Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could there be legal problems with putting a Log Cabin in the back garden?

• 21-05-2012 10:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭

My uncle who has being living with his brother all his life is finally considering moving out. Now the problem is his share of the house is down to a commiserable 20k which leaves very few options, so the idea is basically a log cabin in the back garden.

What i am looking to know is:

He says he could get in trouble because it's another residence and the County Council may intervene? Is this true and if so is there a way around it?

Are there any options available to make this run smoothly without problems arising relating to putting another "house" in the garden?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

He would need planning permission first. You can seek retention permission but this is more expensive and there is no guarantee that planning would be granted. Seek professional advise from an Architect, Engineer or Surveyor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭ByronB

Thanks Bullseye so who would be the best to ring to find this out? Even the county council maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Call up your local CoCo and ask to meet with a Planning Officer.

Depending on the zoning of the area, this could be a long arduous path.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

The CoCo won't seriously entertain a person who comes without an architect.
    A second dwelling in a back garden would not be allowed if it is a log cabin. It would not meet any of the planning requirements for a dwelling. A log cabin is allowed as an annexe to an existing dwelling provided it is not for human habitation. It can be installed without planning in some circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

How about something like this. I know it relates to British law but could be an option..............

http://www.boutiquemodern.co.uk/activities/garden-accommodation

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

frag420 wrote: »
    How about something like this. I know it relates to British law but could be an option..............

http://www.boutiquemodern.co.uk/activities/garden-accommodation

You will note that it must be ancillary to the main house. It can't be a stand alone dwelling. Irish law is quite similar although you will note that they are being careful to seek approval. It is not as simple as putting something up in the garden.

From the above replies i understand there will be problems with this. Could anyone tell me why there are such rules on putting something in your own garden that will involve using the same entrance, same address and not in the way of anyone thanks.

And do you agree with the laws on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

ByronB wrote: »
    From the above replies i understand there will be problems with this. Could anyone tell me why there are such rules on putting something in your own garden that will involve using the same entrance, same address and not in the way of anyone thanks.

And do you agree with the laws on this?

The laws are called the planning acts, an example http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0030/index.html

It's a huge area of law with legislation going back years but the main act is 1963 if I remember correctly.

Do I think such laws are a good idea, yes in short, no one is saying you can't do it, just you need to go through a process to make sure the development is good for the whole community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

The term that will be applied is that it's an intensification of a permitted use. There is permission for one dwelling on the site, but adding another creates more traffic, water demand, sewerage, etc. you may say that it's still the same number of people (your uncle & his brother), but planning does not act like that.

Planning permission applies to the land, not the person. So if you got permission for a house on the site it can (generally) be built by anyone. The issue the council may have is that if both men sold their separate dwellings to families with 2 kids, you'd have 8 people living on a site designed for less. There are also issues relating to private garden space, distances from boundaries, impact on neighbours. You should chat to a local arch or arch tech before going into the council.

Incidentally 1963 act was superseded in 2000, with further revisions since. There's a consolidated version on the environ.ie website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Corkblowin wrote: »
    The term that will be applied is that it's an intensification of a permitted use. There is permission for one dwelling on the site, but adding another creates more traffic, water demand, sewerage, etc. you may say that it's still the same number of people (your uncle & his brother), but planning does not act like that.

Planning permission applies to the land, not the person. So if you got permission for a house on the site it can (generally) be built by anyone. The issue the council may have is that if both men sold their separate dwellings to families with 2 kids, you'd have 8 people living on a site designed for less. There are also issues relating to private garden space, distances from boundaries, impact on neighbours. You should chat to a local arch or arch tech before going into the council.

Incidentally 1963 act was superseded in 2000, with further revisions since. There's a consolidated version on the environ.ie website.

I should have said original act is 1963.

• Advertisement

Wow yeah i see, so i am starting to understand why now, i didn't think to take all them factors into account.

Aw well, the process it is then.

Advertisement