna end up with lots of uninformed people.

Its nice to base your view in an ideal word though like you do. Nice but absolutely pointless. If the government want a yes vote they campaign for a yes vote. Because they know (as does anyone else with an ounce of cop on) that most people dont have a background in european law and rely on the information thats given in the media to decide which way they will vote.

Pretty much, I consider it contemptible that people who would openly admit they don't understand what they're doing would still go and vote.
    This is not unreasonable, they are terrible people.

Terrible people now ? That is unreasonable as a matter of fact, pretty ignorant too. Perhaps we are talking about different people here, I'm not talking about people who dont understand what they are doing I am talking about people who vote no because they dont understand the implications of the compact. Its not unreasonable to reject something which you do not understand because you do not understand it. If its vague and unclear how this will affect things its not unreasonable to vote against it on those grounds as that will stop any changes.

Cry me a river, kid.
    Stop lauding laziness and ignorance.

I don't care if you believe that the "rest of this democracy" think that voting with total ignorance is just fine.
    They are wrong and so are you.

I wonder why you're so insistent that it's ok that people who have no damn clue what they're doing, by their own admission, should just vote anyway. What do we gain in this scenario? That if enough people just vote blindly that we'll magically reach the best decision?
    That the result is more valid by sheer weight of numbers involved in reaching it, regardless of the understanding those voting had of the issue.

And I do love the 'retort' to the idea that people need to take their responsibilities seriously is "why don't you go spoon feed them, then?"

However claiming it's too hard or people didn't spoon feed you enough information or whatever else you want to make up isn't an excuse, it's a cop out and those who engage in it and those who are apologists for it are as bad as each other.

I wont respond to the rest of your gibberish as I dont think your even arguing against anything I have actually said. You responded to me remember ?, make some sort of an attempt to figure out my point before launching into your "people are stupid, I r smarter" speeches.

I don't see how anyone could be sure they understand the treaty. It was written by hundreds of politicians, solicitors, economists and all sorts of highly educated collage graduates across Europe. How can one average Joe citizen understand what's really happening? This like all votes is a popularity contest, the people will vote for the side they feel they trust.

This is getting into another issue, which is whether or not we ought to be putting this stuff to plebiscite anyway (and we probably shouldn't), but if we're going to insist upon this method then we'd damn well better start making an effort.

And frankly it's not *that* hard. The notion that "it's written by all these smart people, therefore it's hard, therefore I won't bother" is far more prevalent than it ought to be. Still a bit of cop out.

Honestly, if we had the government tell us we're too thick to make a decision like this, we'd suddenly have 4 million or so people very well versed in the matter at hand. But left alone, we like to play at being too stupid to read....

One which would enable any government to pass anything as long as it was obscure enough. Voting to stop something because you think it hasnt been made clear enough is a perfectly valid reason to vote.

it's a valid reason to stay away.
    There is no excuse for not understanding what you're voting on, no matter how much you wish there were.

Gold star for you too it seems. Arent we the clever lads !! Do you disagree with the statement that the main avenue for informing voter's of a referendum is the media ? I dotn think your would because that would be particularly ignorant to think so. So if the information coming out in the media (which is what makes up the vast majority of what discussion on social media is about) is too vague and obscure to inform people sufficiently then your gonna end up with lots of uninformed people.

Well, you keep making excuses for people if you feel you must. It's pathetic, but seeing as you believe they're just too damn thick to know any better it's par the course.
    Its nice to base your view in an ideal word though like you do. Nice but absolutely pointless. If the government want a yes vote they campaign for a yes vote. Because they know (as does anyone else with an ounce of cop on) that most people dont have a background in european law and rely on the information thats given in the media to decide which way they will vote.

So the people are too dumb to understand the issue, how simply fascinating.
    Terrible people now ? That is unreasonable as a matter of fact, pretty ignorant too. Perhaps we are talking about different people here, I'm not talking about people who dont understand what they are doing I am talking about people who vote no because they dont understand the implications of the compact. Its not unreasonable to reject something which you do not understand because you do not understand it. If its vague and unclear how this will affect things its not unreasonable to vote against it on those grounds as that will stop any changes.

If "I can't predict the future with a high degree of accuracy" was a valid reason to vote no then no referendum would ever pass.
    It's lazy reasoning for lazy people.
    Try harder, be better.

I wont respond to the rest of your gibberish as I dont think your even arguing against anything I have actually said. You responded to me remember ?, make some sort of an attempt to figure out my point before launching into your "people are stupid, I r smarter" speeches.

Good boy, fail at understanding everything, then leave.

so voting on something you dont understand is a smart thing to do?

you do understand voting no does not mean NOTHING will happen, quite the opposite.

You can read cant you ? The answer to those questions is in the post you quoted. You do also understand I didnt say nothing will happen ? I said no changes will be made if the compact is rejected which is true. Those who want this fiscal compact to be ratified are campaigning to get a yes vote by informing people about it and why they should vote yes.

If they dont bother informing people then by your reasoning nobody should vote only those who have been informed. So the more obscure the details are the less say the people get about it. If the government cannot inform the people as to why they should vote yes in this referendum then in all liklihood they will vote no. Some will do it from being misinformed about how it will affect cuts and austerity, others will do it because it hasnt been made clear enough to them and they feel like it shouldnt be ratified until it has been made clear and others will do it because they do not want a fiscal compact. Its a yes or no situation and if its not shown it should be a yes then its gonna be a no.

As I said if people dont vote because they dont understand it then it would be very much in the governments interest not to inform people. Which some would argue they tried to do with lisbon1. Its up to those who wish to implement this to convince the people it should be implemented.

it's a valid reason to stay away.
    There is no excuse for not understanding what you're voting on, no matter how much you wish there were.

Yeah great, propose a change to the constitution fail to inform people about it and then tell everyone they shoudlnt vote unless they understand it. Still not sure you know what a democracy is.
    Well, you keep making excuses for people if you feel you must. It's pathetic, but seeing as you believe they're just too damn thick to know any better it's par the course.

So the people are too dumb to understand the issue, how simply fascinating.

Your the one who thinks they are too thick to have a valid opinion so pull the other one on that. If your proposing a change to something you have to explain why and gain support for it, its not a case of they are implementing something unless they are stopped its a case of they can only implement it if people agree with it. If you want people to agree you inform them if not you have absolutely no right to whinge about uninformed voters.

Good boy, fail at understanding everything, then leave.

So very frustrating listening to someone call others shítty, contemptible terrible people becauause they have the cheek to vote how they want to vote. I'm sorry I cant listen to you any more. Thats not me failing to understand you its me not wanting to waste any more time listening to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

True but I prefer reading up on this and say opinions from respected economists on it rather than election manifestos which are largely bull, especially in Ireland with coalitions.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I think whatever way you look at it the bottom line is that the purpose of a vote is to make an informed decision. There's no shortage of info, quite the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I have read up a bit on the treaty & I think I have a reasonable understanding it, BUT.

- I do not understand the risks & consequences of voting YES
    (Example: How will the 'structural defecit' be calculated ?)

and
    - I do not understand the risks & consequences of voting NO
    (Example: Can we sign up to the treaty at a later stage?)

I believe nobody knows the answers to these & similar questions, and both the yes & no sides are lying at least some of the time.

I am leaning towards a 'NO' vote.

- Ireland must not & should not accept responsibility for Bank bailout debt.
    - Europe MUST develop a monetary policy/aka QE/aka ECB prints more money as part of the solution here.
    - A 'YES' is an indication that I see the treaty as the best solution. It is not.
    - A 'NO' will hopefully put at least some pressure on politicians to come up with a better way.

Of course, I could be wrong...

Unfortunately the damage is done the previous shower decided to take on the banks debt as our debt . The country is now in massive debt and needs to borrow money if we don't vote yes the european purses will close.
    We as a nation will still have to borrow money on the open Market which will mean higher interest rates .
    Saying no I like saying no I don't wanna get drunk after drinking 10 shots .
    That's how I understand it anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

And frankly it's not *that* hard. The notion that "it's written by all these smart people, therefore it's hard, therefore I won't bother" is far more prevalent than it ought to be. Still a bit of cop out.

At Lisbon I, the head of the referendum commission was on a panel interview on RTÉ radio & was asked a straight question around one of the campaign points — can't remember exactly, but it was something along the lines of "Could abortion be introduced in Ireland, if someone in another country took a case to the European Court on the basis of the European Convention on Human Rights?"

The guy spend 2-3 minutes of live air-time shuffling through papers, before giving a complete non-commital answer. If an Irish judge heading up an independent commission can't say with certainty the affect a treaty will have, how do you expect the average citizen to grasp it?

The trouble with EU referenda is that it's often not black or white — it's not like divorce, where you can say 'do you want to introduce it, yes or no?'

(Edit: Couldn't think of his name, it was Iarfhlaith O'Neill, a High Court judge)

• Advertisement

Sorry QMV, not abortion. From RTÉ news website:
    When asked to explain one of the listed items which is to be dealt with by QMV rather than unanimity, the members of the commission were unable to explain what it meant.

The area concerned is listed as 'arrangements for the control of implementing powers'. Mr Justice O'Neill said there was not precision about exactly what it meant, but was unable to clarify further.

Yeah great, propose a change to the constitution fail to inform people about it and then tell everyone they shoudlnt vote unless they understand it. Still not sure you know what a democracy is.

Well, insisting that "democracy" means whatever you've decided and nobody has any responsibility to educate themselves has certainly worked wonders for you here.

Your the one who thinks they are too thick to have a valid opinion

Well done on showing me that you don't read what's in front of you.
    Let me spell this out for you. Again.

I think that knowingly going to the polls with no idea what the issue is and voting is wrong. And not that I've said "hey, you, you have no idea! Go away!" that the person them self knows full well they don't understand but are voting anyway.

Now, care to explain to me how you managed to get your little nugget of lies from the above.

so pull the other one on that. If your proposing a change to something you have to explain why and gain support for it, its not a case of they are implementing something unless they are stopped its a case of they can only implement it if people agree with it. If you want people to agree you inform them if not you have absolutely no right to whinge about uninformed voters.

Aww, the poor little grown adults, incapable of reading or learning on their own. How terrible.
    But, seriously, it is the responsibility of every voter to be an informed voter. Stop expecting everyone else to do that work for them, they want to vote - do some basic fucking research first.

So very frustrating listening to someone call others shítty, contemptible terrible people becauause they have the cheek to vote how they want to vote.

Well done, you're really going out of your way to demonstrate the depths of your dishonesty.

I'm sorry I cant listen to you any more. Thats not me failing to understand you its me not wanting to waste any more time listening to you.

Run along then, boy.

^^^ Well done on being a dick, because thats about all you've managed there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,478 ✭✭✭TheChizler

^^^ Well done on being a dick, because thats about all you've managed there.
    He might be being a dick, but you haven't acknowledged what he's asking you. Do you think that a voter is responsible to make a reasonable attempt at understanding the treaty before voting?

I think we would all agree with you that a no vote would be understandable if there was a successful effort to restrict public access to information, but that isn't the case here. The complete wording of the treaty has been delivered to most homes in the country, at considerable cost. You don't have to have a degree in EU law to get the gist of it. Anyone can attain a reasonable understanding and have some idea of the possible risks/outcomes by skimming it, discussing it with others, and watching a bit of tv.

Feathers wrote: »
    At Lisbon I, the head of the referendum commission was on a panel interview on RTÉ radio & was asked a straight question around one of the campaign points — can't remember exactly, but it was something along the lines of "Could abortion be introduced in Ireland, if someone in another country took a case to the European Court on the basis of the European Convention on Human Rights?"

The guy spend 2-3 minutes of live air-time shuffling through papers, before giving a complete non-commital answer. If an Irish judge heading up an independent commission can't say with certainty the affect a treaty will have, how do you expect the average citizen to grasp it?

The trouble with EU referenda is that it's often not black or white — it's not like divorce, where you can say 'do you want to introduce it, yes or no?'

(Edit: Couldn't think of his name, it was Iarfhlaith O'Neill, a High Court judge)

All we're looking for is an informed opinion not a difinitive analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

this time around after the lisbon treaties i decided i'd read up on it myself and make my own mind up without listening to either the yes or no side because last time they both came out with bare faced lies and im sure this time is no different

TheChizler wrote: »
    He might be being a dick, but you haven't acknowledged what he's asking you. Do you think that a voter is responsible to make a reasonable attempt at understanding the treaty before voting?

I think we would all agree with you that a no vote would be understandable if there was a successful effort to restrict public access to information, but that isn't the case here. The complete wording of the treaty has been delivered to most homes in the country, at considerable cost. You don't have to have a degree in EU law to get the gist of it. Anyone can attain a reasonable understanding and have some idea of the possible risks/outcomes by skimming it, discussing it with others, and watching a bit of tv.

I didnt see him ask a question, he was just being a dick.

Do people have a responsibility to be informed voters ? Yes, there is a certain responsibility there but no obligation and to categorise people who vote no because of a lack of understanding as terrible people, shítty people, worthy of contempt is going a bit overboard. These people have a right to vote, they are under no obligation to research anything before doing so. Every vote is as valid as any other regardless of the reasons it was made.

You can point and name call all you want but it doesnt change anything, we all know how most people make their minds up on these things. There is also a responsibility for those who created this treaty and who want it ratified to inform people about it and also a responsibility for those in office who disagree with it to inform people why it shoudlnt be passed.

We all know the majority of voters wont do their own research on this but take their cue from those they have voted into office. A lot of people wouldnt be confident that they would understand these things and trust their representatives to tell them what it all means.

There is no moral obligation to do anything before voting, there cant be and still protect the privacy and right for someone to vote. Its a private and personal matter, their reasons are their own and cannot be invalid if their vote is to be valid. I dont see all this name calling as anything other than "I wish we lived in an ideal world, I hate stupid people". That applies to a hell of a lot of things and boils down to nothing but one persons personal opinion and gripes because others choose to do something they dont want them to do.

kneemos wrote: »
    All we're looking for is an informed opinion not a difinitive analysis.

Actually I was addressing the point of voter responsibility to inform themselves. Obviously people should make some effort. But equally the government shouldn't be putting forward deliberately ambiguous or obtuse treaties in the first place if they want them to pass. (Altthough the whole idea of the government having a side at all is wrong IMO )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,478 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Feathers wrote: »
    (Altthough the whole idea of the government having a side at all is wrong IMO )

I can see what you're saying, that they shouldn't be trying to influence the people they're elected to represent, but that's what the Referendum Commission is there for I suppose. If you look at it from the point of view that their role is to do what they feel is best for the country then it's warranted. Maybe they should emphasise their support stems from their memberships of respective parties, not their role as Taoiseach or Ministers.

TheChizler wrote: »
    I can see what you're saying, that they shouldn't be trying to influence the people they're elected to represent, but that's what the Referendum Commission is there for I suppose. If you look at it from the point of view that their role is to do what they feel is best for the country then it's warranted. Maybe they should emphasise their support stems from their memberships of respective parties, not their role as Taoiseach or Ministers.

I would say that's only true when they're making a decision on our behalf. That's not what a referendum is about though, it's meant to be them asking for our decision & then acting on it & representing it as necessary.

As a partial group with undue influence on the electorate, I'd prefer to see a mortitorium on elected officials (or Oireachtas members at least) giving opinions during referenda. Political parties could still give press releases through their members of staff & it would rightly reduce the media coverage received. It's too hard to separate where 'Enda Kenny, Taoiseach' ends and 'Enda Kenny, FG member/ordinary citizen' begins.

Might be a little extreme, but would avoid the problems we have at present. Are current system fails as the "upside-down pyramid" model of influence/decision-making that modern democracy is meant to be.
    While canvassing for a Yes vote in the referendum in Limerick today, Mr Kenny said a Yes vote was a yes to the euro, to Europe and the European Union

RTÉ News

We're talking about people educating themselves about the issues, but they have to wade through the mire of political spin around it first, straight from the mouths of people who are meant to be the most informed…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

If most people wouldn't be capable of passing such a test and thus being unable to participate in a vote, then wouldn't this lead to politics becoming even more unrepresentative and possibly unfair than it already is?

No. It's exactly like voting for your neighbouring country in Eurovision even though you haven't heard the song. the vote isn't representative of any policy, ideals or viewpoint whatsoever!

Advertisement